Author Topic: Staff infection ???  (Read 22558 times)

nickerbokker

Re: Staff infection ???
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 12:20:54 pm »
Here is a picture I took last night. We had quite the fight again with the cream and Judge keeps pawing at the sores. After 1\2 a block of cheese and alot of praise we finally got most of the area covered in salve.WOW He sure is strong. He still isnt quite up to par but he seems to be feeling a bit better.
Karen

oh my god that pic made me cry!  i cant see the first one, and i dont want to...but that pic looks SO painful and uncomfortable!  POOR BABY!  at least he has wonderful parents who are taking good care of him though! 

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 08:05:42 pm »
Hi all. Here is the latest on our Judge restling. ::) My sister and I were almost killed. LOL Just kidding. But we had a really hard time getting the 30$ cream on his head. Most ended up on our clothes and the wall. >:( I went off to the pharmacy to talk to the Pharmasist. He was more than happy to help. I bought some Polysporin. Came home and my Mom and I took Judge into the bathroom.DRUG him into the bathroom. I pinned him against the wall with just his head on the toilet. Managed to get a BIG gobb of cream on his head and waited for the worst. Well it was the funniest thing he just layed his head on the toilet and let out a huge siegh. His body completely relaxed and Mom RUBBED the cream in.  :o ;D It must have been that Rx cream that was hurting him. Hope it works to clear everything up.
We are off camping for the long weekend. So hope everyone has a good one.
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2005, 03:11:31 am »
Golly!  He is one brave boy, and what a brave mom for taking care of this.  It is very hard to treat a big dog with an obvious infection, especially the one Judge has...If the area is drying up, that is EXCELLENT, I am curious did he get cultured for staph?  I mean no disrespect to your vet, I am just wondering if they went on "sight"only or if they cultured the drainage from his wound.  I may have missed this info already in a previous post, so please don't think I did not pay attention.  It is the 22nd, how is he now?
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 06:55:32 am »
Judge is feeling wonderfull. His head is almost healed. We were camping all weekend and everyone had a great time. Judge enjoyed the great outdoors and playing with my Sisters dogs.
There was never a swab taken from the sore by the vet. I guess she just went on what the sore looked like. It seemed to have responded great to the treatments so I guess she was right on her observations. Thanks so much for all the concern. I really appreciate all the help. Everyones comments helped soooooo much.  :-*
Here is another pic. taken over the weekend.
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

dohertyswissy

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 08:41:30 am »
Karen - That is wonderful news!  I'm so glad that Judge is starting to feel back to normal and that his infection is almost healed.  Kudos to you for being such a fantastic Mom!

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 09:08:49 am »
He looks so much better!  GOOD job mom on the successful treatment!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Luvmydanes

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 10:48:08 am »
Yay!!! It looks SOO much better! I'm glad to hear he is feeling better.

Kandi

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2005, 11:05:21 am »
woohoo for Judge and his mom. Well done!!! I am sure both of you enjoyed the trip, and needed the break from the bathroom lol....

Give him hugs

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2005, 12:05:35 pm »
Ya!  Leo was very worried about Judge so I'm glad he's getting back to his healthy, handsome self!  That first pic you posted of the infection was so sad...

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2005, 04:37:22 pm »
Yah Judge! It is so nice to have that handsome boy feeling back to his old self! I am glad also that he has such a wonderful mom to take the "hits" that came along with the medicine job.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Jerry

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2005, 11:40:58 am »
Our Josh had a staph infection a while ago that apparently was caused by the thickest part of his fur(the white fur on his upper back)  not getting completely dry after a bath.  The vet said that that provides a perfect breeding ground for the staph bacteria.  The infection came on overnight...  very fast moving.

The spot was so uncomfortable that the vet had to sedate him so he could shave off the fur (the skin looked awful) and put the anti-bacterial cream on it.  He also had to take amoxycillan antibiotics for 10 days.

All in all a $250.00 experience.    But, Josh is now completely healed and we make sure he is completely dry after grooming or getting caught in the rain.

Offline Mommy2samson

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2005, 12:06:00 pm »
Wow Coon...poor judge...you are a great mommy...glad I picked you to be judges mommy... ;) I sure does look alot  better that when it all started.  The finger through the hair method of protection sounds like a good idea...keep up the GOOD work!! :)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2005, 12:33:59 pm »
Our Josh had a staph infection a while ago that apparently was caused by the thickest part of his fur(the white fur on his upper back)  not getting completely dry after a bath.  The vet said that that provides a perfect breeding ground for the staph bacteria.  The infection came on overnight...  very fast moving.

That is actually pretty common, when you train to be a groomer that is something they stress, to really make sure you dont send a dog home who is a tad bit wet in the undercoat. I guess like you said even when it rains, but I think the risk is bigger when you give a bath, because you run your fingers and hands through the coat and make sure they are wet and clean all the way down to the skin, if they are not getting totally soaked in the rain, they are usually not all that wet in under a thick coat.

It is also not uncommon among horses, they sweat so if you work a horse with long winter coat, rather than clipping it and putting a blanket on, you see that problem a lot. The sweat is coming from inside and then if they have a heavy coat, it is kinda "stuck" in there and THAT is a totally perfect environment for staph inf. No matter what breed animals, or humans for that matter. an environment that is moist and warmish and not very "airy" is the perfect place for the little mean staph. bacterias.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2005, 11:13:20 am »
We are also going through this, but thankfully Day-z is doing great.

Started off last Friday, i came home quite late and in her room was a smell of blood.  Could not see anything.  Later when stroking her, i discovered blood under her chin - the fur was quite soked and the blood was hard.  Next morning i took her to the vet.  They examined her and shaved her chin and half her face, and took a sample from the wound site.  They gave me spray and antibiotics.

Today I spoke to them, and the test results are back.  4 kinds of bacteria, 3 of which are handled by the existing antibiotics and 1 which is not.  So, she is now on SMZ-TMP as well.

$300 later and we are on our way to health.

The very annoying thing is, i think this started when she came back from being bathed at the vets with wet ears - i thought nothing of it, but that was Wednesday and it seems like the timing fits perfectly.

Shaved bits are all healed now, but she is scratching and biting elsewhere, hopefully this new medicine will help her with that.

Good luck all

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2005, 11:59:28 am »
Poor Daisy!  I hope you have a better time putting the ointment on than Coonie did with Judge!  I think a spray is a great idea if you could get all the meds that way.  I think I would be a little upset with your vet and I would say something to them if you think that she got the infection there.  That's just me.  It never hurts to voice your opinion.  It's not always easy to take a wound to the pocket book!  Good luck and please, please please post some more pics of Daisy!!!!???  She is soooo cute!