Author Topic: A Vent, An Announcement, and some bad news  (Read 1410 times)

cricket36580

A Vent, An Announcement, and some bad news
« on: January 18, 2006, 01:34:01 pm »
First the vent.  This is something I probably ought to put on the LGD board I'm a member of but they aren't nearly as nice or as supportive as ya'll.  Here's the background...I have a friend that told me she wanted a pyr for a LGD.  She knew NOTHING about them or how they work.  I asked her if she would like some help in locating one and she said yes (gushed actually) so I found her a working pair.  This took a few months as you can imagine mostly because she couldn't spend a lot of money on one right now.  Ok...so I found her a pair in rescue that was already working.  She was getting them and then decided she wanted full blooded rather than a mix.  Ok...  Well during this whole odyessy she has stated over and over that she needed to do more research and talk to more people before she got a LGD.  Ok...so I find her people/a network of knowledgable people to talk to and get info and do research.  Yesterday she traveled 8 hours away to BUY A PUPPY THAT WAS 6 WKS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I ask her, "how are you going to train it?".  Her response was "They do this naturally - It doesn't need training!!!!".  WHAT????!!!  Everyone she talked to, albeit not very many, has told her that the parents train the puppies - not the people.  Does that matter?  Nope!  I reminded her of what people had told her and she basically told me to mind my own business.  So that's exactly what I'm going to do.  She has a history of using and ignoring and doing a really nice poor pitiful me party.  I'm just sick of it.  This isn't the whole history with her and there isn't enough room to put it here.  This is just one incident.  I am so sick of her doing stuff like this.  This is how so many end up in rescue or PTS.  I mean, how irresponsible can you be?  Not to mention her investment in her herd to the tune of $3K or better.  If you can't be committed to finding out everything you need to know and anything that you might possibly ever need to know, how can you be committed to your animals?  (not just the dog)  And then I asked her opinion of goat food because she has a dairy and has tons of experience and she told me...then said, "well, you're gonna do what you want to anyway.  I don't know why I'm even telling you this".  Ok, so my feelings are hurt and I'm really mad over her lack of resposibility.  However, I have always taken her advise to heart and if I didn't follow it I had VERY good reasons in not doing so and discussed with her the why's and wherefores.  And that's happened maybe once over wormer.  Ok, end of rant....

I am so excited that I'll be back online at home at the latest by tomorrow morning!  It's been absolute he** being cut off from you guys!  I'm really hoping I can have it today so I can chat tonight but I won't know until I get home.  :(  Oh well. 

There's been a lot going on with us like I started a new job and dh is back doing concrete (yippee).  However, I also have some sad news too.  Ya'll never got to meet Boudreaux, my ds's red nosed pit.  He was a wonderful dog and a wonderful ambassador for the breed.  Honestly, a remarkable dog that touched untold numbers of people.  Anyway, he swallowed a bouncy ball over Christmas and had to have 12" of his gut re-sectioned last week.  Well, he died Mon night in his sleep from, what Ithink, was a stroke.  He was severely debillitated by that time but had been doing really well in spite if everything.  Anyway, I'm only telling his story because I want everyone to be especially careful of those little $.25 balls from vending machines.  It left us with a hole in our hearts and over $1K in vet bills.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 04:12:48 pm by Jacksmom »

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: A Vent, An Announcement, and some bad news
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 01:51:22 pm »
I am sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you.

Nina
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 01:51:46 pm by Nina »
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 02:36:45 pm »
I'm so sorry for the loss of Boudreaux. Now onto your so called friend. I'm so sorry she didn't take your advice. You gave her the best advice to find a working pair of pyrs. They aren't for everyone. I just hope that she takes great care of the puppy. Six weeks is too young to be taken away from the littermates. They do learn from the parents. Keep us updated if you can. I would really like to hear if the puppy does what she wants it too.

BTW: How is Baloo doing? Got any recents pics? I'm glad you're back too!

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 12:40:11 pm »
Yeah, ain't they just?  I have a "history" with her and while I admit to being a little slow, I do eventually get there.  I'm just going to back off some and she can do her thing and I can do mine.  It's just so frustrating when a) poeple refuse to get educated when they know they are ignorant on a subject, b) that an innocent has to suffer, c) that backyard breeders are allowed to exist/live.  I mean just because something has reproductive parts doesn't mean you should use them!  (btw, I apply that to humans too...lol)

Anyway, thank you for the condolances.  While I realize he wasn't "our" dog, he spent more time here than there and it hurts terribly.  On a side note...When I picked him up from the vet, he was wrapped in a blanket.  I thought how sweet.  Of course I didn't feel the urge to unwrap him but ds did and he wasn't in a bag at all.  I thought that was so cool. 

Baloo is doing very well.  He's settled in and has become a real terror with the trash cans.  I'm not sure what he thinks he's going to find in the bathroom can but...So we are having to leave the cans on the counter.  Also he's started barking at anything and everything and he "talks" constantly.  I just sigh and deal with it.  Now i have 2 that bark at the birds, squirrels, wind, trees, their tail....Thankf ully our neighbors aren't very close and they love us!