Author Topic: new here  (Read 2577 times)

Offline jen9163

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
new here
« on: May 12, 2005, 10:35:55 pm »
I have just aquired two rottie pups both boys, one is 8 1/2 weeks old the other baby is 12 weeks old. Does anyone have any suggestions about trying to train two pups together, or should I train one at a time?

lins_saving_grace

Re: new here
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 10:06:37 am »
You sound like me.  One 14 weeks and one 9 months.  I don't think there's a good rule to this one...I've tried growing 2 more arms and adding 4 more eyes...but it's not working quite as well as I had hoped. 
Have you tried to pray?  :)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 01:34:31 pm »
Too funny Lins..... I can tell you have been in the game for awhile lol..... But I would say there are both good and bad sides with the two methods. Dogs tend to take after both the good and bad behavior, so if they see the other do something it may make it easier to get the other to do the same, but unfortunately that works even on the bad behavior. I have always opted to train my dogs one by one, at least until they have basic obedience, then I can have more than one of them at a time, but at first I have found it easier to only have one dog to concentrate on at the time.

Good luck

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 07:57:03 pm »
Well, it's not impossible!  That's the good news.  I began with a rott/lab mix of 8 weeks old and added a 14 week old female rottweiler a couple weeks later.  I will tell you that I had help, though.  I did not train my dogs alone as they belong to me and my boyfriend together.  We took them to classes together - sometimes both pups to a class with one of us assigned to one pup each the entire class so as not to confuse.  Sometimes I took one pup to a class on one night and another to a class on another night.  That way they received simultaneous training and attended the same classes separately.  In the end they both passed the CGC test, but I will tell you that they can still be a handful.  It really takes a lot of love and dedication, because they can become excited over birds, other dogs, etc. and not all walks are leisurely as planned.  But, I love them infinitely, so I am willing to put up with the challenge prescribed by these strong, intelligent beings.  They are part of my family, so-much-so that I recently added a third - the little bugger Betti.  And I am unable to walk all three at the same time.  I have to either alternate them or my significant other takes charge of either one or two.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 08:18:49 am »
Hi. I train separate & together. They each need a little 1 on 1 with you. Apache is 2-1/2 & Kiya is 1. At my house everyday is a training day. I don't have enough time to walk the dogs & ride my horse, so I combined them. I ride my horse & the 2 dogs (on leads) walk along side. We've made great progress, I increase the distance & we can trot together now (beats walking). I could let Apache off lead, before Kiya came to us he was trained off lead. Kiya's too young yet & her prey drive is very strong. She'll chase anything deer, squirrils, birds & even bugs that cross her path.
Carolyn
Carolyn