Author Topic: Is this real or a joke?  (Read 5854 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Is this real or a joke?
« on: January 12, 2006, 02:30:05 pm »
http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/dwarfs/dwarf_article.htm

The little guy in the picture sure is cute... but a dwarf pyrenees? Hey who knows, nature is odd with all of its mutations!!!

Anyone ever heard of this?

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Re: Is this real or a joke?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 03:06:15 pm »
Dwarfism is a known problem with Pyrs.  As a matter of fact I know of one that was trained for obedience and did very well in those competitions.  She is 13" tall.  LOL... I just looked at the link you reffered to and yes, that's Willow, the obedience Pyr.  All breeders of Pyrs should be aware of problems in the breed.  This is one of them.  Peggy, Willow's owner has taken some real heat on this dog from snobby, better than thou breeders.  I commend her openess so that these things can be learned from.

Jackie Wood
Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 03:28:16 pm »
Wow that is really great of her to do this study, and for her to have not hidden Willow. Willow is so cute and she looks like a great dog.  :)
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 03:32:41 pm »
Wow that is fascinating! That's great Willow isn't hidden from the world, I can see how it would be so much better to be out in the open so everyone can learn.
Yay for Willow!!! :D

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 03:39:45 pm »
Please tell me I am wrong and that "culling" the puppies is NOT having them put down just because they're physically deficient. 

Please tell me that "culling" means they get fixed and go free to a home that will love them. 

Please.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 03:42:15 pm »
Please tell me I am wrong and that "culling" the puppies is NOT having them put down just because they're physically deficient. 

Please tell me that "culling" means they get fixed and go free to a home that will love them. 

Please.

I wish I could say that.  I wish I could say that breeders no longer do this.  But I can't, b/c it is a fact that some breeders for whatever reason will kill puppies that they think are inferior to the breed.

Kudos to this lady for getting the word out.  And that article on dwarfism was very interesting.  I had no idea it was apparently somewhat commen in many different breeds.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 03:54:27 pm »
is a fact that some breeders for whatever reason will kill puppies that they think are inferior to the breed

That's animal cruelty, and they should be arrested. 

That's just WRONG.  If there's some kind of deformity or condition that means the puppy won't survive or will always be in pain, it's one thing to PTS.  But to kill a dog just because they don't meet some arbitrary and inappropriatel y slanted to appearance breed standard is criminal.  It's no different that that stupid woman on the Animal Precinct show that put the puppies in the garbage can because she didnt' want them. 

How does one find out if a breeder does this?  Will they admit to it if you ask?  When the time comes, I don't want to get my baby from a murderer.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 03:59:37 pm »
Well, it has gotten much better than what it was in the past.

Once upon a time, all merle danes were culled, as well as deaf or mostly white danes.  Same goes for other non standard colors among other breeds.  Most reputable breeders (I believe) will no longer do this b/c they have realized that quality pet homes can be found for them.  But I'm sure there are some out there that still do this.

I have no idea as to how you would go about finding out if one was still doing this.  I doubt they would tell you if they did.

chaosndestruction

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 04:34:03 pm »

Please.

It upsets me because I work for AKC judges, they breed labs and one of them has admitted to culling unwanted litters:( Just because they weren't planned:( I was very upset when I heard this...

Just because a puppy wasn't from a "planned" breeding doesn't mean it won't find a good home!!!!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 04:38:38 pm »
She's so cute! When I researched pyrs I read that it can happen. I would be willing to give one a home. I can't believe people would put them to sleep just because of size. Every furbaby deserve a life!

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 07:42:53 pm »
I googled this to and found the same info. I think its awfull that any pup would be put down just because it is different. 
The GP is just the cuttest.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 10:44:57 pm »
Along with dwarfism can be other serious problems such as skeletal abnormalities, heart problems etc.   As in people, dog dwarfism is usually associated with major health problems.  If I couldn't keep the pup myself it might be best to euthanize it.  Around here a few years ago an entire litter was put down because of this genetic problem.  Very sad

Offline Mel

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 06:18:55 pm »
Hi there-
My name is Mel and I am searching for our first family dog.
Along these lines, I saw someone advertising Dwarf Great Pyrenees pups. I had never heard of them and started searching for information. I contacted Peggy Walker and she says she would never pay for a dwarf (the breeder is asking $350Cdn).
Has anyone ever owned/seen a dwarf pup?
Are there any specific health problems that a dwarf would be prone to?
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Mel
Mel and the gang...
Black Jack- born 18 March 2006
Joined our family 28 April 2006

Offline Silky&Baron

• Gnawer
  • Baron: Great Pyrenees/Border Collie; 15 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 12:26:19 am »
Once, we got a dwarf pyre in rescue. She was only about 40 pounds, and was quite the stocky little thing. She had no health problems, but she had a very ornery temperament. She was (is) a great dog with people, but boy, was she a princess! She thought her life should be lying around on some big, fluffy bed, being admired and petted at her whim. She was not a big fan of other dogs, and frequently caused fights. She got lucky, and an older, retired couple with no other pets adopted her, and they'd been looking for a dog to spoil rotten.
Here's a pic of Summer, she was pulled from a kill shelter in rural Kentucky (the pics were taken prior to a good grooming, she was actually quite stunning, and snow white).

"Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." -Ben Williams
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anonymous