Author Topic: WAY off topic but I had to share  (Read 3766 times)

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
WAY off topic but I had to share
« on: January 07, 2006, 02:17:31 pm »
My husband and I have started a little competition. There are a couple of things that we would like to get for ourselves but both of what we want cost a LOT of money. So we set up "piggy" banks for ourselves. We each took a baby formula can for now. And covered it in white paper, my husband wants a big screen TV so he put a picture of a big screen on his can, and ever since I lost my male great dane I have wanted another male dane. SO I put a picture of a dane on my can. We have already divided up the change that was in the ash tray of our car, and out of our change jar in the house. Everytime we decide not to eat out we divide the money we would have spent eating out between the two cans. Its been a lot of fun. I don't work so I've been looking for various ways to make money to put in my jar, I've been selling some of my old baby stuff that I'm not using anymore, and i do a LOT of crafts so i've been selling some dog sweaters, and blankets etc. Its turned into a lot of fun trying to think of ways to save money, and we are actually eating healthy because we don't want to spend the money eating out. I'm having so much fun with it that I just had to share it.
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: WAY off topic but I had to share
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 02:46:45 pm »
I think that is a great way to save money! And very responsible :)

Dan and I have a piggy bank where we put all of our spare coins.  It's been going for years and I can't wait to break it and spend it on something fun! I would post a picture but all my photos are on my laptop which is currently broken  :-\
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 02:47:01 pm by shangrila »
RIP former BPO

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 04:58:58 pm »
Great idea and thanks for sharing! I think we are going to follow along and start our own Piggy banks! Especially the part about eating out, we do way to much of that and this is a good heathy way to cut down!
I dont know what Im going to save for but Im sure I can think of something??? LOL
cuttles

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 05:19:16 pm »
I love the competition aspect of it!  When my husband and I want to shed a few pounds... we set a goal of 10lbs and the first one to shed the 10lbs gets to purchase their item.  (I had wanted a season of my favorite tv show... he wanted something similar in price) 

Keep savin' girl!  You'll have your dog in no time!

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 06:16:50 pm »
We are having a lot of fun. We've even gone as far as if we go into a store and buy something on impulse whoever bought that item has to put the amount of what you buy into the other persons jar. Today we went to walmart and he bought a DVD rack that was on clearance for $17 so he had to put $17 in my piggy bank. Its so much fun. I think this was the first trip to walmart that i didn't through anything in the cart. :) I will probably keep saving until he saves up enough for his TV since the TV he wants is like $1800 plus tax...that way by the time he saves up that much I will have WAY more than the amount I need for my male great dane and can spend the extra money on the dogs or the kids  :)
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 07:24:27 pm »
What a great idea!!  And it sounds like you are having alot of fun with it.

I set up a savings account for all of my husband's spare change, which he never spends, it just collects around the house.  I like having a savings account b/c it can collect interest on top of what I'm putting in it.  About once or twice a year I collect all the change and put it in.  It's not as much as what everyone here seems to be making, but it's an extra $20 here and there.

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 09:33:21 pm »
When we were married, my Grandmother was really sick with terminal cancer, and instead of a honeymoon we went to see her, and stayed with her for a week. I never regretted it, because that time was priceless to me, and Dale was sweet enough to understand.
But then the kids came along, and the house  and bills.... Now we have been married 20 years, and still never had a honeymoon.

So last summer we took one of those huge water cooler bottles and put it in the bedroom, and all spare change goes in there. We are saving for a cruise for our 25th. I don't know how much is in there but it is 1/4 full.
If we fill it before the time is up, I'll start a bank account, and start to fill it again...Hopefu lly, it will be Bon Voyage in 5 years!
Stella

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 01:16:05 pm »
So last summer we took one of those huge water cooler bottles and put it in the bedroom, and all spare change goes in there. We are saving for a cruise for our 25th. I don't know how much is in there but it is 1/4 full.
If we fill it before the time is up, I'll start a bank account, and start to fill it again...Hopefu lly, it will be Bon Voyage in 5 years!
Stella

Stella, my grandparent's friends did that and got $700 out of it when it was full!
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 01:20:21 pm »
where you thinking about going on your cruise?   I love cruises! 

GR8DAME

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 03:19:32 pm »
where you thinking about going on your cruise?   I love cruises! 

I am not really sure, but I was thinking about one that left from New Orleans, and went into Mexico rather than the Carribean, or maybe Alaska... It's still too far away to decide :-\
Stella

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 03:54:51 pm »
Wow! you guys make me feel horrible! I've been on a spending spree lately. We have a small water cooler bottle that I started putting change and my tip money in. We had quite a bit in there when the stupid hurricanes hit and I had to use some of it for little things here and there, and I can't remember the last time I threw any change in there unless it came out in the washing machine.

Your dedication and enthusiasm for this has made me want to start saving in my jug again - starting today.

How about this - to add to the competition, we can all post how much we've saved by, say June 1st to see who has saved the most? No prize, just bragging rights...
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 04:00:34 pm »
Wow! you guys make me feel horrible! I've been on a spending spree lately. We have a small water cooler bottle that I started putting change and my tip money in. We had quite a bit in there when the stupid hurricanes hit and I had to use some of it for little things here and there, and I can't remember the last time I threw any change in there unless it came out in the washing machine.

Your dedication and enthusiasm for this has made me want to start saving in my jug again - starting today.

How about this - to add to the competition, we can all post how much we've saved by, say June 1st to see who has saved the most? No prize, just bragging rights...
now there's motivation.  I have a jar...but I raid the bills i stuff in there. I swear...I'll put the $10 back. 
I rolled change once last year and had over $120.

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 04:38:02 pm »
about this - to add to the competition, we can all post how much we've saved by, say June 1st to see who has saved the most? No prize, just bragging rights...
That sounds like a LOT of fun. Lets do it :)

Offline HersheysMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 04:41:46 pm »

I think that would be a blast too!!  Count me in!! :D :D
Tricia, human mother of Hershey, born 7/6/2004