Author Topic: Eli needs elbow surgery?  (Read 2350 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Eli needs elbow surgery?
« on: January 04, 2006, 11:42:24 am »
Hi everyone - I have posted here before regarding my dog Harley.  however, I got a phone call from my SIL yesterday regarding her 13 month old yellow lab - Eli he is a doll sweet playful and just a joy - but he has been limping took him to the vet who refered her to a orthopedic surgeon they had the appointment yesterday and he needs surgery on his elbow?  the condition is like OFC or something like that according to the vet it is hereditary (the breeder claims because Eli is chunky).   Something about a piece of the bone has broken off and needs to be removed?

Does this sound like anything you have heard of?  The surgeon says surgery will probably work at the cost of approximately $2000.00.  I will try to get more info and check back later but anything you could tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Again, Thanks for any insight

Randy - Harley's mother and Eli's aunt!!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: Eli needs elbow surgery?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 11:56:05 am »
OCD maybe? It's where a section of the joint cartilage will seperate and form a flap.  It's usually injury related, and if surgery is necessary, I think they basically cut off the flap and smooth out the cartilage in the joint.  But, my understanding is that surgery is not always necessary, many times the body will reabsorb the loose cartilage flap.
If this is the diagnosis from the vet and he recommends surgery, I'd maybe get a second opinion since the pup is so young, as another vet may want to wait and see if it will reabsorb and heal itself.

Not a vet, surgeon, etc.. just my 2 cents as a dog geek/computer nerd.
Brandon

Article on OCD:
http://www.thepetcenter.com/xra/ocd.html
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 11:58:12 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline sgiles1953

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 02:16:26 pm »
My two year old german shepherd is going to have surgery for this as well. She was diagnosed with elbow displasia. As elbow displasia consists of three different conditions, your friend's lab may possibly have the same thing. There is OCD, UAP and FCP and usually arthritis is present as well. My dog has a bone chip (FCP) in each elbow which we're going to remove and she may also have OCD which they'll repair while they're in there. We've opted to have anthroscopic surgery at a local veterinary university as I've read that the results are more favourable when done this way and the recovery is much easier on the pupper. Meanwhile we have her on a complex of glucosamine, condroitin & MSM; omega 3 and ester-C. I'll be keeping her on these supplements even after the surgery because surgery doesn't cure the condition, it only cleans up the elbows. The surgery is going to cost us between 2200.00 and 2500.00 (for both elbows), but if it helps her, it'll be money well spent.
Elite Design's Whisper Hill Lexi (Lexi) from Dorchester, Ontario.
Now residing in Cambridge, Ontario with her pack Pam, Steve and Cheryl.
Their pride and joy and the light of their lives.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 03:52:15 pm »
Cowboy has/had the limping due to a chip in his front elbows as well.  His previous owner, apparently had him running and jump WAY too young before his bones hardened and as a result he has mild arthritis in both his elbows  :(.  I've had him on Cosequin since I adopted him and he now very rarely limps.  If he does, his vet said to give him half a Rimadyll and that has always worked.  I don't know if that is what your sil's dog has but maybe she could try that before surgery??

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 11:26:55 am »
Thank you all for your help!!  I passed all the information on to my SIL.  Thankfully they are in the position to pay for the surgery and is going for a second opinion.

right now Eli is on anti-inflamatory meds and seems to be doing OK but they will have the surgery.

My Harley is dying to play with Eli but they play to rough and we have to wait until Eli is healthy!!