Author Topic: Hiccups  (Read 4642 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Hiccups
« on: January 02, 2006, 02:52:32 pm »
I am not sure why hiccups come about or what causes them but occasionally Bear has hiccup sessions. They don't last too long- a minute or so- but will happen like 2 or 3 days in a row. Someone once told me, and I believe it to be true, that when your dog hiccups it means they are growing. Is there any truth to this or am I just wierd?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Hiccups
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 03:04:03 pm »
Well I don't know about hicups, I would think they hicup for the same reason a person would. Kiya burps, loud too. I keep telling her its not very lady like.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 03:10:05 pm »
Well I don't know about hicups, I would think they hicup for the same reason a person would. Kiya burps, loud too. I keep telling her its not very lady like.
Carolyn

My Kiah does the same thing. I tell her that too, but she just looks at me with those big brown eyes and I laugh at her. I'm trying to get her to say excuse me.  ;)

I don't know anything about hiccups either. That's interesting though. I've never heard of that before. I also thought it was for the same reason people do it.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 03:12:43 pm »
Dilbert had the hiccups a lot when he was growing but then it was like he outgrew them. I thought it was because he ate to fast. But I'm not sure? Would be interesting to find out though.  :)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 03:41:11 pm »
Can Bear grow any more?  :)
I'm not sure if that's what hicups mean or not.  my girls grew out of them...but Grace gets them still since she barely swallows and does everything so fast.  :) 

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 06:27:24 pm »
My pups still hiccup on occasion, but not as much as they're first few months. They even do it in their sleep!
It makes sense that it occurs more when puppies are growing.....th eir poor bodies are constantly having to adjust at rapid speeds! Not to mention they inhale their food(mine did). I can see why their diaphram gets out of whack.

Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 08:21:31 pm »
Ive always said that about my kids when they hiccup. I think its an old wives tale.  We say it every time Kayzer hiccups too and when Judge was a baby and hiccuped that was always what someone said. I dont think there is any truth to it but who knows. For your sake I sure hope its not true Jamie.  :o
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 09:13:11 pm »
It is rare now when Bear does it and actually hasn't occured at all until this winter (when he gained his winter weight  ;) for us) but as a pup he did it all the time. It makes me giggle and every time he does I say "uh-oh! somebody is getting bigger". You are right Coonie, I sure hope he isn't really growing much more than gaining a few pounds here and there.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 09:20:35 pm »
Sugar Bear and Dixie had hiccups everday from about 3 month to 6 months.  They will still have them now from time to time.  I have heard that hiccups mean they are growing. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

k2campbell

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 10:01:51 pm »
Kate had the hiccups a lot when we first got her, still does now (but) not as much.  I can't remember who told me, but someone said that when babies/dogs/anyone gets hiccups - it means they're hungry???  I don't know if I believe it or not...

If Bear is growing (oh boy) better watch out!  You'll need a crane to lift him around the house!!! Hee hee...  ;)

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 10:59:20 pm »
I'd never heard that before but this evening when Daisy started to hiccup I remembered this post and thought...."Ut Oh!"   ;)

I googled it and basically came up with......Pupp ies hiccup.   
Yea...thanks for that.  ::)

Here are a couple links.....

http://www.americananimalhospital.com/showpracfaq.cfm?FAQID=35&Private=0

http://www.yaletownview.ca/index.php?id=36,116,0,0,1,0
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179