Author Topic: Oasis is not coming home  (Read 12758 times)

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Oasis is not coming home
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2006, 08:18:40 am »
Jeanne
You are in our thoughts. . I came on this morning with my hopes up. I was sure you must have found poor Oasis. Im so very sorry that this has happened.
HUGGS
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2006, 11:12:03 am »
I am so sorry for the loss of your darling Oasis - this was a post I so didn't want to see.  Your tribute was beautiful and I will read it again when I get home as I am now crying at my desk.

Again, so sorry.

Randy

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2006, 11:29:55 am »
Your comfort and support has been overwhelming and for that I will be eternally greatful. I want to tell you all about an amazing act of kindness I experienced last night.

About 10 p.m., just after I signed off chat, the gentleman who removed Oasis' body from the driveway where he ended up called us. He invited us to come over and identify the body, but warned us there wasn't much left as the buzzards had gotten to him before we did. Johann asked me if I wanted to do that and I said yes, but he would have to look at it. The man offered to bury him there for us or we could take him home. I insisted he needed to come home with us if it was Oasis and I needed his collar if he still had it on.

When we got there, Johann said he could only really tell it was him because of the collar. He wrapped him in a tarp and the man carried him to the truck. The whole way home I was trying to figure out how we were going to get him buried in the backyard since Johann is still on crutches. Johann said he'd just have to dig the hole with his hands, but he'd get it done.

As I was carrying Oasis to the back gate and putting him in the wheelbarrow to make it easier for Johann to get him int he backyard the next day, my neighbor and her 2 kids walked by. Her son often comes over to play with the dogs. She asked if we had found Oasis and I tearfully told her the news. She asked if we were going to bury him, and I told her yes, but I'm not sure how since Johann can't dig with a shovel. She then said, "I'll do it right now. Just give me a shovel and a flashlight. You go inside and don't worry about it. We'll get it done tonight. Me and the kids."

Oasis was buried in our backyard (with Johann on his knees using a pick axe to break up the ground and my neighbor Casey digging the hole while the kids kept me company inside) with two of his toys and a couple of pine cones which were always some of his favorite things to play with. I woke up this morning after dreams of Oasis running in a big hilly field with about 100 other dogs, all happy and romping and rolling around together. I know that's where he is and he is at peace.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2006, 11:31:10 am »
Jeanne, I am so sorry.  I am just heartbroken for you right now.  He was a special and beautiful boy, and I am glad that you guys had as many years together as you did.  You are in my thoughts today...

Marsi
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2006, 11:41:30 am »
Wow. That story of his burial is so touching.  :'(
May he rest in peace.

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2006, 11:47:35 am »
I'm so sorry.
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2006, 11:49:26 am »
Oh, Jeanne, I'm so teary right now reading about your wonderful neighbor!   :'(  Just when you can lose faith about the human condition, you find sources of hope.  I'm so glad that Oasis sent you good dreams to let you know he's well and happy and still watching out for you!

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2006, 11:57:03 am »
Hi Jeanne,

I am sorry for your loss.  :'(  The tribute was beautiful and the joy he put in your life and your neighbors speaks volume to the Love Oasis had for his skin family.

He will be remembered for ever by many.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2006, 12:36:54 pm »
I am so sorry!   It's tradgic! 

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2006, 03:38:17 pm »
That's so sad, but at least you have closure knowing 100% it was him and that he is home where he belongs. How kind of your wonderful neighbour - we don't know who are true friends are till we really need them.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2006, 04:18:53 pm »
Ohhh I am so so sorry to hear about Oasis  :'( I was hoping he would be home safe and sound. It was a wonderful letter you wrote to him and he sure know he was loved. He will have a lot of big pawed friends at the rainbow bridge to play with.

He will be very much missed by all his aunties and uncles on here. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2006, 01:04:04 am »
I'm so sorry to hear about Oasis.  I had high hopes of him returning home safely.  But at least you have some closure as to what happened and won't have to sit up nights wondering where his is.

I'm glad he was able to come home at last.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.