Author Topic: Scooter Keeps Vomiting - Advice Please  (Read 3051 times)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Scooter Keeps Vomiting - Advice Please
« on: January 07, 2006, 05:34:27 pm »
Since this morning Scooter has been unable to keep anything down.  He had lunch (rice only) about 12:30 and just barfed that up.  Do you think this is a blockage?  Should I take him to the ER now or should I wait and see how he does the rest of the day.  So far he has had two meals and has barfed four times.

Cindy

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Scooter Keeps Vomiting - Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 05:38:05 pm »
I asked my mom and she said to not feed him for the rest of the day, tomorrow give him a bit of water and if he does good with that, then to feed him rice and chicken broth. As for a blockage she doesn't know about that.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 05:58:07 pm »
Have you tried ice?  Sometimes the will happily chew ice chips and that will stay down.   Does his stomach feel tight or distended?  Is he pacing and seem restless?  Is there any blood in the vomit?  Any bloody diarrhea?  If so, THAT indicates a problem and he should probably be checked.  If his belly is soft and he doesn't seem uncomfortable, it could just be something he ate that disagrees with him.   Try the ice and see if that stays down...then salt free & fat free chicken broth.  If those stay down, then a tiny bit of boiled chicken and plain white rice. 

Let us know what happens!  Fingers crossed!!! :)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 08:17:00 pm »
I'm almost positive he had a BM this AM and other than barfing he has no other issues.  He is a little depressed but that is understandable .  At this point we will wait 12 hours before we try the rice again.

Thanks for being here for us.
Cindy

DakotaMom

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 01:41:37 pm »
I have dealt with two blockages with Dakota. The first time was the worst. He could only hold down food or water for about ten minutes before he would throw it all up. He also did not have any belly sounds going on.

He was a very sick boy! We have since changed vets because they said his pancrease levels were elevated and let him sit for four days before they believed me that he had a blockage.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 04:47:45 pm »
Any news on Scooter today?  Better?  (I hope!!)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 06:56:00 pm »
We didn't give Scooter anything the rest of the day yesterday and still this morning he was vomiting bile.  I scheduled an appointment for the first available (11:30).  I gave him some rice and ice chips at 8:15 and then again at 9:30.  He was able to keep that down so I cancelled his appointment.  He had rice and hamburger for lunch and has also kept that down.  It looks like he is on the mend.  I will continue with the rice and hamburger until tomorrow.  I also saw him have a BM so that is good too. 

Thanks for thinking about us.

Cindy

Melissa - All my guys eat Eagle Pack Holistic

DakotaMom

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 09:47:45 pm »
I am so happy for you!