Author Topic: Overexcited about small dogs  (Read 3047 times)

Offline BrutusMummy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Overexcited about small dogs
« on: January 05, 2006, 06:38:59 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I have an issue with my Baby and I hope someone can give me advice.  Maybe I should be posting under training but, I think maybe other Saint parents have had the same issue.  Brutus is ten months today! He is a very happy go lucky dog that loves everything and everyone.  The problem is he has no concept of his size.  Whenever he sees a small dog he wants to play with it.  The problem is he's now 140lbs. with huge paws and a huge jaw.  He's a bit rough and mouths at them.  They get scared and the owners freak out thinking he's going to kill them.  The owners panic and usually pick up there small dog and this gets Brutus even more excited and he bounces at the owner trying to nip the small dogs tail.  He doesn't appear viscious.  Just excited and curious about the small dog.  At the dog park he always perfers to try and get the little dogs to play.  He doesn't really care so much about the middle to large dogs.  If we are out and about on leash and he sees a small dog I need to put him in a sit stay (which he does very well, although he howls and crys about it!)  If I don't put him in a sit stay then he tries to drag me over to see them.  We have a cat at home to and he's the same way with him.  Everytime he sees him he paws at him and mouths him.  He just loves him.  What I am afraid of is that he will accidently kill a small dog (or our cat).  What can we do to teach him that they are off limits or at least to be gentle?  Any advice would be great!

Offline Titansmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Overexcited about small dogs
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 10:17:04 pm »
I have taught my dogs a leave it command and a look at me command both should redirect his attention to you and not the small dogs  or cats

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 11:46:01 pm »
Judge is the same way. He has met a few TOUGH little dogs now that have nipped at him and one that litterally chased him down the street. He isnt quite so sure of little dogs anymore. They scare him. LOL He is quite gentle now with any animal who is smaller than him. I think he just got used to his size. I never really tought him other than telling him to be gentle. I think its best for them to interact with all sorts of other animals. Little dog owners dont get it that thier dog is likely more vicious than yours.
I guess I wasnt really any help. :-\
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 12:40:36 am »
Teaching him leave it or gentle/be nice are great ideas.

Gunther was the same way when he was younger.  At our dog park, I would simply tell people he was still a puppy and loved little dogs, and that usually sufficed for most people.  Most owners should understand puppy play, and unless they have a chihuahua or something similar (where he can stick the whole dog in his mouth......... lol), I think the little dog should be able to hold it's own.

Just to let you know, they usually outgrow this stage.  Gunther now plays with dogs of all sizes, and now prefers medium to medium-large dogs, although his best friend is still a basset hound. 

Offline starla

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 11:55:36 am »
HAHAHA thats great.. Starla is the same.. at the dog park she is kinda timid towards all the big barking dogs but when her little hotdog friend shows up she turns into a little pest and bats her with her big front paws and tries to tip her over with her nose... people get a kick and haven't said anything yet becuase they see her getting bullied around by the bigger dogs... but even when we go on walks... she loves to go see little dogs!!!  no sure what it is!