Author Topic: Left pupil almost non-existant. Any ideas????  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
Left pupil almost non-existant. Any ideas????
« on: January 02, 2006, 03:49:33 pm »
Last night, things seemed to be normal, until all of the sudden, one of Maggie's eyes went nutso.  In her left eye, the pupil was almost hardly visible.  It looked like those contacts that some people wear at Halloween, that look really creepy.  The colored part of her eye was normal size to the other eye, but the pupil was really small, making her look really creepy and it freaked us out.  I called my vet, and he had me test her eyes here at home.  I took her in a dark room for 5 minutes and let her eyes adjust.  Then I shined a flashlight in one and checked for movement, then 5 minutes later I did the same with the other.  Both reacted normally, they were both larger and then shrunk down with the bright light, even the weird eye, so he said not to worry.  He told me to watch her the next few days and see if it happens again.  Then, after about an hour of scaring us, her eye slowly went back to normal.  It hasn't done anything yet today either.  Also, my sister said she noticed something with the same eye the other day(but not this weirdness), but I didn't notice anything at that time.  I'm just nervous b/c I've never seen anything like that in my life, and I don't want her to have nerve damage or something and go blind.  Has anyone heard of this before or know what this is?   ??? ??? ???
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Left pupil almost non-existant. Any ideas????
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 04:22:27 pm »
Hmm I've never heard of this, but keep a close eye on her. Has she hit her head on anything? notice any bumps on her head? I would do an internet search and see if anything comes up. I did a quick seach and a condition called anisocria came up.  Hope that helps

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 04:59:04 pm »
I have heard of a dog, I believe it was a mal. who had one pupil dilated while the other was constricted. What that dog had is called anisocoria. It can be cause by some disorder to the nervous system or ocular issues can cause it.

I am sure there are other reasons one pupil is constricted while the other is dilated too.

Keep a close eye on her, and please let us know how Maggie is doing  :D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 06:02:31 pm »
This likely wont help BUT.. when my sister has a really bad migrane comming her eyes get really wierd looking. Her pupils are so small you can hardly see them. Id watch for any other weird behavours . You never know what could be going on.
Keep us updated.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 08:24:07 pm »
I've checked her head, and there's nothing visibly wrong with her.  I don't know when she could've banged her head, she's always in our sights (still working on pottytraining ;)).  I did a quick search too, and found the same condition that you mentioned.  I emailed my breeder too, to see what she says.  Things are still normal with her eyes so far, so I'm just going to wait and see what happens.  You can bet though, that if it happens again, we will be at the vet ASAP!  Thanks for your help guys.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 09:17:55 pm »
Poor little Maggie. I hope that nothing major is wrong with her eyes and that it was a wierd accidentental thing.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 12:40:18 pm »
Well, so far there has been no re-occurance of the weird eye thing :) :) :)  I hope it stays that way, that was not a fun night! 

Yes, she's getting really big now.  When we got her she was only 11 lbs, and as of a week ago she's now at 30 lbs.  I still think she's small for her age- I think she's a runt.  But that's ok, b/c even if she's a little smaller of a dog, she'll still be well over 100 lbs, so I don't  think we'll mind that much ;).  Thanks for all the help and for the happy thoughts.  As soon as my stupid computer gets fixed (we've taken it to two repair men and neither can fix it), I'll get pics up of Maggie.  Promise.