Author Topic: Doggy Doolie  (Read 6856 times)

Offline spikey70

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Doggy Doolie
« on: January 11, 2006, 09:20:52 pm »
Has anyone here ever used the Doggy Dooley (sp)?  We ordered one and are planning on installing it this weekend.  For those that don't know, it is basically a doggy doodoo septic tank on a much smaller scale. 

Angus is now 18wks and over 50lbs.  We've (thankfully) trained him over the last 9wks to do "his business" in a 5' x 7' area, but even now it fills up QUICK!  Just thinking about all the more he'll be leaving us as he gets bigger and how PEACHY it'll smell during a Georgia summer, we decided to try this.   I know it's kinda late now to be asking for feedback (since I've already bought it), but was wondering who may have used it.   Or what else y'all are doing with your big paws "business"?        Greg

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Doggy Doolie
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 10:33:25 pm »
I tried one years ago....with a Springer Spaniel and I must have done something wrong because what I ended up with was a hole in the ground with poo in it....nothing happened!  I put all the stuff (enzymes, if I remember correctly) and nothing happened! :-\ 

I hope you have far better luck with it.  Please let us know what happens.  I'm sure things have improved a lot in twenty some years since we had 'Duffy'!

As for what we are doing now:  with two Newfies, I pick up once a day, put it in a plastic grocery bag, knot it and put it in the trash.  Cowboy isn't bad since he doesn't get kibble...only cooked meat so there isn't much.  But Chester on kibble, more than makes up the difference!!   :P

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 12:31:26 pm »
Mine all gets tossed into the woods for the wild critters to enjoy. ::) I don't know that I could use one but sure can wish.  I really don't like using the woods but with 3 and only once a week pick up for trash...well you can imagine the wonderful perfume in 100 degree heat and 100% humidity.  At least in the woods it disintergrates and goes away.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 12:49:01 pm »
I've been wanting that for a while now. I'm told you can do the same thing by burying a container in the ground and just getting the sceptic system stuff, but we havent' gotten around to doing that yet.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 01:03:54 pm »
I've read they work ok for one dog, if you don't have clay soil, otherwise the waste won't break down fast enough.   
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline spikey70

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 07:54:04 pm »
We bought the 3000? series.  It is supposed to be for multiple small dogs or up to 2 "big" dogs.  I figure Angus will eventually grow to what they consider 2 "big" dogs.

Our ground does have a lot of clay in it, so we're digging the hole even deeper than
reccomended and gonna put some gravel and sand in it to help dissipate the waste.  Really hoping this works.  We do have a small wooded area at the back of our property line, but the thought of tossing his stuff out there for the next 10+yrs is not very appeasing.    Anyway, I'll try to remember to post again in a month or two and report back how it's working.         Thanks for the feedback.        Greg.   8)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 09:14:27 pm »
I just toss mine in an area under the oaks in the back I've been mulching trying to improve the clay soil.  It breaks down really fast, especially if you get a little rain.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 09:30:04 pm »
living in an apartment, i picked up every time we went outside. 

now that i moved home, i had to learn the hard way that 1/2 an acre will fill up FAST with two big crappers.  after my first week home, and not picking up, i had TWO grocery bags that hardly closed.  (angus doesn't gain weight cuz he shoots all food RIGHT out his bum)....so now i pick up every time we go out, double bag it, and put it where the neighbors can't see it so i don't have to stink up the garage or trash can.  on trash day i throw it all out, and start again. 

it works out great now that it's all frozen, summer will be a different story!

GOOD LUCK!  I HOPE IT WORKS WONDERS!

oh, and....I LOVE THAT PUPPY!  he is ON the kidnap list!
NICKI

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 08:56:27 am »
Just a thought, round where we are in the UK, we use a lot of sceptic tanks. One of the things we do  is to connect 4inch plastic land drain, (flexible 4inch pipe full of holes), to the septic tank. they are buried and can be run to any length that there is available land to use. this allows the liquid to run off over a larger area.

We use a system like this at the local Clay Pigeon shoot, its basically a brick square about 4 feet deep with no bottom and gaps left between the bricks we put a foot of gravel in it then ran land drain out from each side about 20foot. To get the thing started we dropped a couple of road kill rabbits in it, covered the thing in timber, put soil on the top and it now runs the club toilets. We havn't done anything else to it for several years, but we do use a biological cleaner, not bleach as this kills the bacteria.

As the thing works we leave it alone - no one wants to know what we're breeding in there! ;D

Andy Bell and Hovis
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 10:21:29 am by nostaw »
Slime flies when you're having fun!