Author Topic: What do you do for a cold  (Read 5741 times)

Offline dblsr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
What do you do for a cold
« on: January 03, 2006, 06:45:16 pm »
Yogi is 3 months old and has a cold  (runny nose).  I called the vet and he said to put 2 drops of Visine up his nose once a day and if he's not any better by Monday to bring him in.   Today is Wednesday.   Has anyone else used this for a runny nose.  I would hate for it to turn into something more serious ???
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 06:46:09 pm by dblsr »
Yogi's Mom

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do for a cold
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 06:54:48 pm »
I've never heard of  1) a dog getting a cold or 2) putting Visine up his nose!!! ;D

That just begs to have someone make fun (ie, Is that for the eyes in the back of his head??)

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 06:59:20 pm »
VISINE!!!!! :o :o

There's a note on the box that says don't swallow it, it's toxic if swallowed!

DON'T USE VISINE.  I'm telling you.  Don't. 

What my doc recommends for people is the same thing that Max's vet has Mom give him--plain saline solution in an atomizer bottle--it costs about $3 at the pharmacy.  It keeps the irritated nasal tissues irrigated, but can be used as often as needed for soothing effect. 

BACK AWAY FROM THE VISINE. 

« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 07:00:32 pm by NoDogNow »
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline dblsr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 07:23:25 pm »
Oh!!! Now I'm panicking.  I did it right before I posted this.  I though I could trust the vet.
I just put a call in to the vet... waiting for him to get out of surgery to call back.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 07:31:19 pm by dblsr »
Yogi's Mom

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 07:30:26 pm »
Just keep an eye on him.  Also, if there is a second vet in your area, maybe give them a call and ask about the Visine thing.  A "second opinion" never hurts, and if they say to never do that again, then you will know it is maybe time to switch vets...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline dblsr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 07:43:33 pm »
I called another vet and he said he wouldn't recommend using Visine.  He said he uses nose drops, but only one drop in one nostril each day, using the same nostril for a few days then switch to the other nostril.  Guess it's time to switch vets.  I am soooo mad. >:(
Yogi's Mom

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 08:00:39 pm »
EGAD.  Well, 2 drops might be OK, but REALLY keep an eye on him since he's still little.   

I have heard some very scary stories about small children who ingested Visine--apparently part of the issue is body weight.  If Yogi were bigger, it would be a little less of a concern. 

As a serious hay fever sufferer, I would just emphasize that most OTC nose drops are to be used for NOT MORE THAN 3 DAYS. 

I have violated this rule, and paid dearly in bounceback congestion.  It's a bad, bad thing when the nose drops turn on you!

Also get the saline solution stuff; you can use it ALONG WITH the nose drops, and it helps alot to keep the mucus membrane from become over sore. 

« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 08:02:52 pm by NoDogNow »
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline dblsr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 08:02:54 pm »
My vet just called.  He said that amount of Visine will not hurt him.  He said he would have to just about drink the whole bottle to cause him harm.  I also called the pet poison hot line.  She said it could possibly hurt him and if I wanted to pay $55 she could tell me for sure :o I guess I will watch him and hope for the best.  I'm not going to use it again no matter what.  Thanks for all of your help everyone.  It sure is good to have a place like this to find these things out, Phew!
Yogi's Mom

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 08:51:36 pm »
OK, I'm paranoid.  I admit it.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/visine.asp

The reference debunks the "Visine causes diarrhea" myth, and gives you a rundown on the actual problem, with additional links to reference sources.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline mrpuppy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 10:27:03 pm »
powdered  vitamin c,they'll eat it wrapped up beteen cheese and raw meat,also ENTERIC COATEDgarlic,at least 2 per day,I guarentee,it will vasish QUICKLY!!! BUT YOU YOU NEED TO DO IT AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE!!!,THEY'LL NEVER AIL A THING AGAIN,VITAMINS WHEN GIVEN IN LARGE!!! DOSE'S,WORK WONDERS, 8)
bear,14 month old newfie,140 pounds (estimated)

Offline mrpuppy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 01:13:27 am »
linus pauling proovved!!! that vitamins  taken in large amounts!!! would cure terminal pneamonia,thats why he was they exiled him from this countrey!!!take it as a given!!!!!!they will work!!!! !
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 12:00:57 pm by jabear »
bear,14 month old newfie,140 pounds (estimated)

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 08:22:42 pm »
To get totally off topic as per some of the other posts, may I just say that everybody has opinions, I respect those opinions. I do however pay my vet for his advice and knowledge. Knowledge that in the U.K. and I expect the U.S. has been gained only through years of hard work and study. I do not always accept my vets advice, on those occasions I ring another vet for a second opinion and will if necessary get a third opinion if that is necessary to settle the matter. I am wary though that there is only a finite number of vets in an area and I would listen and never dream of saying well vet so and so says although I might say what do you think of?

I honestly feel that a Forum should deliver reassurance, or in the case of a minor ailment that is known to the dog owner, opinion on methods they have tried to sort the matter out and the effectiveness of those methods.

These are my opinions. Please do not get on horses however high, or get upset by other posts, it does not help the forum or the person asking the question.

LOL Andy Bell and Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 09:23:41 am »
about the runny nose thing... when fumble was like 9 weeks old he got an upper respiratory infection or a "cold".. runny nose, difficult time breathing.. the doctor put him on an antibiotic and he was better within 24 hours.. i've never heard about putting anything "up the nose" before..
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!