Author Topic: Staff infection ???  (Read 22683 times)

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Staff infection ???
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2005, 09:51:21 am »
Dufus
I hope Day z is feeling better. I still feel sad when I look at the pictures of Judge with the infection. He is doing great.
I agree with Nats. You should say something. If they left her wet then you should have been told. I wonder if they disinfect the tubs after they wash the dogs?? I would ask $300 is a lot of money.
Post some more pictures. Day Z is just so cute.
Judge loves her. ;)
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline Tippy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Staff infection ???
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2005, 09:04:03 am »
Thank goodness you caught the staff when you did.  Infections always scare me.

And I'm pretty concerned right now about my baby Bernard.  She's not quite 4 months and has had a staff infection three times!  Right now, she is on antibiotics - has been for two days - due to the last outbreak.

I just can't figure it out.  She is bathed almost everyday.  Since the first infection - we have kept her out of the grass - we are afraid it might start with Poison Ivy - but no one really knows for sure.  We poured a special concrete slab and put a kennel on it - so she could be outside a little - but she is sad not being able to play with the other dogs. 

If anyone has any idea at all what might be causing this - please help - we don't want her to be sick.  The first infection she got - about 2 months ago - we noticed because she seemed to have a little pus-looking stringy stuff left on her privates after peeing.  Then, we noticed that on her soft pink tummy skin - there were a couple of bumps, under the skin - nothing breaking the surface - but of course, bumps are never welcome.  They were about large pea-sized.  The vet saw her immediately, diagnosed it as staff, gave her an antibiotic shot and put her on Clavomox.  Cleared up in only a couple days.  Then, about two weeks later - boom - here it is again.  And by that time - we were already keeping her out of the grass - she has to poop on the gravel drive now.   The vet gave her more pills - and, once again, it seemed to clear up.  But now, here it is again!  We are so frustrated.  Poor little Katie wants to run and play with the other dogs - but we are too scared to allow her to.

The vet said she 'may' outgrow it - but it would be good if we could pinpoint the allergy.  She is bathed with Clorhexidrine nearly everyday - in case it is the poison ivy, or other contact dermatitis that is the culprit.

But, I wanted to ask your advice here.  Could it be something else causing it?  Her food?  She is on Diamond puppy.  Her water is clean - comes from an RO unit.  She DOES have one bad habit, however, eating feces if I can't remove it in time (if she has an accident in her kennel).  Could that cause it?

Could the other dogs be getting into the poison ivy and then spreading it to her?  We are not allowing her around them too much, just in case, but she does need a little companionship. 

This is just heartbreaking because she is such a sweet playful little pup and can't understand why she is not allowed to join in the fun.  We live on a farm - so there are a lot of things that could cause it, but keeping her on a concrete kennel we thought would cure it.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks in advance.