Author Topic: how long...?  (Read 5069 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
how long...?
« on: January 16, 2006, 03:58:04 pm »
  i was wondering how long did it take you all to potty train your saints? i am getting a saint pup soon and am planning on crate training. are saints generally fast or slow to housetrain?
  THANKS,

Yaz

Re: how long...?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 04:36:43 pm »
Funny you should post this question - I have a 15 week old Saint and he is the second Saint pup we have owned. I honestly believe that with most breeds, the length of time it takes to housebreak depends on the owner more than the dog. Having said that, there are many smaller breeds that are notorious for housebreaking.
With the two Saint pups, I found them both to catch on very quickly to doing their business outside. I used a crate and am a stay-at-home mom so it has been a lot easier to run them outside to go pee.
But the one obsticle that may impede the speed of housebreaking is that a) Saints puppys seem to drink a heck of a lot of water and 2) They sleep quite a bit. What I find is that Gershwin learned to do his business on command by 10 weeks of age, but his bladder is still that of a puppy. So he would drink a lot of water, I would take him out to do his business, he would come inside, fall into a deep sleep in his crate, and when he woke out he would have to go immediately - or a few times he started peeing as soon as he woke up - ugh!
However,Guinness, our first Saint pup drank a lot of water and never peed his crate so maybe Gershwin is just a little...slowe r on the update or Guinness was extra quick.

Another thing that makes housebreaking a Saint a bit challenge is how big they get so quickly. Ideally, you pick a spot in your yard and when the pup has to go outside you carry it quickly to the spot where you want it to pee - this gives it a certain area for doing its business so your lawn doesn't get pee stains all over it. By 10 weeks of age the average Saint weighs close to or over thirty pounds so it gets progressively harder and harder to carry the pup to the designated pee spot. At 15 weeks, Gersh is 57 pounds and when he has to go he goes as soon as he gets outside - I haven't a chance to take him to any spot farther than the one he immediately chooses!
Anyways, best of luck with your new pup - post lots of pics!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 05:00:00 pm »
In my experience saints are pretty slow to housetrain for four reasons: they aren't known as the smartest breed in the world so they dont learn too quickly, and also like yaz said, they drink a lot and sleep a lot, and also grow very quickly...
RIP former BPO

Yaz

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 05:20:55 pm »
You know Shangrila, I have heard that about Saints not being the smartest dogs, but I do not know if that is true. Both the Saints I have had learned sit, stay, down, come, wait by 12 weeks of age. I have trained dozens of dogs, from a Norfolk Terrier to an Australian Shepherd, and I would say that my Saint puppies have been as sharp as the Aussie. I remember taking Guinness to puppy class and the instructor wanted to demonstrate the stay command to the class and took a puppy from a class participant to use as a demonstration dog. That dog didn't catch on quickly so she tried another dog. And another. As she was scanning for a fourth pup to use she said "well let me use dopey here", referring jokingly to Guinness since he was lying down looking relaxed as only Saints can. Sure enough, Guinn did the stay command on the first try (I actually had taught it to him at 10 weeks of age). She was impressed and quickly revised her opinion of ol dopey.

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 07:19:47 pm »
Bubba was completely housetrained by 5 months old. By completely I mean that I could trust him out of sight without him peeing somewhere.

He was also pretty quick to catch on at first. But he hit what I would call a 'lazy stage' at around 4 months. At that point he stopped just telling me he needed outside and waited for me to 'ask' him. I continued to take him outside frequently regardless. Then at 5 months it just clicked in.

I definitely wouldn't say Saints are not smart. It's more of "I will learn what I want to learn at my own pace" type of attitude. Bubba sure learned quickly how to lift the garbage can lid and open cupboards. LOL

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 01:20:37 pm »
Hey guys,

There is no way that Saints are not smart.  1) I am biassed but 2) Day-z does smart things all day long.  They are stubborn though.

I thought that Day-z would never get the hang of toilet training, but she did, one day when she was 6 months old - before that i just think her bladder was not big enough.

Please don't call them anything less than Smart......... .........  Leave that to people who don't like Big Dogs.

Dufus - and with a name like this i should know.

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 02:44:12 pm »
Riley wasn't completely potty-trained until recently. Well, I'm crossing my fingers anyway. Right before he turned 6 months old, he got out of his lazy stage (he went through the same "I'm not going to bother telling you" stage that Lyn mention... that's the best way I've heard it described). He stopped having accidents for about 2 weeks... all good, then he had a couple of pee accidents. Now he's been fine for about 3 weeks.

My first mistake was that I stopped crate training for a bit. He would bark on and off all day. He was fine in the house (my lab has made sure that Mommy has made it *very* dog proof), except for the accidents. I changed over to baby-gating him and Sadie into the kitchen when I'm gone. He stopped barking and the accidents stopped. The little lapse he had was actually while I was home (once while I was in the shower, which was annoying, b/c he'd just gone out). LOL.

I think it has finally sunk in, though. He sleeps with me at night. I close the bedroom door to avoid a wandering pee accident, too. Well, last night, he was loose inside (I had a friend over who left after I fell asleep; Riley was out and about, with the bedroom door closed). I woke up around 4am. I think he was hitting the door... not sure. Anyway, I let him in, he laid down, slept. Woke back up to bark at the bedroom door to be let out. He's started doing that. Woot!

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 02:52:30 pm »
Judge was potty fairly quickly. He was fully trained by june. Making him 3 months. I cant speak for all St.s but Judge is very smart. He learns very quickly. More so than most dogs Ive seen.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline Smaug

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 08:59:59 pm »
Hello all,

Chase is about 15 weeks old now if I did the math right.  He was born on OCT 2nd of 05.  Chase has made leaps and bounds on his house training.  It is funny though, we have no problem knowing when he wants to come IN from outside.  He has a nice back yard to take care of things and play.  When he wants to come in he scratches on the door and somehow slams his body into the door at the same time, making a sound similar to a small explosion.  I just wish he would do the same thing when he wanted to go out.  When he wants to go out he just sits at the door and expects us to read his mind.  Maybe he is just too spoiled.  Anyhow, there is no doubt that he makes his point either way.  Gook luck and if I find a miracle cure for him not to do what he wants to do when he wants to do it I will post and let you know that he finally found his independence or something.   :)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 11:02:00 pm »

According to S. Coren, author of "The Intelligence of Dogs", there are three types of dog intelligence:

Adaptive Intelligence (learning and problem-solving ability). This is specific to the individual animal and is measured by canine IQ tests.
Instinctive Intelligence. This is specific to the individual animal and is measured by canine IQ tests.
Working/Obedience Intelligence. This is breed dependent.

Yaz and Shangrila are talking about two different intelligence factors. A dog can be highly obedient, and a poor problem solving, possess no adaptive learning and have poor instincts. 

According to the "intelligence of dogs" which is the most credible compilation of intelligence tests and interviews - our beloved Saints are no where near "highly intelligent", largely due to their stubborness and notorious reputation for being difficult to train - this is also what knocks Aussies down on the list however to many peoples' surprise.  In fact, Saints are rated something like 65th on the list (Aussies are 42) - now this isn't awful in the grand scheme of all breeds - it actually works out to be "fair" intelligence - but not earning a "smart" designation. Google search it and check out the list for yourselves.

Everyone wants to believe thier beloved breed is smart.....give n that only 10 breeds earn this designation out of hundreds, most of us are wrong :)
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 03:25:38 pm »

According to S. Coren, author of "The Intelligence of Dogs", there are three types of dog intelligence:

Adaptive Intelligence (learning and problem-solving ability). This is specific to the individual animal and is measured by canine IQ tests.
Instinctive Intelligence. This is specific to the individual animal and is measured by canine IQ tests.
Working/Obedience Intelligence. This is breed dependent.

Yaz and Shangrila are talking about two different intelligence factors. A dog can be highly obedient, and a poor problem solving, possess no adaptive learning and have poor instincts. 

According to the "intelligence of dogs" which is the most credible compilation of intelligence tests and interviews - our beloved Saints are no where near "highly intelligent", largely due to their stubborness and notorious reputation for being difficult to train - this is also what knocks Aussies down on the list however to many peoples' surprise.  In fact, Saints are rated something like 65th on the list (Aussies are 42) - now this isn't awful in the grand scheme of all breeds - it actually works out to be "fair" intelligence - but not earning a "smart" designation. Google search it and check out the list for yourselves.

Everyone wants to believe thier beloved breed is smart.....give n that only 10 breeds earn this designation out of hundreds, most of us are wrong :)
I checked this out & I believe it to be very unfair in judging a dogs intelligence.. .Understanding commands is not at all the same as complying to the commands...Ind ependent thinking dogs are not "push button" obedience based dogs...Does this mean they are not as intelligent as a dog who will comply to the command every time?...I think not...I was very surprised to see my Pyrs listed low on the intelligence list...Very surprising indeed when the AKC describes them as an "extraordinaril y intelligent breed".

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 04:13:19 pm »
TY Gypsy  ;D
Coonie & Judge
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket