Author Topic: Why use a crate?  (Read 6457 times)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Why use a crate?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 04:43:45 pm »
I had never crated a dog until Cinder.  But the crate training came in handy when we had to evacuate for Hurricane Rita.  The dogs had their crates to keep them safe while we waited out the evacuation in a shelter.  But I never crated them at night.  They are only crated while we are gone.

Kat 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 04:51:57 pm »
I crate at night since Maia has been known to have some dominance issues and confidence issues.  But if we stay on routine, stay calm, and she sleeps in her crate, she behaves 100% nicer.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 05:14:30 pm »
Kali was a beaver and chewed all of our woodwork

What's with the wood chewing thing?  Both Cowboy and Chester will chew branches, pine cones, bark.  Maybe Newfs are part termite?  Neither one has ever gotten sick from it but I do see the remaining bits when I clean up after them in the "potty" area.  :P

haha.. i have to agree, fumble LOVES not only the wood furniture, but LOVES to bring sticks in from outdoors to chew on! i don't get it either!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 07:00:02 pm »
We crated Drake when he was a puppy and he hated it.  Once he was potty trained, we let him sleep wherever he wants.  He's not destructive, unless you consider the scratches he puts on the wood floors, and I feel better knowing that he is loose at night so if trouble comes our way, he's not locked up and useless.  I know not all dogs are the same so I understand why some people do it.  I'm glad that our crate sits out in the garage unused, I hate locking Drake up.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 07:38:10 pm »
Hmmm....my boy only chews things when he is really angry at me. (luckily it has been less than a dozen times in his life) In which case I say look out remote control, garage dorr opener and other expensive things. ;D

We've never crated Bear and never will for reasons as said by Newf Lover.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 07:39:18 pm by jabear »
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.