Author Topic: really small poopers  (Read 9237 times)

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
really small poopers
« on: January 24, 2006, 04:09:29 pm »
yep...so...thi s may make me look really stupid, but here it goes.

about 6 months ago, i started giving cody that solid gold seaweed stuff....all was great until one morning he threw up golfball sized green balls.  took it to the vet, they thought he ate a plant (which for those of you who DO NOT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE DOGS ALL DAY) know if you are there with them, they absolutely did not eat a freaking plant.  i think it was the solid gold stuff.... around this time, cody had been putting on weight.  then, within a month he gained 15 pounds, and now looks like a whale.  did all the blood work, started starving him, more exercise...all that good stuff, and nothing.  not losing any weight at all.  the other thing is his crap is getting smaller and smaller, almost to puppy size.  WHAT IS GOING ON?  who knows?  the vets are not concerned....f resno or st louis....and since the blood work is ok they wont do anything else. 

who has an idea?  tell me its something simple.  or nothing at all.
NICKI

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: really small poopers
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 04:27:39 pm »
Are you still feeding the solid gold seaweed stuff???  If so, maybe he should have a break and see if it helps.  Cowboy's poops are tiny!  But he eats only meat and veg (a pound each meal) and no kibble so I think he uses most of it up!

Weird.  Maybe trying changing to food if it bothers you.....or not! ;D   If the vets aren't concerned and if he seems active and full of his usual Cody-ness, he's probably fine.....

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 04:31:20 pm »
OH NO!!  Poor Cody, and his weight issue!!  Kinda sounds like that seaweed stuff isn't good for his system.  Are you still feeding it to him?  If you are I think it kinda sounds like he might have a blockage somewhere, but I'm a huge overeactor so don't freak out by the blockage thing.  Maybe take him in for x-rays just to be safe.  Poor guy hopefully he'll loose the weight and get over the digestive issues.  Keep us updated on what you find out!

You could always send some of Cody's extra weight to Koby, he needs it badly!!  We've been calling him heroine chic lately cause he's so skinny!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 04:33:55 pm »
It seems like he is digesting as much of the food as possible, storing some, and barfing up the rest.  I think you should change food and take all the green plants out of his cage.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 04:52:23 pm »
well.....the day he puked up the green balls, he was off the seaweed.  and then i got him back onto his old food....so no more solid gold anything.  but without the seaweed or food, he is still fat with small poopers. 

i guess i could do the x-rays thing...cuz i am outta ideas. 
NICKI

Anakalia

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 05:01:53 pm »
Awww Nicki, don't look to far into my craziness!  Like I said I'm an overeactor and I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.  If he's still pooping that's a good sign.  If he hasn't pooped at all and is puking his food up then I'd say YES get him into xrays.  The seaweed stuff sounds EVIL and scary. lol  If you're feeding him a rich/high calorie food he may just be gaining weight because of that.  Maybe the food your feeding is so good that all the nutrients are going to his system and less waist is coming out, like what greek4 had said.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 05:05:24 pm »
Our guys haven't had any problems with the seaweed stuff that we have seen, but who knows - maybe they have huge green balls of gook sitting in their stomachs!
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 05:15:29 pm »
Just wondering??? Why do they even make sea weed dog food?? What are the benifits supposed to be??
Sorry Nicker nothing against you choice in food, I would likely try something new like this too. It just mkes you wonder why they would make a food with sea weed?
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 05:16:42 pm »
I'd be thinking about a good dose of cod liver oil about now, and possibly adding more liquid to his diet ( put him on skimmed milk for a couple of days) if he isn't ailing anything I wouldn't worry too much.

Andy Bell and Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 05:19:07 pm »
Just wondering??? Why do they even make sea weed dog food?? What are the benifits supposed to be??
Sorry Nicker nothing against you choice in food, I would likely try something new like this too. It just mkes you wonder why they would make a food with sea weed?
Coonie

coon it's this supplement crap.  you dissolve it in hot water, then mix the food with it.  the food itself is good, but cody got nasty loud gas so i took him off it.  i dunno. 
NICKI

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 05:25:39 pm »
Coonie

coon it's this supplement crap.  you dissolve it in hot water, then mix the food with it.  the food itself is good, but cody got nasty loud gas so i took him off it.  i dunno. 
Yeah, it is like a powder-type supplement, but it isn't really powder-y.  It is more flaky.  I guess it is supposedly good for their immune systems and other stuff.  The only real outward difference we have seen is that their coats are super soft....  But, like I said, they could be all plugged up with kelp on the inside!

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 05:30:20 pm »

Hey us people here in the North dont get out much.  You city folk are way ahead of us on this kinda stuff.
:-[ I didnt know that. Sorry.  :-[
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 05:33:16 pm »

Hey us people here in the North dont get out much.  You city folk are way ahead of us on this kinda stuff.
Coonie
No sorries!   I had no clue what the heck it was either til we started buying it.  :-*

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 05:37:14 pm »

Coonie

ha ha  :P
NICKI

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 05:38:00 pm »
Coonie

Yeah, it is like a powder-type supplement, but it isn't really powder-y.  It is more flaky.  I guess it is supposedly good for their immune systems and other stuff.  The only real outward difference we have seen is that their coats are super soft....  But, like I said, they could be all plugged up with kelp on the inside!

yep, i wanted a softer coat too....instead i got vomit balls!  GREAT STUFF!

im sure your dogs are just fine.  codys strange lol
NICKI