Author Topic: Who here has a parvo survivor?  (Read 6717 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Who here has a parvo survivor?
« on: January 22, 2006, 07:49:14 pm »
Parvo is (unfortunately) the hot topic of the day for me here at my house and definitely for April (Tajsa) since her puppy is going through treatment right now. I have been doing research pretty much non-stop today (between bleaching sessions and taking my puppies to the vet for boosters).
I am wondering if there are some other folks on BPO who have a dog who survived parvo. Our newest family member, Leeloo (a 4 1/2 year old Great Dane), had parvo when she was a baby and her previous owners believe it stunted her growth. We haven't had her for long but the only health issue she seems to have now is that she is underweight.
Does anyone here believe one way or another about parvo affecting the future health of a dog? I have heard both sides: one believes that a puppy who goes through parvo will always be a weak dog, and the other side that says the dog will have resistance to the virus for life and the old "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" kind of attitude.

Any thoughts??

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
Re: Who here has a parvo survivor?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 07:54:33 pm »
cody had it and he is still alive and kickin!  don't really know anything, all i know is he is here and has been healthy ever since.  (although he has gotten REALLY fat...were working on it  ::))
NICKI

enuffpaws

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 07:57:25 pm »
Raven survived parvo, and under home care, not the vet because the people that had her didn't realize what it was. By the time they took them to the vet she was the only survivor. Although she is a little small for a dobie she has had no adverse effects as far as her health is concerned. I think she is small because she was the runt to begin with.
It is my understanding that parvo is most dangerous to the very young puppies, and very old dogs. If your dogs are immunized, they may get flu-like symptoms and be miserable for a couple of days but it is not neccesarily fatal. Hopefully they will not be affected at all.
Stella

Kiahpyr

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 09:44:05 pm »
I am hoping to be a part of this list. I was wondering if anyone knows about quarentine after parvo treatment. My vet said that the puppy should not be around other dogs for 30 days after treatment. Is this true? Is there anyway around this if it is?

cricket36580

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 09:52:40 pm »
I won't bore you with my experiences with parvo cause they could fill a book.  The vet I worked for really hated me and wanted me to quit so I got all of the euthanasias and all of the quarantine work.  Anyway...It really depends on the dog, how old when the disease was contracted, the amount of scarring in the intestine, etc.  You can have them that seem to be not all that sick and they can have incredible scarring.  Also, if the pup has already been exposed and the virus is in incubation, a vaccination isn't going to mean a hill of beans.  Bleach doesn't kill anything btw.  Especially not parvo.  Lysol or nolvasan does though.  Nolvasan will kill anything and is available through your local feed store like Tractor Supply or feed co-op.  There's a few other products out there that will also kill it but they are very expensive for the amount you need. 

Parvo will last for up to a year unless killed by a virucidal.  Period.  You can bring it in/out on your shoes, hands, clothes, etc.  You can add nolvasan to your wash water and make a "shoe bath" that you have to step into....someth ing like a dishpan.  I pay about $32 for a gallon and it lasts a really long time.

Anyway, back to the original question.  If the pup had early, competent intervention then usually, yes they bounce back and are fine.  The earlier the better.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 10:30:27 pm »
April, here is some info I found. This veterinarian seems to think you should just be careful. He thinks that adult dogs are safe.

"Your puppy should be considered contagious to other puppies for a good month so it is important to “play it safe” by restricting trips to the park, obedience school or other neighborhood areas.  If your puppy is less than 16 weeks of age, he/she should not be allowed in public areas until the vaccination series is fully completed.
Cats and humans are not susceptible to canine parvovirus infection.  Adult dogs that have been vaccinated are not susceptible, either. Puppies, however, are at risk. "

Our veterinarian (aka Will's dad) recommended that we give Mokey a booster (she's 5 months old) but not Nigel (he's 10 1/2 months old). He seemed to think Nigel was safe, as well as all of our older dogs. Turkey was due today for a booster anyways, as it turned out.

Hours later, I am still researching!!!

Offline hmm_gfx

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 01:39:35 am »
I just say April's post on another list.  I let her know that Tamiflu is now being used with great success for dog and pups with Parvo.

I also didn't know that bleach doesn't kill anything.  Guess I'll use the bottle of bleach I bought to whiten my whites and go buy a bottle of Lysol!

Helen and Cayman forever in my heart

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 02:05:02 am »

I also didn't know that bleach doesn't kill anything.  Guess I'll use the bottle of bleach I bought to whiten my whites and go buy a bottle of Lysol!

My current and previous veterinarian both said parvo could be killed with bleach, and a ton of veterinary resources on the internet say the same thing.
I don't understand how if it really doesn't kill parvo all these vets are just in the dark about it...?

cricket36580

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 08:28:12 am »
If you check it under a microscope, it lives quite well in chlorine.  I also know vets and other medical personnel that say bleach is wonderful to clean with but if you research chlorine you will find it doesn't...doesn't even kill mildew, just makes it change color.  The idea of cleaning with bleach is, unfortunately, grounded in myth.  If I get a chance today I'll try to find the links I had saved regarding this.  And just about any microbiologist will tell you the same thing.  I only put this out here because I know how attached people are to it. 

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 09:53:25 am »
Both the CDC and EPA currently recognise bleach as an effective broad based disinfectant.  It is also commonly recommended and used in healthcare environments.  I would be interested in knowing more info on disclaimers to this standard info  I know alcohol pretty much doesn't kill a lot of microbes but have never heard this about bleach

cricket36580

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 11:57:55 am »
I did some quickie research this morning and have found that while a 5.12% solution (which is common in most good brand bleaches) will in fact kill, it loses it's effectiveness drastically when diluted with water.  So it creates problems with handling it and also destroys instruments and creates toxic fumes in a closed environment.  That's why most healthcare and medical professionals went to other more effective and safe solutions. 

I'm sorry if I sounded arrogant.  I truly didn't mean to.  This info has been drilled into my head for so many years, and I have had my own biosecurity procedures in place for so long, that the where's and why's of it have been lost to history.   I spent SO long dealing almost exclusively with quarentine cases that I have a very healthy fear of parvo.  It's a nasty virus, not just in clinical cases, but in everyday life where one doesn't even think about it.  I guess it's a "hot button" with me.  Again I apologize for sounding so assinine. 

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 12:03:43 pm »
I have a heart worm survivor
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 12:20:45 pm »
I had 2 bitches who survived Parvo- however both died at 8 years old with liver failure - vet thought it was linked to parvo as a puppy

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 12:44:42 pm »
Half of Drake's litter died of Parvo.  Poor little puppies.  He was the only one that was completely unaffected by it.  Our breeder thinks it was either an infected blanket that they came in contact with or the fact that while she was away on business, her assistant was letting every person that came by walk around the whelping area in dirty shoes and let them hold the little pups.  What an idiot!!!  I think Drake has a really strong immune system because he hasn't been sick in the 3.5 years that we have been part of his life.  We'll keep our fingers crossed.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 01:38:14 pm »
I did some quickie research this morning and have found that while a 5.12% solution (which is common in most good brand bleaches) will in fact kill, it loses it's effectiveness drastically when diluted with water.  So it creates problems with handling it and also destroys instruments and creates toxic fumes in a closed environment.  That's why most healthcare and medical professionals went to other more effective and safe solutions. 

I'm sorry if I sounded arrogant.  I truly didn't mean to.  This info has been drilled into my head for so many years, and I have had my own biosecurity procedures in place for so long, that the where's and why's of it have been lost to history.   I spent SO long dealing almost exclusively with quarentine cases that I have a very healthy fear of parvo.  It's a nasty virus, not just in clinical cases, but in everyday life where one doesn't even think about it.  I guess it's a "hot button" with me.  Again I apologize for sounding so assinine. 

You didn't sound arrogent, it is true that most people feel safe using bleach thinking that it kills everything. When in fact it doesn't. Yes it does kill quite a few things but not everything. I know this because like you my mom is in the health care field (humans  ;D) she is a nurse, and also a neat freak. She disinfects everything! And when she uses bleach it is in full strength. She has instilled the neat freak in me too  ;D. Thanks for the info, and please keep it coming it is good to know about all the viruses out there and what we can to to keep our babies safe.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)