Author Topic: Update on Max  (Read 4926 times)

mjjensen

Update on Max
« on: January 24, 2006, 09:49:17 pm »
 Max had his cardic ultrasound today and it turns out that he doesn't have SAS as they first thought. He actually has something called Ebstein's anomoly which I had never heard of. It is also a congenital heart defect and if anything the outlook for Max is worse than if he had SAS. He's only six month old but his heart is already so overworked that it is larger than it would be in a normal adult. He'll be lucky if he reaches maturity before he has heart failure. I was tempted to use this post to vent all my frustration toward people that irresponsably breed unsound dogs but there's nothing I could say that's going to change anything so instead I'm going to take the pups out for a good romp in the snow and take advantage of the time we have left. Thank you all for your thought and prayers.It really does mean a lot.

MommyOfSchnauzers

Re: Update on Max
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 09:55:45 pm »
I am so sorry.  I will say a prayer for you and for Max.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 10:27:48 pm »
I am so sorry to hear this.  It's very sad, and you will definitely be in my thoughts.  You spoil that little guy rotten.
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 12:19:50 am »
I'm so sorry.  Life IS unfair and how wise of you to maximize the good times!  If there is any positive to this, dogs seem to always try to maximize the good bits and love you to the last second....and beyond.  I wish I could think more like a dog.

You have our thoughts and prayers!!!

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 12:24:56 am »
I'm so sorry.  You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 01:38:11 am »
sending our love your way  :'(
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 10:23:45 am »
I'm so sorry to hear about Max, sending good thought your way.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 10:48:07 am »
I am so sorry.  :'(
Have fun with every day that you've been given to spend with Max.

Life is uncertain for sure. It just makes it harder when the outcome is already known.
I will be praying for you and your furbaby.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 02:43:39 pm »
This is horrible, but I'm confused.  Is Ebstein's anomaly different in dogs than in people?   ??? ???

The Ebstein's anomaly I'm aware of has to do with the valve between the atrium and the ventricle of the heart being malformed, with sometimes an additional hole in the heart wall between the two atria.  If this is the same congenital defect of the anatomy in dogs that it is in humans,  there's a well established surgical procedure.  My dad worked with a guy whose daughter was born with it--I even did a directed blood donation for her when she had the repair done.  She's a very healthy, happy (if a little short!) 16 year old girl now. 

Are they not offering you any options, or are the options just too expensive?  We could have a rummage sale...

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 03:24:46 pm »
I am so sorry to hear about poor Max.  I really can't think of anything else to say - it is so sad but as so many have said take the time to enjoy him and I know you will give him the best you have to give.

mjjensen

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 05:01:10 pm »
This is horrible, but I'm confused.  Is Ebstein's anomaly different in dogs than in people?   ??? ???

The Ebstein's anomaly I'm aware of has to do with the valve between the atrium and the ventricle of the heart being malformed, with sometimes an additional hole in the heart wall between the two atria.  If this is the same congenital defect of the anatomy in dogs that it is in humans,  there's a well established surgical procedure.  My dad worked with a guy whose daughter was born with it--I even did a directed blood donation for her when she had the repair done.  She's a very healthy, happy (if a little short!) 16 year old girl now. 

Are they not offering you any options, or are the options just too expensive?  We could have a rummage sale...

It is the same thing I think, a defect of the tricuspid valve between the right atrium and the right ventricle. The cardiac doctor that looked at Max yesterday is going to look into surgical options. The only one he had first hand knowledge of was a program at Tufts that cost $15000.00 and had a survival rate close to zero. I'm not sure why the surgery is successful in people and not dogs since i've heard that most open heart surgical procedures were perfected on dogs and pigs before being used on humans but anyway... He is going to check to see if there are any programs going on at The School of Veterinary Medicine At the U. of Illinois ,Texas, and a few others, that may have had better results but he was not sure that Max would be considered a good candidate because of his age and how far the problem has progressed. Believe me, if he finds somewhere that's doing this surgery with good results I'll morgage my house to make sure Max is taken care of but I won't put him through the pain and trauma and risk shortening his life even more unless I know there's a good chance he will survive to live an at least somewhat happy life. The doctor was very upfront with me and he made a point not to give me any false hope.  I haven't given up all hope but I have to be realistic about the situation and try to make the best of it for Max's sake.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 09:55:35 am »
Please kiss little Max for us, we are praying for him. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 11:14:25 am »
Aww Poor little Max. Keep your chin up Mommy and enjoy you time with him. You are both in my thoughts.
Kisses for you both.  :-*
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

k2campbell

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 09:40:03 pm »
I am so sorry about Max, but I really think you are doing the best thing you can right now by spending lots of time with the pups  ;)  My heart breaks for you, I couldn't imagine.  I hope that whatever time he has left is great (for him, Sam, and of course - you)!  I know that you will make it great for him, try to enjoy the time as much as you can... 

Please give Max (and Sam) a nice big hug & kiss from me and Kate  :-*  Max is in my thoughts and prayers, I'll be thinking about you...

Kelly & Kate
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 12:02:22 am by k2campbell »

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 11:43:42 pm »
 Believe me, if he finds somewhere that's doing this surgery with good results I'll morgage my house to make sure Max is taken care of but I won't put him through the pain and trauma and risk shortening his life even more unless I know there's a good chance he will survive to live an at least somewhat happy life. The doctor was very upfront with me and he made a point not to give me any false hope.  I haven't given up all hope but I have to be realistic about the situation and try to make the best of it for Max's sake.

My heart is breaking for you. I'm so sorry that you're going through this but wow, you've got a great attitude. Spoil him rotten and don't lose all faith. Miracles do happen. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge