Author Topic: Mastiff w/ docked Tail?  (Read 22924 times)

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Mastiff w/ docked Tail?
« on: January 06, 2006, 09:47:50 pm »
My sister in law has been talking with a man who has an english mastiff puppy (11 weeks) that is an apricot color with a docked tail. Is this a normal thing? I have never heard of a mastiff w/ a docked tail. She said she read up on it and if you were to show, you could still show with a docked tail. She will not be showing the dog. Just curious. Does anyone have a picture of an apricot mastiff. I have only seen apricot brindle. Thanks!

Offline Sara

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Mastiff w/ docked Tail?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 02:53:00 pm »
I have not heard of a Mastiff with a docked tail.... but if she is not going to show it I am sure he will be a great dog tail or not :)  Here is my pup, he is a 13 week OEM appricot with black mask.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 02:54:16 pm »
I have never heard of docking the tail.  Could it be for medical reasons?
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 05:41:47 pm »
I have seen the ads for one breeder that docks the tails of their mastiffs.  They do it because they don't want the tails to take out stuff in the house.  At least if I remember the ad correctly that's the reason.  They also raise boxers.  But they are raising Nebolish Mastiffs.  I had never heard of them before but apparently they are a neopolitan and english mix.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 05:49:34 pm »
Hmmmm....Haven't heard of OEM's being docked.   Neo's...yep...alth ough my neo is natural from her floppy ears to her table clearing tail.  ;D
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline odie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 10:00:04 am »
Here are a couple pics of my Mastiff, Gunner. I got him when he was nine weeks old from the pound. He had a docked tail at that time. I don't know if it's natual or if someone did it. I had Gunner for 14 years. It's been about three years now since Gunner's been gone. I sure do miss him. I doubt if Gunner was a purebred, but I'm sure he was part Mastiff. He was 190 lbs. of love and the best friend a man could have. I think I'm ready now for another buddy. I'm retired now and on a fixed income so I can't afford much, but I won't have anything else but a Mastiff after all the years with Gunner. Maybe one will come up somewhere.

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 01:23:25 pm »
I am pretty sure it is against the AKC Mastiff standard to dock anything on them.  I have been around a LOT of mastiffs, some show, some just pet, but none have ever been docked.  I have heard of one, in rescue currently who just had his surgically docked due to an infection thaat would not go away.

Weedsport, NY

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 11:46:30 pm »
Are you sure they arent south african boerboels?  They have docked tails

http://www.dopperboerboel.co.za/home1.htm
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 02:14:37 am »
Laika's tail is docked 1/3, thank goodness. I get bruises from it now, I'd hate to see how much it'd hurt if I got wacked with the whole thing!!
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 03:29:15 am »
I think Neos are supposed to have theirs docked by 1/3.  Jesse's isn't, and it curls up over his back like a spring.

Weedsport, NY

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 03:34:50 am »
Yeah, I think in Europe it isn't customary to dock Neos, but here in the States it is. In Harry Potter the Neo isn't docked.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline HEAVY-D

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 05:47:52 pm »
We are currently talking to a breeder about a neo mastiff.  so we have been doing tons for research.  everthing i have read says that their tails are docked one third (at least on the neo)

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 07:51:41 am »
Italian Mastiffs (Cane Corso) are docked at the 4th tail vertabrae. 

Are you allowed to post a link to the Neo breeder discussed above?  I like to look at puppies.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

lorim2

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 08:26:27 am »
I am thinking its a South African Boerbal also...They do have docked tails and they are really massive dogs...Also commenting on Gunners dad...I've had Marley for a year and half so far and I am truly in love with the mastiff breed also...I am sure Gunner was a true love and I can feel your loss :'(  But you are very lucky to have had 14 years of love because alot of people dont know the kind of love they are missing  :-\