Author Topic: can't sleep  (Read 2601 times)

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
can't sleep
« on: January 24, 2006, 01:18:38 am »
Some of you know that I started having seizures this summer. 
And that since then I've been trying to get them under control.

Today the doctor called and asked me to come in for an appt.
The current drug isn't working and it's time to give up on it.
That's the 2nd failed medication.
My chances of controlling seizures with medication now drops to 15% based on the type of epilepsy.

BPO-ers are made to beat the odds, right?

Already started a new med regime. 
Weaning off the old and ramping up on the new.

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: can't sleep
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 01:26:12 am »
I'm sorry to hear the medication isn't working.  Hopefully this new medicine will be the one!  I know you've been going through alot since this summer.  Snuggle your doggies and your husband!  You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 06:57:35 am »
we're thinking of you, good luck with the new meds.

Andy, Bell & Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 08:38:02 am »
We are thinking of you here in Snowvill.  ;D Hope all works out with your new meds. Fingers and frozen toes are crossed. Hang in there!!
Hugggggs.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

mjjensen

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 10:13:39 am »
Hope your new meds. work for you so  you and your pups can get out and enjoy all this new snow we've gotten.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 11:45:19 am »
If you need a cheering squad we are here!  I know, through Cowboy  ::), how tough it is to get the meds right, but I'm confident that it will work out!  I think sometimes it just takes time and patience along with BPO cheering you on!  It will work!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 02:59:47 pm »
Snuggle your doggies and your husband!  You are in our thoughts and prayers

Whew, for a minute there, I thought you wrote, "snuggle your doctors".  That would be an entirely different type of treatment.   ;D

I hope your new rounds of meds works.  It is frustrating when you have to sit and wait to see if they do what they are supposed to.  You will be in my thoughts.

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 04:27:12 pm »
I am so sorry that you are going through this.  I'll be saying a prayer for you!  I hope this medication is the one.

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 07:11:33 pm »
Snuggle your doggies and your husband!  You are in our thoughts and prayers

Whew, for a minute there, I thought you wrote, "snuggle your doctors".  That would be an entirely different type of treatment.   ;D

I hope your new rounds of meds works.  It is frustrating when you have to sit and wait to see if they do what they are supposed to.  You will be in my thoughts.

;D  "snuggle your doctors".   too funny.   
You guys always keep me laughing.

With all this good BPO MOJO coming my way this new med has to work!

Thank you everyone.

Wendy

"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 07:33:07 pm »
Whew, for a minute there, I thought you wrote, "snuggle your doctors

Hey, if the doc's one of those cute newly graduated types, I say GO FOR IT, Wendy.   ;)  It couldn't hurt!

Just keep in mind that while meds can be a great thing, they're not the ONLY thing.   I know from having spent 3 entirely unfruitful years trying to find a medication that would prevent my migraines that there are very few things in life more frustrating than waiting to find out if THIS pill is going to be the one. 

But there's a stuff you can do while you're waiting on the pills: learning to recognize the auras of your oncoming seizures so you can maximize your safety margins, getting training for your dogs to help you cope with seizures and their aftereffects, and you could also ask your doctors to refer you to a biofeedback program--that may help you. A regular support group or counseling might help you reduce your stress levels, which can't help but give you a leg up.   

You're a smart, strong, capable person, and I think you're coping beautifully.  Lesser people than you would have thrown up their hands--including me.   I appreciate your example and your honesty, and I hope I cope can learn to cope with things as gracefully as you do. 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad