Author Topic: Dogs In The News  (Read 1314 times)

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Dogs In The News
« on: January 17, 2006, 08:11:54 am »
This is a pretty cool story that happened the other day just up the road from my house! The dogs were old lab-mix dogs, but they were really on the ball! Kind of nice to see a GOOD story about big dogs in the news these days!

Deputy: Dogs Helped Save Diabetic Master's Life

POSTED: 7:37 pm EST January 17, 2006

CENTERTON, Ind. -- A sheriff's deputy who found a diabetic man who had collapsed in a cornfield says the man's dogs are a major reason why he survived.

Morgan County sheriff's Deputy Steve Hoffman said he had just finished with a traffic stop on a rural road in Centerton on a recent night when he noticed something odd coming from a cornfield.

"I noticed what appeared to be an illumination or a light that was flickering and facing my direction," Hoffman told RTV6's Ben Morriston.

Hoffman said he went toward the light, where he found an unconscious Bill Burns and Burns' two dogs. The light was coming from a flashlight, which one of the dogs was holding in its mouth.

The other dog was lying on Burns as if to keep him warm, Hoffman said.

Hoffman said he saw on Burns a bracelet that indicated he was a diabetic. Burns was taken to a hospital, where he spent four days before being released.

Burns had been walking with the dogs when he collapsed. He said he doesn't remember the ordeal, but he believes that Hoffman seeing Burns' flashlight in the mouth of one of the dogs is remarkable.

"It's got to be just fate or faith, one or the other," Burns said.

Hoffman said the dogs "definitely are the heroes in the story."

"Had he not had the dogs with him that evening, I think the outcome would have been a lot worse," Hoffman said.
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

GR8DAME

Re: Dogs In The News
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 10:17:58 am »
You are right it is wonderful to see the news reflecting some big guys in a positive light. And the story itself is amazing.
Stella