Author Topic: We are changing vets, everything that they did to Dilbert was wrong!  (Read 7548 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
I have been reading up on what Dilbert had after his car accident, pneumothorax. And what our vets did was wrong! He sould have never been moved around and he should have been in a oxygen cage right away! When we brought him in the vet examined him was pushing in on his abdomine and he started wheezing, then she was like himm I'm not sure why he is doing that. Well maybe cuz he was hit by a car and is having trouble breathing! Then she did it again. Then she listened to his lungs and she was like well he seems fine you can take him home and just watch his breathing. She said that she would like to take x rays but from the sounds of his lungs he is fine.Then I asked for the xrays to be on the safe side. So they take him back for the x rays. One of the tech comes back and said that when he was on his back he had trouble breathing. From what I have read, doing the xrays and having the dog on their back can mean life or death for the animal. The best thing for them is to put them in the oxygen cage right away and monitor their breathing. We didn't know this, and we trusted what they vet was doing. The xrays were fuzzy and she couldn't really tell if there was damage but his heart was lifted from the rib cage and it looks like there could be air in his chest. But she said to take him home and monitor his breathing. BUt he'll be fine. Never told us to keep him confined and don't let him move at all. We kept him in his cage let him eat but we did take him out to pee ect. We took him to the emergency vet a 4am because we knew something was wrong. The vet comes in listens to his lungs says that she will take x rays again! (according to what I have read, the person should be able to tell that there is something wrong in the lungs by listening to the lungs alone, no xrays as this is not good for the dog) And she says she may need to tap and put him on oxygen. She said that he is fine, he has pulmonary contusions, never mentioned anything about the air in his cheast.Althoug h she has less than five years experience. To come pick him up at 8am and take him to our vet for the day. In case a tap needs to be done and if he needs to be on Oxygen. He should have never left the emergency! So we take him to our vet and at about 2pm the other vet that is there calls, they took more xrays and he has pneomothorax, more than 50 air is in his chest and he is having trouble breathing. They are going to do a chest tap. But he is going to be fine. 80% chance that he will be ok. I call at 3pm to see how he is doing, they are just doing the chest tap now!!! And the vet will call us. She calls us about 20 min later and he is breathing much better but we need to take him to the emergnecy vet for the weekend in case they need to do another  tap. So we pick him up at 6pm and he looks happy to see us he wasn't put on Oxygen and she shows us the xrays they took. It was bad, he barley had room to breath, I ask is it a sign that it is a small holesince it took 24 hrs to happen. She said no it happend pretty fast, but he'll be just fine. So we take him back the the emergency and they take him right in the vet tech listens to his lungs right away and she said that he it doesn't sound good in there and the vet comes in looks with the xrays from our vet and says this in not good. This type of thing needs to be treated agressively(sp) right away, he needs to no be moved and on oxygen. He needed this from the start.She listens to his lungs and says that it is touch and go. His lungs are badly damaged, they are going to put him on oxygen and pain meds. The tech comes back in, I am bawling at this point and we ask how can this be? The other vet just said that he would be fine. She said that his condition is serious but his gums are pink which shows that there is oxygen circulating. He is in intensive care, so someone is watching him at all times. And we will do all that we can. We get home and Tim looks up this vet and sees that she has 20+ yrs experiance, and she is the only one that was truthful with us on his condition. I only wish that we had seen her from the beginning, maybe things would be different. At 8:00 the vet calls and Tim comes to see me crying, Dilbert is not well and they don't know if he will make it. We get there and well I don't want to go into the details but they did 2 chest taps in 2 hrs and the air was just filling back into his chest. The vet was crying saying that his lungs are just to damaged and anything else they do will just prolong his pain. He just can't breath. The best thing to do is put him to sleep. It is the hardest thing I ever had to do, we were by his side when he passed away. I think that he held on just for us so we could all say goodbye. I know that I am venting at the vets, but how could they not know, the last vet said that he should bave been on oxygen from the beginning. I am just so mad, why didn't I know this? I know that none of this will bring him back, but it makes me so mad. I trusted these people they said that he would be ok! Thank you all for listening  :)
So now we are changing vets and we are basically going to interview these people before we make our decision. 
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: We are changing vets, everything that they did to Dilbert was wrong!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 02:28:31 pm »
Nina, I am so so sorry! That is terrible. I can't stand it.  :'(
I'm just so sorry you had to go through that.

Blair

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 02:31:04 pm »
 :'( Im sorry you had to go through this....Again you and your family are in my prayers.

Offline HersheysMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 02:32:10 pm »
I'm so sorry that this happened--you and your family are in my prayers.
Tricia, human mother of Hershey, born 7/6/2004

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 02:44:10 pm »
I'm so sorry Nina. That's a horrible thing to go through.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 02:53:50 pm »
What a terrible story Nina!  I am so sorry that you had to go through this. Hopefully you will find a wonderful vet who is experienced enough to know what to do in emergency situations.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 02:58:10 pm »
Im so very sorry to hear what you went thru. You certainly tried to get the best care & treatment for your boy, unfortunatley thats all we can do is try. Hang in there.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 03:02:05 pm »
Thank you all for your kind words. The vet that we are thinking of changing to is a holistic vet. He has 20+ yrs experiance. He and his wife own the practice and she is also a vet. He also has many other degrees and he does studies in Tibet. Both his dogs lived to over 25 yrs old! One of Tim's co workers takes her dog to him and she said that he is really good and the other vets there are as well. So I think that when we are ready we will go there and take a look and bring Harley with us.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

dohertyswissy

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 04:18:21 pm »
Nina,

I am so sorry to hear this.  My thought and prayers are with you. 

Godspeed Dilbert.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 04:40:53 pm »
OMG, how horrible for you, I could feel myself getting goose bumps reading your post. It is soooo bad, you think you can trust your vets decisions, and what else do you have, when you are in an emergency situation.

I hope you find a really good vet. it sounds like you have already tough. Good Luck and I am thinking of you and your family.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 06:17:27 pm »
Nina, I am so very sorry for what Dilbert had to endure & I am so very sorry that you lost him...He was always one of my BPO favorites...Wh at a sad day...Please know that my thoughts & prayers are with you.

SA_horses

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 06:31:59 pm »
I am very sorry that this happened.  :(  That makes it much worse for you, thinking that he might have recovered if only the vet had done her job... 

You might want to get the Merck Manual (9th ed. is the most current, from 2005) and look things up so that you have an idea of what is supposed to be done.  Then, you can question them if they are not doing what the Merck Manual recommends.  I hope your new vet is much better, however.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 07:11:32 pm »
Nina, I am very sad to hear this news. It was heartbreaking to hear that Dilbert passed, but it makes me sad and angry to hear that it could have been prevented or at least have had his suffering eased. I am so so sorry for what you have been through and I hope that you find a smart, caring, and trustworthy vet who treats Harley wonderfully.
RIP former BPO

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 08:31:31 pm »
Nina,

I am so sorry to hear your story, This is such a sad thing to happen, you did everything you could for Dilbert and it leaves you with such a feeling of anger and frustration that someone in a caring role could make such mistakes or if unsure ask for help. Rest assured if they have any concience they will be upset and sorry.

At least you know Dilbert will be waiting for you, ears up and tail wagging to thank you for all the love and care you gave him.

LOL Andy, Bell and Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 09:16:13 pm »
OMG Nina, I am so very sorry that they did not do what would have been best for Dilbert. I just wish there was something I could say or do to help your pain.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)