Author Topic: Canidae or Wellness? Please help us decide!!!  (Read 5675 times)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Canidae or Wellness? Please help us decide!!!
« on: April 02, 2006, 08:38:45 pm »
Ok we've narrowed down the choices for the newest food for both Lacey and Kali to Canidae All Life Stages or Wellness (lamb Formula).  We got small bags of each.  They'll eat both....we tried a taste test but they both gobbled all the kibble from both hands with equal love of it!! ::)  We were considering giving both...but then we decided there wouldn't be as many options for a switch down the road.  Lacey does tend to have allergies but we haven't isolated it yet plus she gets overweight easily.  She's currently getting Iams Chunks and Kali's getting the Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy.  So any help with which you guys prefer would be awesome because we are totally lost right now.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Canidae or Wellness? Please help us decide!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 09:06:31 pm »
I have fed both Wellness and Canidae and they are both good foods. For you I would recommend Wellness over Canidae because you said lacey has allergies that you haven't identified yet. Canidae has many different protein and carb sources, while wellness has only a couple, so the wellness is less likely to agrivate lacey's allergies.
RIP former BPO

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 04:35:34 am »
Wellness made some not-so-great changes to their dog food late last year, so you may want to reconsider switching to that brand. 

You can find more information here: http://forums.dogfoodproject.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=news&Number=32003&Searchpage=1&Main=32003&Words=wellness&topic=&Search=true#Post32003

If you're looking for a food that is less apt to aggrivate allergies, try something from the California Natural line.  Here's the nutrition info from their lamb and rice formula:

California Natural - Lamb Meal & Rice

Note:
This product uses a single alternative animal protein source and may be suitable for dogs that are allergic to regular ones like chicken or beef.

Ingredients:
Lamb meal, ground brown rice, ground white rice, sunflower oil, vitamins, minerals

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein: 21.78%
Fat: 11.3%
Fiber: 3.75%
Moisture: 9.5%
[Carbohydrates: 45.31%]

Calories
431 Kcal/cup

Other Nutrient Guarantees
Calcium: 1.49%
Phosphorus: 1.01%

Omega Fatty Acids
Omega 6: 4.2%
Omega 3: omitted due to allergy formulation

The minimal ingredients make it easy to pinpoint ingredients that may cause problems.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 07:17:23 am »
Hi,

We have also switched Winslow to Wellness (Lamb) It is made Locally to us here in Lowell, so we were happy to find a quality food that will keep some neighbors employed!!! Like Tina we are batteling the soft poo  we did one cold turkey transition, then re started a much slower transition. He has now ben full welness for 3 weeks and is getting better.

We have been adding canned pumpkin and Oatmeal to help the firming process.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline berners

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 08:23:40 am »
I can't comment on Wellness as i have not used it but i can tell you about our experience with Canidae. We recently switched to Canidae for all our dogs and all three are doing great on it. 2 of the 3 had always experienced soft stools and now that problem is gone. They all love the taste of it as well.
Jocelyne

Bart - Bernese Mountain Dog
Jessie - Leonberger
Cooper - Leonberger

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 08:40:07 am »
Ellie has been on Wellness lamb since summer. She is doing great on it! I changed her from Innova to Wellness in hopes of helping her UTI issues... She had a problem with crystals in her urine - so I decided to try her out on Wellness.... and the vet says her urine is much better -  The Ph is normal and barely any crystals!

After the months of UTI issues.... I am thrilled with Wellness!

Also, as an added bonus... Wellness uses hormone-free lamb
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 08:46:17 am by EllieAndBlu »

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 11:18:58 am »
I forgot to add, I believe the 'New' Wellness has menadione in it, the synthetic form of Vit. K.  Please read up on the dangers of this additive:

- causes cytotoxicity in liver cells

- causes formation of radicals from enzymes of leucocytes, with the consequence of cytotoxic reactions

- considerably weakens the immune system

- possible mutagenic effects

- damages the natural vitamin K cycle

- has no effect on coumarin derivatives, which are often present in commercial food due to mold contamination (toxic when ingested)

- causes hemolytic anemia and hyperbilirubin emia, not just linked to large doses

- disturbs the level of calcium ions (Ca2+) in the body, which is an important factor fibrinolysis

- is directly toxic in high doses (vomiting, albuminuria), unlike natural vitamin K

- builds up in tissue and has been detected in eggs, meat and milk of animals supplemented with menadione derivatives

- causes irritation of skin and mucous membranes

- causes allergic reactions and eczema

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 11:35:35 am »
I forgot to add, I believe the 'New' Wellness has menadione in it, the synthetic form of Vit. K. 

Is it listed in the ingredients as Menadione? All is see is: Vitamin K Supplement.

I would like to email the company for an explanation...

Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 12:25:17 pm by EllieAndBlu »

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 10:28:51 pm »
I am more than pleased with Canidae..Samso n finally has formed stools & they all eat less & poop less. :)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 06:34:14 am »
We decided on Canidae because Lacey loves it so much.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

k2campbell

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 07:32:28 am »
YAY for Canidea!  YAY!  Kate loves it too ;)