Author Topic: neighbor's pug  (Read 4125 times)

Offline mitchie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Daisy n' Phoebe
    • View Profile
neighbor's pug
« on: May 16, 2005, 05:59:47 am »
Hello!
I'm having a problem with my neighbor's pug...he comes in our yard
to do his "business" and to mark his scent...which happens to be
some of my son's toys!  Another neighbor has told me that confronting
the pug owners gets no results.  I've squirted water at him and I tell
him to go home.  What can I do to let him know my yard is off limits?-
He's a sassy little guy that is on his third home and I think he's a great
dog...in his own yard.  :)  Anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you!

lins_saving_grace

Re: neighbor's pug
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 10:38:01 am »
We have 2 dogs next door too that come over to terroize us.  They have an invisible fence too ... they just run right through it. 
The rule is for Lady that if they step one paw in the yard Lady is allowed to eat them for lunch...or dinner.  :)  I know that's mean, but when their owners are so irresponsible that they can't control their dogs then I will take matters into my own hands. 
Try spraying him with your water hose.  He'll learn.

Offline mitchie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Daisy n' Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 04:11:00 am »
Yep, I suppose I'll stick with squirting water.  That way he goes
home only wet and insulted.  Like I said I like the little guy, I just would
like it if he stayed home.  That's one of the things I love about rotties!
They don't wander.  Daisy is so happy perched up on our patio
looking over her "estate"!  Oh, you just gotta love dogs to put up
with all of these things.  Hey, since you also have two dogs...do
you ever get the notion to get #3?  I do!
Thanks for posting back.
Mitchie.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 07:21:11 am »
He'll learn to stay away if the spray stings a little.  I'm tempted to resort to a bee bee gun with my neighbor's dogs. 
That's nice to know that Rotties don't wander.  We're getting the invisible fence this summer but I was hoping they wouldn't try to break it and run the block. 
I'm sure Daisy looks majestic on her thrown ruling the roost.  :)
I think we have our hands full with the 2 we have.  I'd love to get more...but our development has a 2 dog rule in the by-laws.  Probably a good thing though since Lady and Grace together are an army.  :) 

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 07:22:53 am »
Try a 1/4 cup white vinegar in the water in your squirt bottle. It is not harmful to the dog but most of them hate the smell and will avoid it better than just the water. That way,even if yoy miss the dog the smell is repellent enough that it still sends them home. I live in a heavily canine populated urban area with people that think as long as Fido is less than 20 pounds they can let them run loose to terrorize children and other dogs. I keep a full sprayer with me on walks with my crew ad rarely have to use it anymore. Now if we could come up with a deterrent for irresponcible pet owners.....
Stella

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 07:32:57 am »
We do that too...with repelant for the neighbor dogs.  It's so bad with these 2 (mixes of some kind probably a little over 40 pounds) who just lunge at anyone and everyone.  When Lady was tiny and I had my sick little terrier I would carry a baseball bat outside with me cuz they would sneek over and attack us.  No one in the development wants to walk by this house since these 2 have torn up 1 poodle and scared many kids. 
When I yell at these dogs the people come out and say their names and inadvertantly encourage the behavior with "aaawwwhhhh sweety, come in."  That is a good idea though...Spray the dog's people too. :)   Call the Fire Department and get out the big hose.
One good thing to remember though...if you can trap the dog in your garage or something on your property...cal l the Animal Control in your area...have them pick up the dog.  When the owners are contacted to come pick up the dog they have to 1. pay a fee to get it back and 2. get a ticket with a fine of over $100.  Our neighbors have a very long rap sheet of doggy arrests. 

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 07:51:01 am »
Unfortunetly the wrost offender is my nieghbor, four doors down with his two dogs. The dogs are only aggressive in front of his house, which includes the public sidewalk, so he thinks it's funny. They don't go in the street or beyond the lot boundries.He is also our esteemed Mayor, so no help from official channels. When I asked him to keep his dogs under control, that my daughter is afraid to ride her bike or blade past his house because of them, he told me have her go in the street!!! I told him no, instead I will bring my dogs down on a walk on their leashes and forget the "no" command. Raven is dog aggressive, and Merlin is very protective. Both are very controllable, but I won't bother. I hate to do it, but the situation is intollerable as we cannot leave our house without passing his. I'm obeying the leash law, and within my rights to walk my animals on a public sidewalk, so any consequences are fully on his arrogent ignorant head!

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 08:09:42 am »
People are horrible sometimes. I have a 6' chain link fence, all gates are always secured with a clip, I walk my dogs on a leash, I also have to deal with people in my neighborhood letting thier dogs run free in the neighborhood. They come up to my fence & make my dogs crazy. I call the town & report a strange dog running free in the hood. The worst offener is on thier 2nd boxer (un-neutered), broke thier childrens heart when the 1st one ran away, ya think they'd keep this one in the yard? NOPE. I would never forgive myself if my carelessness allowed one of my guys to run away.
Carolyn
Carolyn

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 08:52:05 am »
Especially with our Big Dogs...people are so sue happy.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 10:43:09 am »
Have you tried calling your local animal control? I'm sure your town must have a leash law - most do these days. Dogs should not be allowed to run around unattended - if for nothing else but their own safety.  If you don't have an animal control officer in your town, call the local police and file a complaint each and every time they come on your property. And, if they "lunge" at you and attack, the dogs should definitely not be allowed to run loose.  As for the pug - if he's a nice dog and his owners don't pay attention to him or take care of him, personally I'd be tempted to "confiscate" him as a "stray" and find him a home that will give him the love and attention he deserves!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline mitchie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Daisy n' Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 11:53:26 am »
I'm happy that my dogs are trained to stay inside of the invisilbe fence.  My rottie learned reallly fast and stays in the yard
with or without the collar.  My lab tests the limits all the time to see if she can go a little further.  Who's the smarter one?
I like to know my girls are nearby and not pooing in the neighbor's yard. :)