Author Topic: icky ears  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
icky ears
« on: January 15, 2006, 09:08:16 am »
i think that fumble might have an ear infection or something like that.. they have been really sensitive and he crys from time to time when you pet him on his head near them..  and lots of yuckys in there! ick! i clean them out every day and use medicated stuff that the vet gave us when he had a yeast infection 2 months ago. i know that ear infections are common in newfs, due to their big ears.. i just feel bad.. he's starting to shake his head too, and i know that's a sign!  i just feel so horrible for him!  i hated having ear infections as a kid!!  :-[
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
Re: icky ears
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 10:55:08 am »
oh no!   icky ears are the worst.   

We are currently dealing with a yucky ear.   I thought Daisy had yeast only to have the vet tell me it is bacterial.    Why is it that the yeast flush smells nice and clean but the bacterial flush make me want to gag?   We are doing ointment morning and night with the flush at noon and the ear is not better.  Recheck this friday.   

I hope Fumble's is a quick treatment and clears up in no time.   

Do you ever feel like using a clothes pin on top of the head to hold the ears open and to air everything out?  Of course, I'm joking.  But when Daisy's laying down I have flipped that ear open to let some air in there.

Good luck Fumble!  Feel better soon. 

"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 02:54:52 pm »
Oh no!  Poor Fumble.  Sasha gets ear infections too.  Chris is really good about rinsing her ears with the ear clensing solution the vet recommended.  She still has to have antibiotic ointment every fer months though.  She does like to swim alot...

Get well soon Fumble!

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 03:22:48 pm »
Get well soon Fumble, icky ears arn't nice.

Andy Bell & Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 03:28:14 pm »
Oh, poor Fumble!  Get well soon!  Icky ears are NOT fun!  and we all know that Fumble likes FUN!!!

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 03:47:40 pm »
Poor Fumble and his icky ears. Phoebe my shar-pei used to periodically get icky ears and we use to use Zymox which was absolutely marvellous! We can't get it here in the UK, but I always have a bottle on standby now even if I have to import it from KV-Vet's website in the USA.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 05:53:03 pm »
Thanks guys! we'll my sister took him to the vet today and got him all checked out.. its just another yeast infection and they gave him the antiobiotic ear wash, antiboitic pills, and a shot!! poor guy! but he is never phased by the shots! I think he was on a high weighing in at 100lbs.. hes gettin so big!! I guess i've just got to come to the conclusion that he's more prone to the infections, but he already seems to be feeling better! :)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 06:18:51 pm »
Over time, we realized that we have to flush out Drakes ears every time he swims or he gets super stinky yeast infections in them.  So, we found this works.  Rinse his ears with a product called Hexadine, it cleans them out and you have to make sure to squish the liquid around in the ear canal towards the back of the ear.  You can get this stuff through your vet and it's not too expensive.  Once he shakes his head and gets all the excess liquid out, we put a product in his ears called "Swimmer's Ear".  It's for people who swim a lot and get water stuck in their ears, it dries the whole inside of the ear out.  This method seems to cure the ear stinkyness and keeps his ears clean.  I would go to your vet and go over all these different methods people have given you and see which one they suggest.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 06:24:36 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 06:22:44 pm »
Hi,

Wow he is getting big, I expect Winslow to hit the 100 mark with his next weigh in. I just ordered his new giant crate today  >:(  he still needs crate time while the wife and I are at work. a 100lbs baby just has too many things to get into.

Ah from this to this but boy he is still cute  :P

« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 06:23:43 pm by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 06:44:33 pm »
Awwww poor guy. ear infections are just the worst. I remember Cesco's first ear infection. Being young and naieve, my brother had NO idea what was wrong with Cesco. He kept crying when anyone went to pet him on the head. Finally I came and stole him and brought him to the vet. Poor boy had to get a shot, ear flush medicine and an antibiotic ointment. It took forever to go away. Now I always put cotton in his ears and clean them before and after he jumps in the lake. Sending best wishes your way for a speedy and less painful recovery  :-\
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 12:06:22 pm »
Friends of mine on another board all use this solution- it works great!!!! It's kind of a double barrel approach, if the problem is fungal the Gentian Violet will take care of it, and if it's bacterial the Boric Acid will work.  If the ear is raw from the dog scratching you can substitute Witch Hazel for the alcohol.

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel)
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution

I found extract of Gentian Root at the health food store- it's not even purple! If you do find the purple kind be forwarned that it stains.
You can fill the ear and massage in, I use those round quilted cotton makeup sponges (they don't fall apart like cotton balls). I soak one good, then stick it down in Earnest's ear, and let him shake it out.  It stays in long enough to do the trick- I've never had to treat his ears for more than a few days, I usually do it morning and night every other day for three times.   
If your dog gets frequent yeast infections you might try switching to a rice-based food, corn and wheat in the diet can make a dog more susceptible, since I switched a year ago Earnest hasn't had a problem with yeast except once, when I fed him a bunch of regular dog biscuits in a relatively short period of time.

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 07:46:28 pm »
yea, I have heard that works too!
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.