Author Topic: need help now  (Read 7164 times)

Offline islander

• Gnawer
  • New Here, have 1 Great Dane male named Thunder
    • View Profile
need help now
« on: January 02, 2006, 10:50:08 pm »
My parents dog (7 yr old yellow lab) has been throwing up a blueish green bile like fluid for 3 days, off her food and not drinking either (even refuses raw bacon which she loves), can't tell if she is pooping or not since they have acerage. She is at the vets now on IV but he cant find anything wrong, full blood panel showed nothing, as did an xray, scheduled for barium swallow tomorrow but like i said, the vet cant figure this out?? Any ideas?? Dont think it is possible for her to have gotten into poison either as she never leaves the yard and they dont have anything around for her to get in to. This is also a good vet and the only one around for several hrs..... can anyone help?

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: need help now
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 11:05:36 pm »
Well i googles 'dog green bile' and the only thing that came up was a story about a dog that was poisoned from a snake bite. Do they have snakes on the property?
RIP former BPO

Offline islander

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 11:10:03 pm »
nope no snakes, in Canada, where they dont have poisonous ones anyway, plus it is well below snake temp there :)!!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 11:12:40 pm by islander »

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 11:15:30 pm »
Was she taking any medication before this happened?
Anything to treat arthritis?

"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline islander

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 11:18:58 pm »
no meds, no recent shots, no new food

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 11:20:28 pm »
well the only other thing I came up with was this: I read about different types of bile in the merck medical dictionary online.  It basically says that bile starts green, then turns yellow (normal) by 'reduction of methene bridge'. But it can turn blue by oxidization... But what would be causing oxygen to get to into the bile is something I just wouldn't know  ??? I would suggest asking the vet to consut with colleagues / vetrinary schools / etc if they can't figure it out

Got the link to work: this is the page that has all the bile-related terms (just do an alt+f for bile to find the terms).
click here
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 11:55:52 pm by shangrila »
RIP former BPO

Offline jupiterjenny

• Ankle Biter
  • Daisy Mae
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 11:27:18 pm »
while reading this my first gut reaction was rat poison, which is green. are you TOTALLY sure no rat poison pellets are around. ask your neighbors to- maybe he ate a dead/dieing mouse?! He's at the vet- they'll know what to do- my heart goes out to you and that poor doogie!
Check out my art work!
www.jupiterjen ny.deviantart. com

Offline islander

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 11:29:49 pm »
guess i shoulda mentioned it's been 3 days too, nope dont have rats here either .... which is why i came here--the usual stuff i have already though of but cant figure this one out

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 11:31:10 pm »
I'm grasping but maybe IBD?

Vomiting is common if the stomach and small intestine are involved.
Blood panels often come back normal.

http://www.geocities.com/ibdogsintl/whatis.html

Like I said...I'm grasping.

I hope they figure it out soon and the pupper is on the mend quickly.

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline islander

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 11:32:53 pm »
ok what is IPD?

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 11:41:41 pm »
IBD stands for Irritable Bowel Disease
RIP former BPO

Offline jupiterjenny

• Ankle Biter
  • Daisy Mae
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 11:42:31 pm »
Have they ran a fecal test?- could be Giardia. i know that previlant in the rocky mountains down here.
also rat posion is sometimes used by people to get rid of birds and other pest- i wouldn't totally rule it out- with dogs anythings possable!
good luck!
Check out my art work!
www.jupiterjen ny.deviantart. com

SA_horses

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 11:48:40 pm »
My parents dog (7 yr old yellow lab) has been throwing up a blueish green bile like fluid for 3 days, off her food and not drinking either (even refuses raw bacon which she loves), can't tell if she is pooping or not since they have acerage. She is at the vets now on IV but he cant find anything wrong, full blood panel showed nothing, as did an xray, scheduled for barium swallow tomorrow but like i said, the vet cant figure this out?? Any ideas?? Dont think it is possible for her to have gotten into poison either as she never leaves the yard and they dont have anything around for her to get in to. This is also a good vet and the only one around for several hrs..... can anyone help?

Wouldn't toxins (such as poison of one sort or another) show up in the blood panel?  I don't know, but I was just wondering.

Okay, I may be wrong, but I am not assuming that your vet did things right and am going to tell you everything I find.  I hope that doesn't bother you.  (BTW, my source is The Merck Veterinary Manual, 9th edition; I'm not an expert; it was a Christmas gift and I want to put it to good use.)

A detailed history should have been taken, to rule out the possiblity of garbage or poisons being responsible for the vomiting (sounds like that's not an issue here), and the dog should have recieved: a thorough physical examination, especially including abdominal palpation; examination of the throat (oropharynx); and a rectal examination (for "dietary indesrection" ???).  Since this is on-going, in addition to those things, the following should be done: complete blood count (I'm guessing that's already been done); bio-chemical profile, including serum electrolytes; urinalysis; abdominal x-rays; and and abdominal ultrasound if possible.  Also, it adds that, often, "endoscopic evaluation and biopsy of the stomach and small intestine is the only test that can determine the nature of the disease."  You might want to look into those things.

I hope your parents' dog gets over this quickly.

Shangrila, I just noticed your post.  You have to disable smilies under "additional options" to get some links to work.  I didn't know that there was an online edition of the Merck Manual.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 12:54:44 am »
and I just remembered a story my vet told me...he had a friend who's lab went to the emergency clinic ...it was throwing up repeatedly and the color was very bright red. They suspected internal bleeding...and after a hefty vet bill discovered a big "empty" bag of smarties that the dog had eaten. The color was from the food coloring in the smarties...the severe stomach ache...from the chocolate? Tis the season to overindulge... could it be candies, candycanes etc....

Funny you should mention this.......... ....candy was the first thing I thought of when she mentioned a blue/green bile.   :-\

I hope they can figure out what is going on soon.

Offline islander

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 11:27:19 am »
ok she's back from the vet--for now. Did the barium test and looks like she has a 2-3 ft long beef tapeworm from eating raw beef. Vet has never seen one before so is keeping an eye pn her and has given them some strong wormer for her. Makes me kinda wonder now since i feed my dog raw, as many of you do too!