Author Topic: New Puppy  (Read 4822 times)

Offline rainiershadow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New Puppy
« on: January 14, 2006, 09:13:45 pm »
Hi everyone! :)  I just found this message board and hope to learn lots!  I got a Newfie pup just before Christmas and her name is Emma.  She is even from Newfoundland!  How funny is that?!  Anyway, she is adorable but my Shih Tzu is not thrilled.  My Sheltie is happy to have someone to play with, although he is getting slammed.  I say, what goes around, comes around.  He did the same to my Shih Tzu.  Anyway, I am happy to have Emma but the worse is potty training.  It is naturally not the best time.  If not for that, she is just about perfect.  She seems to learn fast, although the potty training is not going that fast.  She is 11 weeks now so I know it takes time.  I am feeding her Natural Balance, which is 23% protein.  I was told anything less than 25% is good.  And the ingredients are natural so I think she is off to a good start.  I have found a place that has bibs with elastic necks but they will be good when she is older.  Obviously, she is not drooling now but hope to find some for when she gets to be about 4-6 months, isn't that about when she should start?  Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing from all of you and making new "friends".  I don't know how to add a pic, otherwise I woulc include a picture of her.

angelsmama

Re: New Puppy
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 09:19:30 pm »
welcome to BPO :) cant wait to see pics!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 10:40:54 pm »
Hello and welcome!  glad to have you here.

Can't wait to see some pics, it sounds like you have a well rounded crew.

Offline HersheysMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 10:49:29 pm »
Welcome to BPO!!  I am Tricia, mom to a choc lab/pitbull mix named Hershey, and a zoo of other animals too!! (not to mention that I am now addicted to this site!! ;D)  I'm sure you will love it here, and learn lots of things too! (and we do love pics!!) :D
Tricia, human mother of Hershey, born 7/6/2004

k2campbell

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 11:16:53 pm »
Welcome to BPO!  I am Kelly from Alberta, Canada - and I have a 6 mnth old Leonberger named Kate.  Hope you enjoy it here (and) please post lots of pics of Emma!  ;)

I do have a tip for potty training.  We went to a dollar store and bought a cheap cow bell.  We hung it on the door nob with a piece of string.  Everytime we took Kate out for a pee (or poop), we rang the bell on the way out to the yard.  About 3-4 days after we got her, she was ringing the bell to go outside.  About a week after that, we removed the bell and she would go to the door when she "needed to go".  It worked great!

Other than that, we were up for about (a month and a half or so - I think?) once or twice a night to let Kate out.  Then (at about 4 mnths of age I think?) Kate started making it through the night without having to go potty (and) it's been the same ever since...

Hope this helps!  Best of luck!  ;)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 12:15:19 am »
Welcome to BPO with Emma! SHe sounds adorable and yes, potty training can be a challenge. Good luck and hang in there. Newfs are pretty willing to please you and are relatively quick learners so teach her something easy like pawing at a bell or the door or something to signal that she needs out. Remember to give lots of praise when she does it right too.

I'm Jaime by the way and have a 3 year old male Newfie named Bear. We can't wait to see pics!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 02:27:17 pm »
Hi and welcome!  Emma sounds adorable...we can't wait for photos!  Sasha was about the same with potty training.  All of a sudden, she just got it.  It was frustrating before that! 

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 02:53:29 pm »
Hi welcome to BPO enjoy your newf, they're great to be with.

P.S. Lets have some pictures!

Andy Bell and Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 02:56:04 pm »
Welcome to BPO!  Can't wait to see pics of Emma.  That's a sweet name!  Maybe the Shiz Tzu will learn to love her. 

And YEAH!   We must see pictures!

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 03:06:09 pm »
Welcome! You'll love it here on BPO. As with everyone else here, I can't wait to see pictures.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 04:01:40 pm »
Welcome!  Like everybody else, I can't wait to see pics!  Puppy pics are the very best!

I have a three year old Landseer, Cowboy and an 11 month old Brown Newf, Chester.  Housebreaking does happen....just when it seems like they'll never get it, all of a sudden you realize it's been weeks without an accident.  Emma will get it! ;D....promise!