Author Topic: Grey Newfoundlands?  (Read 22633 times)

Offline Sami142

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Grey Newfoundlands?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 06:46:55 pm »
Thank you for the Welcome!  I'm so excited to talk to other owners of such a wonderful breed! (and I hope to learn a lot too!)  I pulled up the link...that is Jinx's brother.  Jinx's Breeder, Amy Lane (Allegiance Newfoundlands), lives in Michigan...I recognize the one of Nemo in the dinasaur costume (it's on her website)  How funny is that???  I love you're picture...it's the cutest!
Sami, Jinx, and Rookie

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2006, 06:52:29 pm »
Small world, huh.

I would also like to welcome you to BPO.   I have two Newfs, Cowboy, a three year old Landseer and Chester, a 11 month old brown.

Welcome again, and please post some pictures in an introductory post so more BPO'ers can welcome you!! ;)

Offline Sami142

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 07:14:30 pm »
Thanks again for the welcome...I took your advice and posted an introduction.  I love your Newfs...they're beautiful!  I would love to have a Landseer.  I have heard that they have more energy than their solid colored counterparts.. . any truth to that?  Thanks again for the welcome...I look forward to talking more :)
Sami
Sami, Jinx, and Rookie

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 07:40:21 pm »
I've heard that Landseers have more energy than blacks....but Chester, our brown boy, is the most active, BY FAR!!! than any of our other Landseers have been.  We can take him out for a several mile walk (not Cowboy...the Landseer.  He has health issues) and after a drink of water, he's ready to go again!!!  I think I finally understand the Laborador retreiver and Newf connection!!!

Offline coral

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2006, 08:45:31 pm »
OMG, my brown boy is more active than any landseer i've met!!! And that's saying something.

And going back to grey. It is a recongnized color in the US, and I believe that you can show it. However I think most judges would hesitate to put up a grey. They are actually a dilute of Black, just like cream is a dilute of Brown. (Yes, there are cream newfies.) I think the grey's actually have a bit of a "ghost" like appearance to them, and they are truely beautiful.

Here's a pic of a grey puppy next to a black for those that want to see a comparision!

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2006, 09:45:07 pm »
Well not having any but, Landseers I don't have much to compare as far as their activity level. I know our pup Kelso and our female Madison are in constant motion and wrestlemania mode!  Our big guy Klondike will jump into play sometimes but, usually it is the wild ones.  He is definitely more laid back.   I will say that our female is the most talkative!  LOL!  She also has always acted like the Mom to the 2 males.  If puppy is jumping on somebody and he knows he isn't supposed to be doing that, Madison will nail him and take him down!  She is a riot and apparently has a very strong maternal instinct!

Anita & the 3 Newfies from NJ
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 09:48:29 pm by pitas »

Offline Sami142

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2006, 09:49:31 am »
That picture is so cute!  You're right they do have a ghost like appearance!  I would like to add a male Newf to our family and I was actually thinking about a gray one.  Jinx's sire is gray...He is Ch. Darbydale's G-Man (Jake) and he is a beautiful Newf!  Although black is my favorite...my hubby says I might as well get one of every color (maybe then I'll be satisfied!) haha

Sami, Jinx, and Rookie
Sami, Jinx, and Rookie

Offline IZ

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2006, 05:15:18 pm »
My breeder (Top Shelf Newfoundlands in Ohio) recently had a litter with several grays. Mom was a gray. My boy, IZ - his Dad's littermate was also a gray. I believe they are a recognized color and can be shown (just like the brown) - but again, not sure what a judge would do with one.
By the way - anyone see the Brown in the Eukanuba Show a few weeks ago? Rare to see a brown in such a big show!!!
Jennifer - IZ's Mom

"I like my daddy better".  -Iz

Offline coral

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2006, 07:54:21 pm »
The Brown at the Euk show was Zeus and he's placed in a lot of really big shows over the last year or two. I think he took award of merit at Westminster last year. Will be neat to see how he does this year.

And I remember someone just told me a grey won a regional specialty recently (like with in the last few weeks). I'll have to go back and see if i can find it.

Offline smkybear

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 02:11:20 pm »
Hi, I know these postings took place last January but I bred my black male with a black female and one of the pups is modeled color.  He looked black at first but his underfur is has now turned grey and continues to get greyer each day.  I wasn't aware the newfs could be grey until I did some research after this pup started to change color.  That is why I'm now here.  Does anyone know if it is normal for a grey newf to start out black then gradually change???

Nancy & Smoky

PS  BTW all the pics are great!! :)
Nancy & Smoky

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2006, 05:18:46 pm »
I have no idea about the color transition, but all the pups look gorgeous!  There was a posting on the various colors of Newfs, but I thought they were all born the color they were meant to be!

Interesting!