Author Topic: Big Dog Blog question...  (Read 11496 times)

Nicole

Big Dog Blog question...
« on: January 09, 2006, 07:18:23 pm »
Hey Jaime and Michael!

Loved the toothbrush that you had on the Big Dog Blog...but didn't see any links to the manufacturer's site...or any more information... ..whatchya got?

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Big Dog Blog question...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 09:28:20 pm »
Hmm.....I'll ask Michael and get back to you.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 09:39:29 pm »
YAAAAAY! Thanks, Jaime!!!

Offline GermanShepherdGirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Hudson Haus German Shepherds (where I got my dog)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 01:20:27 pm »
I disagree with brushing dog's teeth.  Dogs in the wild don't brush their teeth.  All you need to do to keep your dogs teeth clean is give them appropriate things to chew on.  Like pressed rawhides or pig ears.  I give my dogs pig ears once or twice a week and thier teeth are whiter than mine.  Dogs in the wild chew on bones of animals they have killed or tree branches.  Brushing your dogs teeth is not neccessary.
-Kristyn

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 01:27:24 pm »
I disagree with brushing dog's teeth.  Dogs in the wild don't brush their teeth.  All you need to do to keep your dogs teeth clean is give them appropriate things to chew on.  Like pressed rawhides or pig ears.  I give my dogs pig ears once or twice a week and thier teeth are whiter than mine.  Dogs in the wild chew on bones of animals they have killed or tree branches.  Brushing your dogs teeth is not neccessary.

I agree.  IF a dog is fed a raw diet.  However, with kibble diets, there are preservatives that they can't break down naturally and that cause tartar and plaque build up, leading to dogs needing their teeth cleaned.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 01:56:12 pm »
Chewing it off on bones is a good method but doesn't necessarily work on all dogs.  Some dogs can't have them because they can cause diarrehia or in my case if multiple dogs are involved fights.  There are dental diet kibbles too which we give out guys as treats but we try to brush their teeth still.  Plus your vet should be able to do a dental where it's like a visit to the dentists where the dog gets knocked down and there teeth are cleaned and bad teeth are fixed or removed.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 02:48:24 pm »

I just thought that the product was cool. I don't know about your dog, but my dog doesn't live in the wild. People didn't used to brush their teeth, either, but after many many years, it seems to be quite a pleasant type of evolution.

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 03:10:41 pm »
It depends on the diet and the dog. Annie our old Newfie had her bottom jaw amputated due to cancer. We brushed her teeth once a week simply because she only had 2 bottom molars left. Ive not had to brush Bell or Hovis's teeth yet, with what they chew and eat their teeth are always clean and there is no sign of problems. I do however check my dogs mouths a couple of times a week, it helps them get used to it, if the vet needs to examine them or they need tablets and I wouldn't hesitate to use a toothbrush if required.

If I'd not been doing this with Annie, I would have missed the tiny black lump and lost Annie 7 years earlier.

Andy Bell and Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 06:42:59 pm »
Your dogs lick their butts? How uncivilized!  ;)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 07:02:37 pm »
Nicole....sorr y about not getting the info to you. The first week back is the toughest.  ;D You'll get it this weekend once I email Michael to make sure he gets it. 
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 05:06:32 pm »
It's calle a triple-pet by a company called Benedent http://www.benedent.com/triplepet.html

You can find it at a variety of stores including amazon
RIP former BPO