Author Topic: Pyr people I'd like your opinion  (Read 6073 times)

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
Pyr people I'd like your opinion
« on: January 03, 2006, 08:50:23 pm »
My other half and I have been going back and forth since we got Lucas as to what mix he is. His mama is a 57lb pit/german shepherd and Daisy, Luke's sister, is the spitting image of her.
The woman I got them from told me the father is a samoyed. Well I saw the father, and while I agree Luke has all the characteristic s, he and the dad were the same size 2 months ago. So now, a week shy of 8 months, he is over 70 lbs and still growing.

We think he could be part Pyr, and since you all hang out with Pyrs everyday I wanted your opinion.

Also, what are common traits; physical, behavioral. He doesn't have double dew claws. It's not life threatening that I know, but I love my big guy and want to find out as much as I can.  :)

Here are some pics...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 09:06:33 pm by teamshredit »
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Re: Pyr people I'd like your opinion
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 08:54:59 pm »
I've been raising them 20 years now.  Id say yes he is a Pyr mix.  The photo of him (this photo * 73584274_24715 1409_0[1].jpg) was taken at 4 mo am I right?  Pyrs do the same thing with that heart shaped halo they get at that age.

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 09:30:10 pm »
Yes, it was in between 4-5 months. He was often mistaken for a golden retriever.
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 10:47:44 pm »
Heart shaped halo look?  Never thought of it that way - we called it the 'Moe' look like in the 3 stooges or the 'big bird' look.

Not convinced he has Pyr - the ears are way off

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 10:49:25 pm »
He looks like a pyr mix to me.
 :)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 02:36:59 am »
I'd say that he is almost certainly a Pyr mix...That snout is hard to mistake! ;D

Offline Mark Dozier

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 06:37:49 pm »
Definitly a mix. The back end is too round for a Pyr. It looks very close to a lab butt. The hair is to short and smooth for a pure pyr. I personally doubt he father was a somoyed he is getting to big for that.
If he was a purebreed his tempermant should be loving, courious, slightly aloof and very loving. He would also be hardheaded, love to be alone impervious to most weathe and about the best dog you ever could have.
This mix you hve should be a lot of fun and with the lab lines in him should be a bit easier to train then a Pyr. Not that they are hard but they are independent thinker.
Enjoy you new youngin
Mark Dozier
servant of
Rolly - Walker Coon Hound
Ozzie - Maremma
Siearra - Great Pryenesse

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 07:17:06 pm »
I agree about the ears, they look pit bull to me. I did find out there is a male pyrenees in the area(a rural mountain neighborhood). I'm starting to think all the dogs up there are related as most are free to roam about. He'll be 8 months next week...maybe he'll stop growing soon. I just want to know so I can be aware of potential health problems to look out for as he gets older. That's a downside to owning a mutt....you get a mix of bad traits along with the good.
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 07:24:57 pm »
Oooh, what a lovely doggie! I can definitely see the pit in the 'bullet crease' down his forehead and a lot of GSD in him, especially his chest and feet. I'm not sure about his dad being a samoyed, although they too can get that heart shaped fluff around their face. Often crossbreeds can throw up all sorts of 'sports' including oversized examples. I've even seen crossbreeds that would fool a show judge, they take so much after one of their parents. Anything is possible! I wouldn't be surprised if he is part Pyr, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't... helpful aren't I.  ;D

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 09:28:52 pm »
"Bullet crease"...I like that. He has a big pit bull head with a grin to match, that's for sure.
As for his personality, he and Daisy are so different. She is sensitive and aware of what behavior pleases us and listens most of the time. Luke is on his own trip and listens only when food is involved. He's our guard dog and does a "perimeter check" every morning to make sure everything looks and smells in place. He's grumpy old man dog in the morning, everytime the alarm goes off he makes a cranky "grrrmmmph" sound. But when he wakes up he MUST have his morning head rub. He sleeps ALOT. The other day he dozed off with his head out the window going 70 mph....this was very amusing to fellow commuters.
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 01:08:04 am »
"Bullet crease"...I like that. He has a big pit bull head with a grin to match, that's for sure.
As for his personality, he and Daisy are so different. She is sensitive and aware of what behavior pleases us and listens most of the time. Luke is on his own trip and listens only when food is involved. He's our guard dog and does a "perimeter check" every morning to make sure everything looks and smells in place. He's grumpy old man dog in the morning, everytime the alarm goes off he makes a cranky "grrrmmmph" sound. But when he wakes up he MUST have his morning head rub. He sleeps ALOT. The other day he dozed off with his head out the window going 70 mph....this was very amusing to fellow commuters.
You just described the Great Pyr personality to a T!!!...Does he move around alot or is he content to just lie around?...My Pyrs, even as pups, are like big dog rugs to step over...lol!

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 04:54:57 pm »
He's a rug. He likes to sleep against the gate in between the gallery and back room, so of course I wake him up everytime I need to get back there.  Again with the grumpy groaning, "mmmgrmmmmph, how dare you disturb my nap!"

The only time he moves around is when he chases Daisy. But he'll only chase her for a minute b/c stalking her is much easier. Whe she gets close enough he'll challenge her to a match of doggie jiu-jitsu. This basically starts out like wrestling. After a few minutes though, Luke will get frustrated with all her squirming so he'll end it by sitting on her. She's totally helpless. It doesn't take much skill or energy, and this way he's always the winner. Luke WILL retrieve as long as you throw the object no more than ten feet...any further and he'll lose interest and lay down.  At dog parks and dog beach he goes off on his own and investigates everything. He's just not a social guy.
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix

Kiahpyr

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 05:05:38 pm »
Kiah does the samething when she's tired of playing with a dog smaller then her she just sits on them. It's so funny!! She likes playing with danes though and they sit on her. I know how the waking up thing goes. Kiah doesn't talk, but she gives you those eyes that say do you mind I'm trying to sleep here.

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 05:11:40 pm »
"Survival of the sittest!!!"
Hahaha........ sorry, that was really bad.  ;D
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix

Kiahpyr