Author Topic: Help!! Sophie's eye.... (update)  (Read 5690 times)

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Help!! Sophie's eye.... (update)
« on: January 21, 2006, 09:21:15 pm »
Something happened to Sophie's eye and I have no idea what.  It looks like it is full of blood.  Its not just blood shot it really looks like a pool of thick blood.  She does not really seem to be bothered by it.  She is not scratching it but she doesn't really like us looking at it.   
       So I called the emergancy vet and she was really no help.  She said it was our perogative of whether to bring her in or not.  She also said that there is not much they can do with an eye injury.  I attached a picture of her eye but it is kind of blurry but you can see the red above her eye.    Do you think this is something I should take her to the emergancy vet's tonight or should I take her to her normal vet in the morning???  I have no idea what to do.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 04:51:39 pm by Rachel »
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Help!! Sophie's eye....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 09:26:49 pm »
EWWW Looks awfull. Im not sure what you should do. Im sure someone will come on with great advice.
If it were Judge Id likely wait till morning but thats me.Maybe she got something in it? Can you see anything in it?
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 09:28:57 pm »
Looks like she bumped it on something.  Unless it's tearing and obviously uncomfortable, I would wait a couple of days to see if it started clearing up on it's own. 

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 09:29:54 pm »
She went to the dog park yesterday and got into a little tiff with a doberman so she might have gotten scratched.  I just noticed it an hour ago.  I think I would have noticed it if it showed up yesterday though.   Its like red all the way around.  It almost looks like her eyelid is sticking out or maybe like a second eyelid.  Can cherry eye just pop up out of no where?
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 09:36:22 pm »
Oh poor Sophie!  I hope she's feeling better right away!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 09:37:31 pm »
Ouch! It looks painful. I hope that she heals up soon.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 09:46:12 pm »
I had a male dobie once that had an eye injury very similar to that, and we couldnt figure out what was wrong.  Took him to the vet and he pulled his eyelid apart wide enough to see if there was any thing in there, and sure enough---it was a tiny seed from a shock of grass or wheat (we lived close to a field that he ran in a lot).  Did Sophie have a chance to run somewhere and possibly get  something stuck inside her eye? That's the only time I've seen a big red spot like that under an eyelid.
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 09:49:42 pm »
I had a male dobie once that had an eye injury very similar to that, and we couldnt figure out what was wrong.  Took him to the vet and he pulled his eyelid apart wide enough to see if there was any thing in there, and sure enough---it was a tiny seed from a shock of grass or wheat (we lived close to a field that he ran in a lot).  Did Sophie have a chance to run somewhere and possibly get  something stuck inside her eye? That's the only time I've seen a big red spot like that under an eyelid.

oh wow.  There was hay down at the dog park so maybe some of that got in there.  But we werent' anywhere where there was tall grass.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 09:50:48 pm by Rachel »
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 12:14:43 am »
I hope that she feels better soon. I would go with your first instinct and take her into the vet tonight, especially where the eye is so delicate, if there is something in there you want it out so it doesn't get infected ect. Poor girl, I hope it gets better fast. Let us know how it goes. Sending good vibes your way :)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

k2campbell

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 12:25:49 am »
I don't know what I would do, I might go in tonight (or) wait until the morning (I sure am a lot of help, aren't I)?

Sending positive thoughts your way, I hope Sophie's eye is cleared-up in no time!  ;)

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 12:09:20 pm »
Thank you everyone for all your help and good thoughts.  Her eye still looked really red this morning so she has an appointment with the vet today at 2:45.  My husband is going to take her in.   Everyone cross their fingers that this is nothing serious.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Re: Help!! Sophie's eye.... Back from the vet
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 04:49:29 pm »
So it turns out that Sophie has suffered a concussion.  The vet found a huge bruise on the top of her head shaped like a dog mouth...   :'(  >:(  And it looks like the dog at the dog park also knocked her right above her eye which is what caused the blood to pool in her eye.  So the vet gave us eye drops and wants to see her back in another 2 weeks.  So... needless to say it might be a little while before we go back to the dog park.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 05:09:24 pm by Rachel »
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: Help!! Sophie's eye.... (update)
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 05:23:56 pm »
Poor Sophie!  We hope she feels better very soon.  Get well soon, Sophie!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 05:29:08 pm »
I'm so sorry, Sophie!!!!  That's awful!  I think it's a great idea to stay away from the dog park for a while!  Just rest up and get better!!!

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 05:36:23 pm »
Oh poor Sophie, I sure hope she feels better soon. I was just going to ask how it went at the dog park. I will keep her in my prayers that she has a quick recovery.
Jenn