Author Topic: Do dogs get warts?  (Read 4221 times)

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
Do dogs get warts?
« on: January 02, 2006, 11:09:38 pm »
Daisy has this....this.. ..lumpy thing on the inside of her front leg.
I almost took a picture but thought that might be too gross.
It looks too big to be a pimple.
It does have a tiny spec of blood on it but basically it looks like a wart.

Any ideas?

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Do dogs get warts?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 11:25:09 pm »
Take the picture. We can handle grossness, and it's hard to visualize without a pic
RIP former BPO

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 11:40:13 pm »
Take the picture. We can handle grossness, and it's hard to visualize without a pic

That's why I love you guys......you can handle grossness.    :)

"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 11:45:39 pm »
Dogs can get warts.  Although what is on Daisy doesn't seem as raised off the skin as much as a wart would be.  How long has it been there?  Could it be from a bug bite?

Offline jupiterjenny

• Ankle Biter
  • Daisy Mae
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 11:47:51 pm »
ewww is right! it kinda loks like the start of a callus- but what a weird place to be! can you move it- is it attach to bone? Has it grown in size?
my daisy has something like it on her foot- i'm can move it around - its just part of the skin- buts its located on the part of her foot she lays on- so i'm hoping its just a callus. 
i don't like the blood on that- might be worth taking to the vet and having it looked at.
Check out my art work!
www.jupiterjen ny.deviantart. com

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 11:48:35 pm »
That looks like a tick-hole to me (not a techincal term). Zoey takes frontline, but at the end of the month during a particularly bad tick season last fall, she was bitten by a tick. We removed the tick, and for a long time after (I'm talking weeks) there was a mark that looked like that one. Zoey's 'cousin' BooBoo was also bitten by  tick and he also had a similar mark. I know that ticks normally bite the head not the leg, but that definately looks like an insect bite of some sort to me (hence the blood spot in the middle from the bite and it's probably raised from swelling).
RIP former BPO

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 12:10:46 am »
Tick season is over here.  We also use frontline but not year round due to Maine's harsh winters.   But something else may have bitten her.   Maybe a spider?
My son found it this evening.  Could have been there a bit longer but not more than a week.   
It is on the inside of her leg at the top.  It is raised up. Kinda hard to tell in the pic...sorry.   I caught her while she was sleeping and she wasn't too thrilled.   
It isn't attached to the bone.  It's free moving and just part of the skin.
She isn't bothered by it.  I can touch it, move it around, push on it.....she just doesn't care. 
My son did mention that it sort of looks like Jack's cyst did when it first appeared.  It also had a small blood spot due to a hair follicle that was irritated.   Too be honest....I don't remember what Jack's cyst looked like when it appeared.  I'm lucky if I can remember what I had for breakfast.

Good news is that she has an appt on Friday for her ear.   I'll have vet look at it then.
I'll let you know what I find out.

-Wendy

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 02:51:06 pm »
I had a dog that got those all the time.  Some were "warts" others were pimples...that would get so big that I had to squeeze them out.  She was a breed that was prone to "acne".

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 08:47:36 pm »
Dogs do get warts.  my oldest poodles is getting them really badly.  I have seen some "warts" on dogs (at the grooming shop) that were not really warts, but instead turned out to be cancer.  If you are unsure of the spot it might pay you to get it confirmed by your vet, just to ease your mind.  Sometimes, getting them removed might prevent it from turning into something more serious. 
Shellie~
~SHELLIE & HUGO~