Author Topic: gaurd dogs or not?  (Read 2660 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

gaurd dogs or not?
« on: January 16, 2006, 01:53:12 am »
I was informed today that my Great Pyrenees are not gaurd dogs like a Rottie or Dobie..."They are Livestock Gaurdians" not dogs that gaurd a house like Rottweilers or Dobermans"...Is there a difference?...My Pyrs can be traced back to 1800 BC...I am pretty sure thay have the gaurding thing down pat no matter what they are gaurding...Any ideas or comments?

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: gaurd dogs or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 07:50:55 am »
Pyrs are excellant guards but they guard without the lawsuit!  Dobes, Rotties etc have a tendency to bite first, ask questions later whereas the Pyr is very reluctant to go on the offensive as the first option.  They guard primarily by blocking and only attack if there is no other recourse.  If you ever look at a Pyrs expression when he is truly on a guarding block trust me - there are few living beings that will then challenge.  It is ingrained in their genetics that if the Pyr gets hurt or killed then all will be lost as there is nothing to then guard the flock.  So attacking is the last option not the first.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 09:22:41 am »
Pyrs are excellant guards but they guard without the lawsuit!  Dobes, Rotties etc have a tendency to bite first, ask questions later whereas the Pyr is very reluctant to go on the offensive as the first option.  They guard primarily by blocking and only attack if there is no other recourse.  If you ever look at a Pyrs expression when he is truly on a guarding block trust me - there are few living beings that will then challenge.  It is ingrained in their genetics that if the Pyr gets hurt or killed then all will be lost as there is nothing to then guard the flock.  So attacking is the last option not the first.
Ty Patrick!...That makes Pyrfect sense! :) My guys put on a pretty fierce front but I haven't really ever worried about them biting.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 10:21:58 am »
I love the way that Dixie will run to the fence and Sugar Bear will block my way. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 10:47:17 am »
Kiah will run to the fence and bark. Lisa it sounds like you have perfect pyrs. I have read that if you have more then one that's what they will do. One will fend off and the others will guard their flock.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 10:57:40 am »
Angus barks at me so I'll go let whoever is at the fence in the yard so he can lick them!!

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 11:00:28 am »
Chelle,
The person who spoke to you may have been referring to the original intent of the breeds, rather than your particular animals. Dobies and rotts were always intended as personal protection animal, whereas pyrs were for livestock guardians. Her logic falls apart though, as you and your family have become the flock, and your home and property the field. I have no doubt that Rosie and the boys would go into full guard mode to protect you and your family.
Stella

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 03:26:06 pm »
I just spoke with Jackie (Pippin's breeder) because now I am intrigued by the differences in my LGD's & other gaurding type dogs...Jackie agreed with Patrick, that Pyrs will bite as a last resort...She also said that if we weren't home they might not do anything but bark if someone would come in that shouldn't be here because Pyrs do not tend to protect things like home & the things in it but more gaurd & protecttheir "flock"...This is really interesting!

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 10:44:54 pm »
Well I don't know - a friend of mine went to work and left her big male in the house.  When she came home the big male had a burgler trapped in the corner.   Poor burglar was in tears- she said the dog was standing on his shoulders just daring him to move!

Bet ya that ended his burglar days!!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 10:57:33 pm »
Well I don't know - a friend of mine went to work and left her big male in the house.  When she came home the big male had a burgler trapped in the corner.   Poor burglar was in tears- she said the dog was standing on his shoulders just daring him to move!

Bet ya that ended his burglar days!!
That is not only interesting it makes me snicker!! ;D