Author Topic: Poison Ivy  (Read 3507 times)

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Poison Ivy
« on: May 18, 2005, 05:45:46 am »
We believe our mal have poison ivy, has anyone has to deal with this, I am taking her to the dr at 9:00 this morning, but am not sure exactly what they will do for it. Will keep you posted. Also what kind of flea and tick medicine are your dogs on? We are on K9 Advantix but are still getting ticks!

GR8DAME

Re: Poison Ivy
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 07:37:14 am »
Merlin had some sort of allergic reation to weeds he last time we went camping and the vet put him on antibiotics to prevent infection of the open weeping pustules and benadryl twice a day to block the histamines. Worked great, he slept through the worst of the itchiness and irritability and healed up in no time. As for flea and tick, can't help ya there, I've never had either on my dogs. For camping I used the Hartz flea spray and gave them a good bath when we got home.
Stella

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 10:52:00 am »
Years ago we had a problem with our late gsd Cheyenne, the local vet (who misdiagnosed) said it was alergys. After a lot of oinments, this & that, my horses vet looked at him. Covered with "hot spots" ozzing (left stains on the walls) we thought we would have to put him down, it was horrible. Turns out he picked up mange from a fox on the trails. Antibio's cleared it up quickly.
I also have a problem with ticks. We are out on the trails everyday. The only thing I found that helps here on Eastern Long Island is a concentrate I use on my horses "guard star". The "permethrin%" is what you have to look at. Iv'e been checking them & since I started spraying them before we go, they haven't been picking any up.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 05:09:20 pm »
Thanks, well good news! It isn't as bad as it looks, she has a bacterial infection with yeast also. So we are on meds with spray and a flush for everytime she goes potty. Try cleansing a mal between their legs on their tummy everytime they go potty, not an easy task. I will keep the other remedies in mind since she does walk at a local park every day.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 05:21:51 pm »
Glad to hear it's better than first thought. We thought we had a poison oak scare the other weekend too but were told that dogs can't get it so all we needed to so was wash the fur so that we wouldn't get it spread onto us. As for fleas- we use Frontline Plus and give garlic pills. It seems to do the trick because regular use has prevented any and all fleas/ticks.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 05:16:16 am »
What type of garlic pills? I would love to use more natural remedies than medication. The vet says no fleas which is good but last night after she went to the park we pulled off 2 ticks, we also put lime down in our yard, seems copperheads are roaming the area, my neighbors dogs were bit and were paralyzed for 3 days.  I am going to research the difference in K9 Advantix and Frontline to see which one would be best, right now the K9 Advantix is wonderful with mosquitoes and fleas and most of the ticks were dead when we pulled them off.