Author Topic: No more heats!!!  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
No more heats!!!
« on: January 13, 2006, 04:22:20 pm »
We finally got Daisy fixed and boy am I relieved! She seems to be doing well so far, although she is a bit lethargic.
Luke is frustrated because all he wants to do is play play play, and his sister just isn't into it right now. He's tried every tactic from luring her into a chase, stealing her toys, even biting her nose. We tell him "gentle...kisse s!" which so far has only been used for people. Luke is used to wrestling, chewing and sitting on Daisy, this just doesn't make any sense to him! Poor guy.  ;D
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Icerotti

Re: No more heats!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 04:32:18 pm »
Glad to hear she is doing well :) Poor Luke he wants his playmate back ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 04:32:43 pm by Icerotti »

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 06:03:09 pm »
Since I didnt intend on breeding my dobes, having them both spayed was the best thing I ever did!  It cuts their chances of cancer and other diseases down so drastically, not to mention no more following them around through the house with a mop for a week or two!! When Darmok came into her first heat, she must have sent out satellite signals, because there were male dogs from all over the county camped out on our porch, in our yard, under my car, practically hanging from the sky! SOOOO GLAD it;s over and done with!  Your two will work out a playing schedule soon, I'm sure.  My two wrestle all the time!
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 06:23:47 pm »
I am assuming that this is true for male dogs as well? Luke is next on my list and I'm trying to convince Chip(his daddy) that neutering isn't evil and demeaning and is actually beneficial to his longterm health. Not to mention it will keep his hormones in check when neighboring females go into heat.

Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 08:21:41 pm »
My sister in law kept 2 male dobies out of her last litter.  Actually, she gave one to her daughter, and one to her son, but she ended up keeping both dogs herself.  Anyway, they got to be 2 yrs old, and would NOT stop fighting each other--they have scarred each others' heads up something awful!  I kept telling her to "get them guys fixed!", but her husband somehow felt that neutering the male dogs was gonna make HIM less manly or something equally as weird, and he kept saying no.  Well, she had no choice, cos they bought muzzles for the dogs, and they ate the muzzles off each other so they could still fight!  They still growl a little at each other, but since she had them neutered 2 months ago, no more fights.  And her husband just pretends that it never happened! SO everybody is happy now! ;D
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 08:54:06 pm »
Glad to hear everything worked out! And they only had to maul each other first. :(
My uncle was the same way until his shepherd came home completely battered from fighting another male. It wasn't worth it.
I will probobly end up taking him on my own soon, because I don't want to wait for consequences to finally change his mind. A dog fight is one thing, but I would never forgive myself if Luke got hit by a car chasing after a female in heat. I don't want to learn that kind of lesson when it can be so easily prevented.
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix