Author Topic: trimming hair under paws  (Read 11380 times)

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
trimming hair under paws
« on: May 17, 2005, 12:26:03 pm »
Does anyone have a good method when it comes to trimming hair under the paws.Im afraid to use scissors because he is still a puppy with alot of energy and he doesnt like to sit still much.

Offline new2saints

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: trimming hair under paws
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 01:20:55 pm »
You really need to stop posting such cute pictures of your baby...there is a kidnapping conspiracy around here somewhere  ;)  Sorry don't know anything about the hair trimming thing, but I need to know, too!!

new2saints

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 01:58:58 pm »
I use electric clippers, in fact just finished doing Beauty!  Now that her pups are almost weaned she was ready for a "new look"  LOL!  She is blowing her coat but looks sooo much better after a bath, blowdry, and nail treatment!  LOL!  We have been wroking her on the grooming table since she was 3 months old and messed with her feet frequently, I never really had a problem keeping her still.  Good Luck!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Luvmydanes

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 02:43:14 pm »
I agree with new2saints stop posting such cute pictures!! Do you take them yourself? They look professional!

Kandi

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 05:55:35 pm »
We do Bear's  paws quite often (every 2-3 weeks) to keep him cool and slip-free on the floor.  :D We use small clippers on him. He seems to really enjoy it especially when we're all done. If we had our camera back I'd show you pics but it won't be fixed for another week or two.  :( Just make sure that you apply a little pressure when you do it or you'll tickle him and he'll wiggle all over.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 07:51:17 pm »
I just use sissors. Finn couldn't care less about being grommed, infact he rather enjoys the attention, even if he doesn't care for the actual task. My girls don't like having thier feet touched at all, but they let me do it. They give a whimper of "please hurry up Mum" but they don't give me a hard time. I think if you start when they're young they just get used to it, even if they never like it.

Vicki

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 10:42:57 pm »
A very good idea to start working with their feet when they are puppies, not only when you clip nails or hair, but just mess around with them, so they get used to having them touched. They do have scissors that are not pointy, they are quite good to use. Since I used to work as a groomer, I have all the equipment, but I think my fav. for the paws is the little cordless electrical clipper, they come in different sizes and shapes, the real small ones are almost "pen like" or the little larger with a narrow blade. They are easy to use, just make sure you dont nick the skin inbetween the toes with the clipper. Good Luck

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 08:14:52 pm »
Zoey hates to have her paws messed with, so my trick is to give her a frosty paws (she LOVES them) and then I can groom as much as I need while she is busy focusing on slowly licking up her tasty treat. I use some small clippers that are thin and kind of sort and have little circles on the end so you can't accidentally jab her. So far I have only clipped her paw hair in the winter because the snow would stick in it and I worried that I would miss a peice when I cleaned them out after a walk and she would get some frost-bite-paws. Can anyone tell me why you would need to clean the hair out from under paws in the summer?
RIP former BPO

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 08:27:08 pm »
All this time I thought spotakiss was a girl.  :-[  :-[ Judge is really dissapointed.I love all the new pics. Go enter the pagent. K
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 08:54:37 pm »
All this time I thought spotakiss was a girl.  :-[  :-[ Judge is really dissapointed.I love all the new pics. Go enter the pagent. K
Coonie

Darn it Judge.... I feel for you hehe take a look at Zoey though, she is a cutie and seems to be a good sport  ;D I love that snow pic.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 08:02:52 am »
Thanks for the Frosty Paws trick, we have been going to the groomer and already it takes 2 people to hold her. I think all dogs love frosty paws.

Offline cathy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 09:03:29 pm »
I use both scissors and electric clippers. I started them getting used to it when they were both very young. Now they let me work on their feet without any trouble. Although it does tickle them at times.  :)
Cathy
~*~ Cathy ~*~
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.
Helen Keller

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 09:21:10 pm »
I wait until they are taking a nap, after a long walk.  I pet them for a while, play with there feet and then just clip away.  I do it about once a week because Sugar Bear slips on our floor if I do not.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2005, 08:21:55 am »
Max hates getting his nails clipped and ears cleaned.  For nail clipping my husband and I have to team up.  One person is giving milk bones and the other is clipping.  It's all about distraction.  Maxwell's ears are constantly dirty!!!  I can clean them one day and the next day they are full of Wax and crud.  My cocker is the opposite.  Never has dirty ears. 

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2005, 08:55:26 am »
Can anyone tell me why you would need to clean the hair out from under paws in the summer?

We trim the newfies feet to keep them from sliding around on smooth floors and to keep the burrs from sticking to their feet.  Also, we have an awful weed here called foxtails and they can poke in the the soft skin between their toes and travel until they hit bone.  When we keep the fur short, it's easier to feel those devil weeds and get them out.