Author Topic: How many times a day do you feed your dog?  (Read 11601 times)

Offline Magnus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: How many times a day do you feed your dog?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 10:38:10 am »
Ive been free feeding Stan since day one and hes done really well with it. He'll eat a little, play with a toy, eat some more, rest, etc.  He never goes crazy when I put his food down because he has learned that its always going to be there.  Its tough balancing the food and crate training so its more of a modified free feeding I guess, but it has worked well.
StanLee- American Mastiff
Julie- Rottie
Steve- Pug/Jack Russel
Neeko- My old rottie friend waiting at the bridge

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 10:43:29 am »
Ive been free feeding Stan since day one and hes done really well with it. He'll eat a little, play with a toy, eat some more, rest, etc.  He never goes crazy when I put his food down because he has learned that its always going to be there.  Its tough balancing the food and crate training so its more of a modified free feeding I guess, but it has worked well.

i feed  depenging on age
pups 3 x a day, then 2 x a day,,,,,adults 1 x a day with snacks
all my pups come off puppy food at 3 months old  too, much protein, they will grow, and be :-*
better off. big and large breeds should never be heavy. and this is safer on all the joints.
my opinion
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 02:57:01 pm »
Gunther gets fed 3 x a day, and Keiko 2x a day.  I would love to be able to free feed like I used to (with Keiko), but she no longer leaves her food, she gobbles it all right away.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 06:41:23 pm »
Zoey gets 2 cups at each breakfast (7-8am) and dinner (5-6pm). We gave her lunch when we first got her, but eliminated the third meal at a pretty early age and have just increased the breakfast and dinner portions according to her needs... She also gets treats
RIP former BPO

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 08:19:15 pm »
I have two babies (one 12 weeks and one 5 months) and they both eat 3 times a day. My adult Great Dane eats three times a day as well, cause she is a bit skinny and also we are scared to death of bloat. Our other adult dogs eat twice a day.
 :)

Offline BellaRoosMom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2006, 09:17:34 am »
Along the same lines....Does everyone feed their Danes off the ground?  I used to have 4 feed dishes lined up, two for water and two on the ends for food.  Now its four for food and their own pond with fountain for water.  They drank the water so fast, and wanted to IGNORE the automatic waterer.  It gets so hot here that I feared they would get dehydrated if they drank it all.  Hence the need for their own pond!  Anyhow, their dishes are almost 2 feet off the ground so they are at chest level.  Everyone else does this right? 

Blair

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 09:34:43 am »
I feed my boys twice a day, except for my Chihuahua. Mr. Grey's dish is off the groud and Zeus' isnt.

k2campbell

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2006, 09:49:50 pm »
We are pathetic.  We feed Kate 4 times a day (I know, silly)!  I was just so scared of bloat when we got her, but realize I we were overdoing it...

1 cup 6:30am
1 cup noon
1 cup 4:30pm
1 cup 9pm

The noon feeding has GOT to stop because Eric is sick of coming home from work at lunch everyday, he's a 10 minute drive away from home (I'm an hour drive away).  We are going to switch to 3 meals starting this upcoming week, getting rid of the noon cup by adding 1/2 cup more to the morning and late afternoon meal...

I'm sure Kate doesn't mind having a paranoid momma though - more feedings and pats for her  ::)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 09:51:07 pm by k2campbell »

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2006, 10:14:52 pm »
I free fed Judge as well. It seems to work well. He eats about 6 to 8 cups of kibble a day. He never gulps down his food he just picks all day. Plus he gets a bit of leftovers as well.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 02:03:43 pm »
Einstein wasn't touching his bowl in the mornings, so I stopped putting food out until evening.  He would eat his food from the morning (about 2 1/2 cups) about 6:00 p.m. at night and still be hungry so I started giving him 5 cups in the evening and then he sleeps like a dog -- uh, I mean log!

Sarah

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 02:12:04 pm »
Cowboy and Chester both eat 2 x a day:  6:00am and at 5:00pm.  They both also get apples and peanut butter with me for lunch ::).  Yeah, I know.  Spoiled rotten!! ::)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2006, 10:02:20 pm »
i feed Sammie in the morning and night, bailey is that, plus lunch.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2006, 12:25:23 pm »
I confess, Eider man eats 6 times a day.  It started when he was having digestive trouble and he's SO persistent and excited about being fed that I can't seem to bring myself to cut him back to more normal meals.  All the other dogs eat twice a day, easier on their old tummies. 
Daphne

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2006, 07:48:57 pm »
I just fill up Goliath's 3QT bowl in the morning and he eats a little here and there all day. I dont think he has ever actually finished the whole bowl in  one day. My vet says he is in great shape and perfect weight so I am not too worried.

Matthew and Goliath

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2006, 09:33:39 pm »
I just fill up Goliath's 3QT bowl in the morning and he eats a little here and there all day. I dont think he has ever actually finished the whole bowl in  one day. My vet says he is in great shape and perfect weight so I am not too worried.

Matthew and Goliath

I do the same...My dogs get a measured amount of food but I let them work on it throughout the day.