Author Topic: Ranger is looking a little ashy...any ideas?  (Read 5315 times)

dohertyswissy

Ranger is looking a little ashy...any ideas?
« on: January 09, 2006, 11:07:12 am »
For the past month or so, I've noticed that Ranger has had extremely dry skin, to the point where sometimes he looks like a little dandruff monster!  The poor guy was sooo itchy and uncomfortable!  This is a new thing, b/c in the spring and summer, his skin was a-okay.  So as a starting point, I started giving him baths in a soothing oatmeal shampoo that was supposed to help with dry skin, which it has helped a lot, but he is still itchy in spots, primarily at the base of the tail, where it meets his cute little rotti-like bum.  He has been gnawing at it enough that it has gotten scabby under the hair and the hair is a little thinner in that area, but not bald.  I've been putting neosporin on it, to help it heal, when I can monitor him.  I think the poor guy's coat is all confused, b/c it got extremely cold several weeks ago, but now it is in the mid-60s.  Anyway, in addition to the oatmeal baths, I've started giving him vitamin E in his food.  However, I'm looking for some other ideas.  When we were in the PetSmart the other day, a salesperson from Nutro was there and mentioned it might be the food we are feeding him.  Made sense, but I was skeptical, since she was there to sell something.  I do have to make a run for dog food today, so if I was going to switch him over, now would be the time.  I'm still nervous though, after hearing about the Diamond Food scare, but I trust all my BPO pals.  :)

Ooh - and I did cut out all wheat-based treats, because his eyes seemed to get a little redder when he ate those.  So, I did it in case he's got some kind of weird allergy, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

So, what do you guys think?  Suggestions? 

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Ranger is looking a little ashy...any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 11:30:24 am »
We had a spring spaniel years ago who had that and it was due to food allergies.  He ended up on a diet of chicken and mashed potatoes....ye p mashers  ::)!  I got the dried potatoes and added water and he was fine.

Chester had the itchies on Proplan and I took him off that and he's now on Natural Balance Duck and potato--allergy formula.  I also give him a fish oil capsule everyday.  No more itchies!!! ;D

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 11:34:18 am »
Cabeza used to have terrible skin problems, Heather. We did raw for awhile, which really helped. Now he's on Wysong, which is very good too. He still itches VERY occasionally, but not all crazy like before.

Just a suggestion, I really do think that food can have ALOT to do with itchy skin!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 05:18:18 pm »
I agree with everyoneelse that it could be food related. I suggest trying a high quality food with a different protien and/or carb source. I would also highly recommend adding omega 3 oil. Also, they make moisturizing spray for dogs - zoey had dry skin at one point and the vet reccomended spray and it worked.
RIP former BPO

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 06:40:43 pm »
I think everyone is hitting on good points.  Diet is such a major factor in this.  As most of you Newf owners know, Newfs are prone to skin and hair problems.  This is what we do to avoid this:

We feed Drake Flint River Ranch Food, yet any of the other high quality foods people mentioned previously would probably work too.  We give him Fish Oil and VitaPet vitamins with his food.  We wash him with a horse shampoo, yep a HORSE shampoo.  It is the best stuff and works really well for dogs with your problem.  It makes Drakes fur so soft and shiny.  Maybe all those stupid "your dog looks like a horse" comments are for a reason.  ???  It's called Mane 'N Tail Shampoo, I'm sure some of you horse people out there have heard of it.  It's really great stuff, here's a link to it:

http://www.petvetsupply.com/grmmstr001.html

You should be able to find it at most Feed Stores or maybe your local Pet store.  Good luck with helping Ranger get some relief!  :)
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 07:22:50 pm »
You can get Mane n Tail at any large chain store, even some groceries because it is approved for human use as well. I should know, it is in my shower stall right now. ::)
Stella

dohertyswissy

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 11:49:10 am »
Thanks for all the advice guys!  The dandruff monster and I appreciate it!  I'm going to pick up some of the fish oil capsules and vitamins today.  I think it might be time to change the food too.  I'll be doing some research on that and I appreciate all of your suggestions as to what you are feeding your big guys!  Man, this is one of the numerous reasons I love this place!  :)

Offline HersheysMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 05:10:25 pm »
I also learned from another forum about feeding salmon or mackeral to your dog every other day.  It probably gives the same benefits as the fish oil capsules; I know it works well for my dog.  Scrambled eggs every few days or so can help too, if there's no allergies to eggs involved.  If anyone decides to feed salmon/mackeral, be sure to go really slowly at first, to make sure there are no "runs".  Good luck in whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you will figure out what is best for your Ranger :D
Tricia, human mother of Hershey, born 7/6/2004

Icerotti

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 05:21:30 pm »
I think you  have received excellent advice from the above posts. If it is not an allergy. Our trainer suggested 1tbs of peanut oil once a day , drizzled on the food. It is suppose to help with dry skin.
I hope everything is fine with Ranger

dohertyswissy

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 05:40:04 pm »
Okay...Ranger is still looking ashy, poor guy.  He doesn't seem even remotely as uncomfortable, but still has a lot of dry skin.  I was considering changing his food, but I'm still undecided, since he doesn't seem to be uncomfortable.  I've been giving him Vitamin E and Fish Oil supplements with his kibble.  The weather has been so crazy here in NC!  For example, it was 26 degrees on Sunday this week and it is 70 degrees today!  So, I'm not sure if that is having an affect on his coat and it is having an identity crisis?  What are y'all's thoughts?  Should I change his food?

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 05:46:10 pm »
Sophie's coat is ashy/dry right now too.  I think its just because of the weather.  She is eating Canidae which is a good food. When she starts looking ashy then I usually wipe her down with one of those doggy bath wipes or use Nature's Miracle coat spray which is supposed to removed oder and dander.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline jessicanparker

• Ankle Biter
  • Skuy & Ivy - the first meeting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 03:24:49 pm »
Our Dane had the worst skin ever when we got him. We switched his food (of course) but we also started using a shampoo that contains tea tree oil. The product itself is all natural and not too expensive. I believe it's made by/called Earthbath. Tea tree oil is great because it moisturizes and soothes the skin. I know the weather isn't helping things (I'm in GA), but try the shampoo and see if that helps him ease into spring.

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 04:11:41 pm »
I second the notions of adding olive oil to the food and shampooing with a tea tree enhanced product!
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.