Author Topic: Titres ????  (Read 6421 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Titres ????
« on: January 12, 2006, 04:36:05 pm »
I just got back from taking Cowboy to the vet for his physical to be re-certified for Therapy Dogs International.  Because of his epilepsy, we try not to give him immunizations to minimize the chance of seizures so we titre him.   I was FLOORED at the cost!  I always thought titres were about the price of an immunization .....$30/each, was sort of what I was thinking.  Oh no!!  For 5 titres it was almost $600.00!!  Does that seem over the top to you?  Rabies alone was almost $200!  and there's a  chance it won't be accepted because the State of Calif. doesn't accept titres for rabies!  AGHHHHH!

Kiahpyr

Re: Titres ????
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 04:41:54 pm »
Don't mean to sound stupid, but what's are titres? I've never heard of them before.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 04:48:20 pm »
Oh, sorry.  It's a blood test to find out if a dog is still carrying  immunity to whatever disease he was originally immunized against.  For example, there's a parvo titre to see if your dog is still immune to parvo.

As the vet explained to me, most immunizations last in a dog's body anywhere from 2 years to 10 years, depending on the immunization and the individual dog.  That's why it's not necessary to do annual immunizations (and can be deadly if the dog gets too many and his/her immune systems 'flips' and starts attacking healthy blood cells.  I lost my female Newf a year and a half ago from that  :'().  The results of a titre will give the percentage of protection against that disease.  Last year, Cowboy was at about 75% if I remember correctly which is still considered protected.

The down side has always been that if you had to pay for the titre and pay for the immunization, it was double the cost.  Obviously, now, though that's changed if in fact each titre is over $100!!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 05:48:34 pm »
It's expensive, but still less than any of the HUMAN blood tests I've had to have regularly since they removed my thyroid along with it's papillary carcinoma! 

We all look at how expensive things are for our pets, but imagine how much more expensive it would be for YOU, and you won't feel so bad. 

(Personally, I think it's proof of how it's the insurance companies who have driven and continue to drive up the cost of human health care.  JMO....)

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 06:50:22 pm »
Poor you and Cowboy! That is seriously a ridiculous amount of money to pay.  :o Did he prove to be immune to all of the tests so that you didn't have to pay double or is that why the test was cost was expensive?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 06:52:12 pm »
MAN MARI! That DOES sound outta control!!!

I don't know for sure about what's normal, but my best friend titres all three of her dogs, and doesn't have the account of Bill Gates...and she's never mentioned THAT kind of expense before! YIKES!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 07:14:21 pm »
Did he prove to be immune to all of the tests so that you didn't have to pay double or is that why the test was cost was expensive

I won't know for a couple of days.  The only good news is that we didn't have to pay for the fecals since he had all that stuff done in Dec. when he was so sick.   If he does need immunizations, we'll have to spread them out so he only gets one every couple months or so....AHHHH.  So maybe another year without being able to "go to work".  Poor guy!!  And he always looks so big and healthy!!

And yeah, Nicole....it is incredible.  And his doc. doesn't charge me for her time since his stuff is always so expensive.

He'd lost almost 10 pounds since early December from going off pheno!  He's down to 136.  If only I was on pheno so I, too, could go off pheno and lose weight!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 07:24:32 pm »

He'd lost almost 10 pounds since early December from going off pheno!  He's down to 136.  If only I was on pheno so I, too, could go off pheno and lose weight!!! ;D ;D ;D

And so say all of us ;D
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 08:20:18 pm »
I knew that titres were more than the actual vaccine, but I didn't think they were that much more.  I was told they usually run around $50 or so.  Maybe that's changed?

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 08:24:08 pm »
That sounds ridiculous, I know Moni titers, I'll ask her.

Moni says "D@MN!"  I take that to mean that's over the top.  :P  Moni says that there should be cheaper ones if you can find someone to do them in house.  Probably more luck with a holistic vet. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 08:32:21 pm by Anky »
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 11:47:48 pm »
Moni says that there should be cheaper ones if you can find someone to do them in house. 

Of course!  Why didn't I think of that before?  The price goes WAY up for any work done if they have to send it to another facility for testing.  It would be much cheaper if you can find someone that runs their own bloodwork.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 09:56:24 am »
Yep!  That makes sense...becaus e the ER sends all their labs out!  Next year I'll try that!

Thanks guys!  I knew I'd get an answer ( or at least sympathy!! ;) ) here!!!

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 02:17:18 pm »
You might want to research and consider having nosodes done for your baby, rather than vaccines and titers.  They are the homeopathic version to prevent the same diseases, without stressing out their immune systems so badly.   A good place to find some info to get you started is  http://www.beowulfmastiffs.com/  go down the menu on the left side to "Holistic Information"

Weedsport, NY

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 02:55:37 pm »
WoW!!!  What a great source of information!  Do you know if nosodes are accepted as equivalent for Therapy Dog Certification? 

Since Cowboy is epileptic, we are VERY careful of what he eats, and the meds he gets.  It may be that he just can't be immunized and so won't be able to go to TDI locations.  If that's what has to happen, we'll just deal with it.  TDI is fun, but maybe he can do therapy work with the people we know.  He great therapy for me all the time, no matter what! ;D ;D

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 04:01:37 pm »
Sorry- I don't know about the TDI requirements, no experience with that personally.  Maybe you could email someone with experience who is involved and have them get you some answers.  Good luck!

Weedsport, NY