Author Topic: Is it okay...  (Read 3082 times)

k2campbell

Is it okay...
« on: January 20, 2006, 03:52:09 pm »
...for Kate to be out in the yard (without a leash) after being spayed?  The vet gave me a sheet of tips to help her incision heal better.  It says she shouldn't have any exercise on a leash for a week (which I agree with - no walks).  BUT - she loves to lay out in the yard and birdwatch.  She MAY run around a little bit (but) not too much...

It's been tough keeping her calm, she's been much more restricted than usual, I don't want to take away her bird-watching too  ::)  It's quite obvious to me that she shouldn't run/jump (etc), but I don't feel letting her out in the yard is going to hurt her?  Her incision isn't bugging her at all (she doesn't appear to be in any pain, plus she's on a gentle pain killer for a few days anyhow).  Other than it being itchy, she hasn't shown any other signs.  It seems to be healing nicely, not red/swollen or anything...

GOSH - I think I've posted on here about 10 times a day since she got spayed.  Sorry guys!!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 03:53:17 pm by k2campbell »

Kiahpyr

Re: Is it okay...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 04:30:17 pm »
If you do let her loose in the yard make sure she stays calm. I kept Kiah on a leash for 3 days after her spay. It was hard, but it's worth it. You don't want to have them stitches come open. If it's nice keep her on a leash and stay outside with her while she watches the birds. Another thing to try is to put her on a tie out. That way if she does get excited you can still control her. Good luck!

k2campbell

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 05:07:31 pm »
Thanks April, that's pretty much what I've been doing (except no leash).  She is totally calm, she'll express a little 'bounce-step' every so often but nothing 'crazy' (if you know what I mean)! 

Thanks for your advice!  ;)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 05:40:30 pm »
I bet she is happy that she can watch her birds.  Dixie thinks she can climb trees and get them, silly girl!
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 05:57:15 pm »
I'm glad to hear Kate is healthy and well, I know you were nervous. I just went through the same thing with Daisy, who is a week into healing from her spay. I couldn't sleep the night before. She's doing very well though, starting to run around more with Lucas. I saw her bucking like a horse this morning...don't know if that's a good thing.  :-\  She didn't want to play the first few days after the surgery(just sleep), I think we got lucky in that respect. It's tough keeping 'em calm when they've been cooped up so long! She's getting the stitches out next Thursday, and then it will all be over!!! Luke's next though.

Oh, and I stayed home from work this week and we don't have the internet.....o therwise I'd have been posting as much as you!  ;D
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 09:14:07 pm »
Has anyone ever used the Solid Gold Pet Calm for time like this?

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 09:17:42 pm »
I'm unfamiliar with that. What is it?
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile

k2campbell

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 04:19:29 pm »
I'm glad to hear Kate is healthy and well, I know you were nervous. I just went through the same thing with Daisy, who is a week into healing from her spay. I couldn't sleep the night before. She's doing very well though, starting to run around more with Lucas. I saw her bucking like a horse this morning...don't know if that's a good thing.  :-\  She didn't want to play the first few days after the surgery(just sleep), I think we got lucky in that respect. It's tough keeping 'em calm when they've been cooped up so long! She's getting the stitches out next Thursday, and then it will all be over!!! Luke's next though.

Oh, and I stayed home from work this week and we don't have the internet.....o therwise I'd have been posting as much as you!  ;D

Glad to hear Kate has a 'spay-sister' in Daisy!  Also glad to hear everything went well!  Kate's doing really good, although she threw-up today (for the 1st time EVER), but looks like she just had an upset tummy as it was all grass.  She is doing fine now.  She's calmer today than yesterday (but I think it's because of the upset tummy).  I know what you're talking about in regards to Daisy "bucking like a horse", Kate does that sometimes too...

Best of luck with Lucas' neuter too - I'll be here to support you should you be able to post!  ;)

k2campbell

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 04:20:25 pm »
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 04:20:50 pm by k2campbell »