Author Topic: Darcy's Swollen Elbow  (Read 2150 times)

Offline kab416

• Gnawer
  • 2 Saint Bernards - Henry (2.5yrs) and Darcy(1.5yr)
    • View Profile
Darcy's Swollen Elbow
« on: January 13, 2006, 10:05:45 am »
I noticed yesterday that Darcy's elbow is swollen and appears to be filled with some fluid.  Its about the shape of an egg.  She is not limping or favoring her other leg at all, and doesn't seem to be aware of it.  She has several beds, but of couse often prefers the hardwood or tiled floors.  We will go into the vet on Tuesday, but wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Darcy's Swollen Elbow
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 10:19:39 am »
No experience but hope she gets better soon.

Andy Bell & Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 10:56:39 am »
We are having the same issue with Sapphire, however Sapphire is somewhat sensitive to  palpation. Darcy may have an inflammatory response within the elbow capsule to pressure from lying on hard surfaces. (I am sorry, this sounds ridiculous, but I forgot to write down the name of the diagnosis. I am trying to too many things at once.) It is limited to large dog breeds. Treatment consists of antibiotics and anti inflammatories, bid, for 10 to 14 days. The vet should recheck after 7 days of meds. In rare instances, surgery is required. Let us know how she does. :)

Deena
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 10:57:48 am by Good Hope »

Offline kab416

• Gnawer
  • 2 Saint Bernards - Henry (2.5yrs) and Darcy(1.5yr)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 11:23:09 am »
Thanks Deena, it doesn't sound too terribly serious, but we'll definitely get it checked out.  Hope Sapphire gets better soon as well.