Author Topic: It's now a $900 Tummy-ache  (Read 4640 times)

Offline IZ

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
It's now a $900 Tummy-ache
« on: January 21, 2006, 05:06:53 pm »
Several of you may have been following my previous posting (the $300 tummy-ache). Our saga continues and I'm looking for some Big PAws advice.
Iz is 15 weeks old (I must update this photo). He has had terrible diarreha since before Christmas. Two weeks ago, he was FIANLLY diagnosed with Hooks and started on Panacure de-wormer for 6 days. Also at this time, our vet started him on a new diet since he was so underweight (he had been eating rice for a while). The new diet consists of Fromm Chicken a la Veg for AM and PM. Lunch is oatmeal mixed with yogurt and bedtime snack is banana and canned pumpkin with a littel chicken mixed in. He did GREAT... until day 8 and the diarreha came back full force. The vet started him back on the panacure - we're on day 5 now - and he still has terrible diarreha. We're on the same diet. Other than this - he is great - plays, drinks, sleeps etc....
In the first round of panacure, he started to gain weight, but now he has stalled again.
We are VERY concerned and VERY frustrated - any thoughts???
Jennifer - IZ's Mom

"I like my daddy better".  -Iz

Kiahpyr

Re: It's now a $900 Tummy-ache
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 05:11:12 pm »
I'm sorry I don't have any advice. I just want to say that I'm sending positive thoughts your way and will keep you in my thoughts. I hope he gets better soon! The poor litttle guy.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 05:20:45 pm »
We went through the wringer with our currently 8 mo old lab pup.  We got him at 5 mo old from a kennel with 37 dogs and his digestion was all mixed up.  Every test showed negative for worms but he had TERRIBLE diarrhea.  We ended up using metronidazole/Flagyl which turned it right around.  Sometimes worms can be present and they aren't actually showing up in the sample (can't remember exactly how that works) but there are also times where the bacteria get out of hand in the intestine and the Flagyl will help fix that.  I'm pretty sure it is an antibiotic so it is good to use some good bacteria after the Flagyl.  It can be a little challenging to get everything moving as it ought esp in pups who tend to get into all sorts of stuff that upsets their tummies.
Daphne

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 05:23:56 pm »
The diet sounds great... any chance he might have giardia and the vets are missing it?? I was reading about doggie parasites the other night and it sounds like giardia can cause a lot of problems but it's rather hard to detect.
It seems odd to me that after panacur your pup would still be having such issues.

There is always the option of a second opinion... I know it is getting expensive, but, seems to me somebody might be missing something...?

I hope the little man feels better soon! Nothing more sad than a little sick-feeling pup!! Give him a little gentle puppy abdomenal massage and I'm sure he will appreciate it!! :)

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 06:32:19 pm »
With my first mal, tonka we had numerous vet visits for tummy-ache, diarreah, vomiting, but she would play all day long. The rice worked for a little while, but the finally it did not. Ask they about some prescription food, we are now on Hills ZD Ultra because she had IBD, but before we found that out she had that we were feeding canned Hills ID. I personally don't care for the kibble ID, but the canned worked wonders for her tummy. Ask them about that it is very bland and you can mix it with any food.

mjjensen

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 06:36:49 pm »
  You might also want to ask your vet about coccidiosis. It's caused by a protozoa along the same lines as giardia and almost as common. I went through several months of diarrhea with Sam and Max that was first blamed on diet change, then worms. One vet went so far as to blame it on me because I was feeding the pups raw which he insisted was not good for any dog. My new vet found the problem to be coccidiosis which they had probably picked up at the kennel before I got them. They were put on Albon and in about a week the problem was gone.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 06:40:58 pm »
  You might also want to ask your vet about coccidiosis. It's caused by a protozoa along the same lines as giardia and almost as common. I went through several months of diarrhea with Sam and Max that was first blamed on diet change, then worms. One vet went so far as to blame it on me because I was feeding the pups raw which he insisted was not good for any dog. My new vet found the problem to be coccidiosis which they had probably picked up at the kennel before I got them. They were put on Albon and in about a week the problem was gone.

Kiah had the same thing. Albon works great! I would definately asked about that. My vet did 3 different stool sample test to find coccidiosis. We knew something was wrong and he knew I wouldn't leave until I found out what it was.

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 07:07:41 pm »
I second doghealer on the possibility of giardia. I had a litter of bottle-fed foster kittens who brought it into the house (before I had my dogs). Wow, that was a mess. Aside from being misdiagnosed at first (some kind of worms), it took two rounds of medication to clear it out-of all the cats (spread to my cats).

I would just ask them to do a panel for other, less common, ailments mentioned here (assuming they haven't already).

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 07:44:45 pm »
Oh, poor Iz.  I hope that he starts feeling better soon!

Offline IZ

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 09:22:53 pm »
Thank you all - he has already been treated for giardia and cocsidia (sp) - neither ever presented, but the vet thought it may be it - so treated anyway.... so were back to scare one here. I am heading to the vet tomorrow for another screen - I'll let you know what they say...
Jennifer - IZ's Mom

"I like my daddy better".  -Iz

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 11:22:42 pm »
We had one litter with persistent diarrhea that was treated for whip  It never did show on the pups stools but on 1 out of 4 stool samples it showed in the bitch.   Everyone was treated with Droncit I believe as the vet said sometimes the Panacur doesn't get it all.  I also give Pepto Bismol with every loose stool as it has an anti-inflammatory in it that will calm down any inflammation.  And coccidiosis can come back repeatedly so he may need more than 1 course of Albon.  But good luck on whatever it is

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 12:19:59 am »
Sorry I have no advice for you, and I am sorry that you are going through this. Good luck at the vet tomorrow, I hope he feels better soon.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

k2campbell

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 12:30:20 am »
Just a suggestion - is it possible for you to contact the breeder (if you haven't all ready)?  I just thought that maybe (should any of the other pups have bad diarreha such as Iz), the breeder may have heard about it from another buyer (and) know what it is?

May be a longshot (but) ya never know...

Sending positive thoughts your way - I hope you can get a clear answer on what it is, and I hope Iz feels better soon!  ;)