Author Topic: Staff infection ???  (Read 21920 times)

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Staff infection ???
« on: May 17, 2005, 09:31:15 pm »
I am having a problem with Judge. Yesterday we noticed a blooby spot on the top of his head. Then thismorning he had another one over to the side of the first one. It smelled really bad. I called the vet and took him in right away.They shaved his head and he has what she called a staff infection.It is awfull and I cant beleive I didnt notice it. Im posting some pictures to show you what it looks like. The vet said that this kind of infection spreads really fast. She gave him a shot of penacilin and gave me some antibiotic cream. We tried to put the cream on tonight and OH MT GOD It took 2 men and my sister and I to get it on the sore. It is so painfull for him.
Has anyone else had this problem??? Any suggestions as to how to put the cream on without it being so hard on him?? I feel so awfull for not noticing even though the vet said it can spread within a day. :'( :'(
Thanks
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Staff infection ???
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 09:40:58 pm »
Poor Judge!...But, don't be so hard on yourself...It is obvious to all here that you love him!...I haven't had to do what you are doing but if I back Samson's hind end into the corner of the cabinets in the kitchen so he can't back out & then straddle him I am able to give him a syringe of Pepto by myself...Good luck & keep us posted on Judge!

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 06:04:31 am »
I gave Judge treats last night after we were done and made a big deal about how good?? he was. Ill keep doing it that way. He also has eye drops, we are going to try that today. Im on my own so Ill have to figure something out for his morning treatment. It is looking much better this morning.
P.S it is called hot spots.
Thanks for the addvice.
Karen

Offline messiah

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 06:58:35 am »
I just recently went through the same thing with my pit mix. It started with a skin allergy then ended up with a staff infection. My vet put him on  Clorpheniramin e tabs (antihistamine) and 500 mg Keflex (antibiotic). Thankfully I did not have to deal with creams. He started to clear up within days.
I hope your furkid feels better soon.

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 09:32:18 am »
OMG! YOUR POOR BOY!  I agree that you should not be so hard on yourself, staph is something that lives naturally on the skin and in the dirt, etc...Usually does not cause any trouble unless it gets into an open area such as a cut etc...where it enters into the blood stream or the tissues under the skin.  Normally even a cut won't develop infection because we wash our hands and put bandaids over the areas etc..protectin g it.  Unfortunately with our dogs, and ALL THAT HAIR, it is hard to know if something is brewing under there until it is draining.  I do a finger through the hair run everyday on their bodies to check them out, but thats only once a day and I have miised a hot spot before.  Staph does spread very fast, can mimic what some call the "flesh eating disease"  is the spot growing or still the same?  Did she put him on any oral antibiotics as a precaution ?  What kind of cream did she give you?  I agree that backing him up in a corner will help you get the ointment on him easier than what you are doing now.  My Kuv's are pretty good about standing although Aidan had to lay on the floor when he cut his paw and had stitches for me to clean and wrap the area once a day.  He was not as easy as Beauty and we did have to lay over him the first few times, then her settled down I think after he realized we were trying to help.  The area Judge has will be more painful as it is open to air and that causes more pain, in addition there are so many small nerve endings in the surface of the skin and right below that just add to it.  I had a patient not to long ago who's whole leg had staph and every bit of skin was GONE, it was horribly painful and the dressing changes alone took a good hour.  Is there a reason she did not want you covering the area?  I realize thisis long and I had many questions.  Feel free to email me personally, I have aloto f experience in this type of thing, although not with a dog, but human patients are not much different in the way it works.
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Luvmydanes

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 09:49:23 am »
POOR JUDGE!!!! You are a great mommy and did the right thing. Those things spread fast, so don't beat yourself up. I hope he gets better soon. Keep us posted!

Kandi

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 12:45:35 pm »
Thanks so much. I thought it was likely the same as a human infection but wasnt to sure. Judge is doing much better. Now he has more strength to fight the cream though. i put a bit on this morning with very little trouble but this afternoon he wont let me near him. The sore is starting to heal but there is a bit of guck ozzing from the centre. I made sure to get some salve on that spot.
The vet didnt give me any antibiotics just the cream for the sore. Fucithalmic is the name on it.She didnt say anything about covering it with gauze. She did say that if got any worse or didnt get better within a few days to give her a call.
She also said that some dogs do not have the antibodies in there blood to fight this type of infection. She said that if he keeps getting infections she can put him on a series of shots to build up his ammunities. Anyone know anything about this???
Thanks for all of the support. I really appreciate it.
Karen

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 02:00:07 pm »
Thanks so much Ill go out and see if our pet store carries anything for this.We live in a small town so I doubt very much that they will but its worth a try. We had to go out of town to get him a bigger collar cause no one carried his size in town. ??
It seems to be drying up nicely I was just worried about it getting more infected with him trying to scratch it. He cant really get to it but he does try to brush at it with his paws. I think Ill go to the drug store and see if they have anything for humans that might work for him.
Ill keep you posted and get another picture so you can see the improvement. I think it will be good for others to see what it looks like so they will know if there dog gets this.
Karen

ann

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 06:18:32 pm »
 my boxer has had staph on and off about 2 years ....she has been on antibiotics off and on and for awhile we tried a shot nothing seems to keep it away...it does have alot to do with thier immune system so i hane her on supplements now...good luck

ann

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 12:14:31 am »
No dont blame yourself, staph's are super aggressive and can pop up within hours. And like Kildeskennel said they do live on the skin on both us and the dogs normally, and only when there is a cut or scrape or when we for some reason have a supressed immunesystem will it become a problem. I am glad that it seems to be getting better already. My dogs have never had it, but many years ago, when I was training horses, one of the horses had it and guess who got it, yep.... me and not only did I get it, I got it in my face...... Imagine being 17 and having staph in the face, not one of my fav. memories lol.... Hope things will clear up soon and that it gets better real quick.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 08:58:25 am »
Here is a picture I took last night. We had quite the fight again with the cream and Judge keeps pawing at the sores. After 1\2 a block of cheese and alot of praise we finally got most of the area covered in salve.WOW He sure is strong. He still isnt quite up to par but he seems to be feeling a bit better.
Karen

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 09:51:13 am »
I am glad to hear he is feeling better. I can imagine it is a struggle trying to put the cream on his head, the only thing I can think of is something I think someone else already suggested here. To sit him down somewhere so he cant back up more, then stand over him with one leg on each side of him and kinda hold him with your knees aound his shoulders, bend down and put one arm around his front (like hooking him) and use the other hand to put the cream on his head, but the size of him will probably make even that hard, if he is that determined to not  have it put on. But since it is getting better, at least you know that you are getting enough on there, even though it takes a good amount of cheese  ;D and some hard work from mom. Give him hugs from me

Marit

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 09:59:35 am »
Thanks Merit. We put him in the bathroom last night and my hubby did as you say. He has so much skin its hard to get a good hold on him. He managed to throw my hubby off his back. It was really quite funny.The night before when my Brother-in-law held him he did the same thing. Then after we were all done Judge wouldnt leave my brother-in-laws side. I guess he figured he was the boss(Al). LOL. Judge never really bothers much with Al.My sister is comming over to help with todays treatment. Hope all goes well.  :-\
Karen

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 10:41:36 am »
 ;D I am picturing this and I am laughing hard, I will from now on refer to this topic as "Judges Rodeo" I bet it was funny to see hubby thrown off a dog lol......

Marit

dohertyswissy

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 12:09:58 pm »
Karen - I am so glad to hear that Judge is doing better.  The infection certainly looks better in the second picture than in the first.  Sounds like you've got a regular wrestling ring going on over there in the bathroom!  I'm sure that was a sight to behold!  I'm guessing that Judge knew you needed a good laugh in the midst of all your worries.  Give him hugs from me and Ranger!  Heather