Author Topic: Hey Pyr and Kuv People!!!  (Read 16789 times)

SA_horses

Hey Pyr and Kuv People!!!
« on: January 02, 2006, 09:39:40 pm »
This puppy is in a shelter in Arlington, TX.  (Don't worry; he should be pulled tomorrow and is already marked as "not for euthanization.")

Apparently, the owner turned him in with a bunch of purebred Golden pups, and they say this one is also a Golden.  hahahaha  :D

So, what do you think he is?  He looks like a Kuv or Kuv/Pyr mix to me, and I lean strongly toward Kuv.  No rear dewclaws, and all black skin on his belly.

I'll post the second pic next.

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Pyr and Kuv People!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 10:51:04 pm »
Doing this from the other computer where we have photoshop, since it needed resizing.

Sofia

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 10:54:49 pm »
He's so cute!!! I bet Kuv too!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 10:58:27 pm »
Looks very Kuv to me.  He's a cute boy!
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 12:15:03 am »
Face sure looks like my Mike!  So which of you guys is going to get this one.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 12:16:08 am »
I would love to have him! Does he have a home yet?

SA_horses

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 12:18:31 am »
Helen, who is a member of this board but doesn't post much, will pull him.  However, we may be fostering for a few weeks.  It is a possiblity for the next three weeks or so, until we move.

April, he doesn't have a home yet.  Are you interested?

Kiahpyr

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 12:22:16 am »
Kiah so needs a playmate! ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 12:23:07 am by Tajsa »

Offline hmm_gfx

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 01:45:13 am »
Boy I hope I'm doing this right as I've never posted to this board before and I'm still trying to figure out the site!

I'm Helen, the one who discovered the pup at the shelter.  I'm pulling him for rescue tomorrow.  He'll get his first set of shots and a microchip at the shelter.  Then he'll need to be neutered. 

From what I could tell in the all of 5 minutes I was able to spend with him is that he's somewhat shy - a little hesitant to come to you.  But I think he'll warm up quickly given some TLC.  He didn't seem fearful, just hesistant, as if he didn't quite know what was expected of him.  He doesn't have a clue what a leash is.  The shelter wrote on his card that he is very calm and quiet for his age.  He still has puppy teeth.  Don't know if he has any adult teeth coming in or not.  (Sorry, I missed the "How to Read Dog Teeth" class  ;D)  He may be about 4 months and about 20 lbs or so.  He does have big feet.  The shelter named him Fuzzy which I think can be improved upon.  I seriously doubt he's a purebred Kuvasz.  He may not have any Kuvasz in him at all, but he does have that Kuvasz look, so who knows?  If anyone is interested in him, please contact me.  helenmmiller@aol.com   

Now I just have to figure out how to post pictures on here as I have a couple of other BWDs that need good homes!  One is a really long legged male Pyr/Malamute/Anatolian?? mix about 85lbs and 2 years old, named Ranger.  Another is a Pyr mix about 60 lbs named Willow also about 2 years old.  Both are cat friendly, but neither one likes little dogs that get in their face.  If the little ones just want to play, they're fine.

I'll let everyone know more tomorrow after I get this little tyke.  Think up some names for him!

Helen
Helen and Cayman forever in my heart

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 01:52:59 am »
He looks so much like Aidan.  We are working on preparing our place for fosters, but it is a process...Stev e is building dog houses and I want seperate kennels but the ground is frozen now...I have to keep in mind the kids and the family protectors as well.  Fostering is a big responsibility and I want to do it, but I have to be 100% sure I am ready and we are ready with the facility to so this.   How old is this boy??????
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline hmm_gfx

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 03:18:16 am »
We are working on preparing our place for fosters, but it is a process...Stev e is building dog houses and I want seperate kennels but the ground is frozen now...  Fostering is a big responsibility and I want to do it, but I have to be 100% sure I am ready and we are ready with the facility to so this.   How old is this boy??????

You are way too organized! ;)  I'm not!  I've had dogs in the utility room, hall bath and master bath as well as foster cats and kittens in the spare bedroom.  I had to get off the local rescue list before I had to start banging nails into the wall to hang dogs from!  Just kidding. 

Seriously though, you're absolutely right.  Fostering is a huge responsibility .  You also have to have a quarantine area to be sure no one else is exposed to anything a new foster might bring in such as Kennel cough, distemper, parvo, whatever.  I keep mine separate for about 10 days, just to be on the safe side. 

I think this guy is about 4 months, but that's just a guess.  I could be way off base.  I'll know more tomorrow.  I'm glad to know he looks a lot like your Aiden.  I was a bit hesitant at first about pulling him from the shelter since I was unsure if he was even Kuvasz or not after seeing what were described as his siblings.  I finally decided to heck with it, so he's coming home with me tomorrow!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 04:32:25 am »
That's a Pyr puppy 4-5 months old for sure!!!!!!!!!!!...If I can find Pippin's pic at that age I will post it ASAP!!!!!!!!...Thery could be twins!!!!...As for now I have a pic fo my boys at 10 & 17 months old & our Kuv/Kuv mix Rosie at approx. 2 to 3 yrs. old....

SA_horses

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 05:44:30 am »
That's a Pyr puppy 4-5 months old for sure!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought that too when I saw the picture of his head, until I learned that he doesn't have any rear dewclaws and saw the other picture (the first one I posted), showing more of his coat.  That fur looks pretty Kuvasz-y there, but the ears don't really look right in the first picture.  Maybe it is a bad picture, or maybe he does have some Pyr, but he definitely isn't a purebred Pyr.

Also, I really do not think that he is 4-5 months old.  He is a bit younger.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 11:14:05 am »
I'm not a LGD expert by ANY means, but just because they don't have the dewclaws in the back and they have a solid belly does NOT mean that they're not a Pyr.  The lack of dewclaws is a disqualifying fault in the show ring, but especially when you're dealing with a puppy from unknown origins, it is totally possible to have a purebred without them.  And not to be a Snot Sofia, how can you know how old the puppy is if you haven't seen him in person?  I ONLY say that because pictures can be very deceiving, and I wouldn't ever be sure of a dog's age till I saw it in person and even then, I wouldn't be positive.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 12:02:16 pm »
From the second pic I thought he looked pyr as well. Dilbert went through that "cute ugly" stage as well. When they start losing the puppy fur in the face. I don't know much about Kuv's so I don't know if they go through that stage as well/ So this pup could have pyr in it as well. My Dibby was a pyr mix and he also didn't have the double back dew claws. But he did have that cute pink spotted belly  :)
Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)