Author Topic: Non-dog Hobbies  (Read 13757 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Re: Non-dog Hobbies
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2006, 12:13:56 pm »
I think I have found my niche in hobbies.  I am a self proclaimed margarita taster.  I will taste test any and all margaritas. 

After that admission, I think you would appreciate this Margarita recipe, it's an old Fraternity recipe and everyone raves about how good it is.

Ingredients:
1 can of Limeade
Tequila
Triple Sec
Beer (preferrably Corona but any Pilsner or light colored beer will suffice)
Ice

Scoop 1/2 the can of Limeade into the blender and put the other 1/2 into a container and save for the next batch of Margaritas.  Using the limeade can as a measuring device, pour the following amounts of the other ingredients into the blender:

1/2 can of Tequila
1/4 can of Triple Sec
1/2 can of Beer

Once that is all in, begin putting in the ice.  Keep putting ice in until it no longer sinks under the liquid and begins to pile up on the surface.  Cover and blend, starting slow and going all the way up.  It should be a perfect, Slurpee like consistency.  If it's not, keep it blending, open up that little opening in the lid and drop individual ice cubes in until it hits that perfect consistency.  Pour into salted (or not) glasses and be humble as the people begin showering you with raves and compliments!  It may take a few tries to get it perfect, but it's worth the effort.  You can't taste any of the alcohol in it!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 12:18:28 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2006, 12:20:24 pm »
That might need to be another non-dog hobby for you!  Sounds GREAT!!!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2006, 12:25:34 pm »
I used to be a bartender.  I like to spread the love.  ;)

Offline Mark Dozier

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2006, 01:37:29 pm »
From thje long list of responses it is obviouos that you are not spending enough time with your dogs.

I have never heard of a non-dog hobby. Even my time spent training to hunt and shoot better is for the express purpose of making it easier for the dogs to retrive the game.

NON DOG HOBBIES .. that is hearsy of the most gross nature......
Mark Dozier
servant of
Rolly - Walker Coon Hound
Ozzie - Maremma
Siearra - Great Pryenesse

Nicole

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2006, 01:41:06 pm »
Well....I really enjoy my boat in the summer time. There is nothing that makes me happier than loading my big hairy guy (Cabeza, not Mark!) and my super cool kid and the boyfriend into the boat, packing a lovely picnic and a nice bottle of wine, and heading out to Lake Michigan for the day.

Lake Michigan itself may be considered one of my hobbies. Can you say that? Lake Michigan is a hobby? Seriously, I go there rain or snow, summer or winter, and I obsess over its health and the quality of the water, shorebirds, etc. I've spent two summers working on e.coli issues at the Lake and I'm sure its where I'll end up working professionally . I love that dang Lake!

Hmm...I also enjoy maps and geography. I like to make maps, look at maps, talk about maps...

I absolutely LOVE to cook. My mom and my daughter and I will spend an entire week planning what we are going to cook on Saturday, and then we all get together and make it on Saturday nights. Its a wonderful weekend. Each one of us pick out a particular recipe or dish, and we all make the one we chose. (My 12 year old can cook Emeril under the table)

Someone else mentioned entertaining as a hobby, and I totally agree that is a hobby!!!! In the summer time, dinner parties are a twice weekly occurance at our house.

I also enjoy riding my bike, hiking, camping and reading a good book.

Icerotti

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2006, 02:07:54 pm »
I love seadooing in the summer. We goto  a river close to us and spend the day there. I can't wait to take Farley this year. Lexi loves going on the seadoo. She always wants to go faster--lil speed demon ;)

I am always up for a good book. I don't get to read as much as I use to though.

I goto the gym 3-4 times a week. I get grumpy if I don't get to go there ;)

Walking along the Niagara Parkway is beautiful.

Blair

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2006, 02:13:09 pm »
 I really dont have a very exciting life LOL My life pretty much revolves around my family. But we I am not doing something for or with them I like to write poems and do computer graphics. When we go up to Vermont in the summers I love hiking, but if I did that down here i would have a heat stroke :-\ So when I am down here in the summers I like going to the Beaches. Thats it for me, I dont do much that doesnt include my family or the dogs lol

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2006, 02:25:06 pm »
Wow, you all have such...normal. ..hobbies!!!

I sing bawdy drinking songs and play dress up. *lol* I'm 1/3 of an Accapella singing group. We travel all over the country performing at events, fairs, even business conventions. Here's our website: www.getwycked.org It's real fun, and my whole family gets to be involved.

I also sew all of the costumes that I wear, so I guess that's a hobby too.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Nicole

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2006, 02:27:02 pm »
YOU HAVE THE COOLEST HOBBY LEAH!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2006, 02:31:04 pm »
I hardly ever have as much fun without the dogs, but I do TRY (sort of,kind of ::) to have a non-dog life for very short periods of time).   I've always enjoyed traveling but after we had kids, it was more difficult.  We did drag them to lots of different places all over the country and to Canada, England and Italy.  Doncha know they don't remember hardly any of our adventures...s igh!!!

Darling husband and I try to get a trip in every anniversary... this year's a big one since it's the 30th.  We're going to Prague and Budapest and then back to Boston for the middle son's college graduation.  We haven't done a big trip for a number of years (well, to be totally honest, since we had Newfies)  but I do think it's important to connect without kids and animals from time to time.

All my other hobbies have the Newfs right there.  Cooking?  Newfs in the kitchen cleaning up any "spills".  Entertaining?  Newfs in the dining room....cleani ng up any "spills".  Gardening?  Newfs laying in the shade somewhere nearby.  Reading?  Newfs laying on my feet.  Road trips?  Newfs in the back of the car.   They are most excellent at going in to the handicapped stalls with me at the rest stops!! ;D ;D

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2006, 02:32:52 pm »
YOU HAVE THE COOLEST HOBBY LEAH!

Thanks! *lol* HUbby and I also do live-steel combat demonstrations . That's me kickin' his petard in the ring in that last pic.

We're basically a comedy act that sings, so we all know stage combat (for fight scenes in the act) in various forms as well as other individual specialization s. It's good fun, and I love that we just basically pack up all the kids in the summer and travel all over the place. The kids have a blast, and we even get to take the dogs sometimes. (depending on the rules of the event.)
Leah and the Boy-os
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Nicole

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2006, 02:36:32 pm »
MAN! I'm so totally jealous! I looked at your website, too. It looks like you have the best time!

How did you end up in the bawdy drinking song business?

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2006, 02:50:06 pm »
I love history, so I started going to a lot of Rensaissance Faires. I ended up signing up in a Guild to be a Noble in the Royal COurt. I started hanging out with one of the girls in the guild and we went to a singing class together. We both are really good at parody and decided to re-write the words to some of the songs we were learning.

That turned out so well that we decided to try and form a group. We had no idea it would get as big as it has. :o We now have two CD's released, and are working on our third.
Leah and the Boy-os
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)

located - Gig Harbor, WA

angelsmama

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2006, 03:59:06 pm »
mine arent near as interesting :P

gerbils,  beanie babies, and my guitar..   1st pic is Padme,  black one is Leia..  then theres Steven & Tyler,  Steven has the black eyes, Tyler has the red. My guitar :D And that's just a tiny portion of my beanie babies  :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 04:00:27 pm by angelsmama »

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2006, 05:12:33 pm »
From thje long list of responses it is obviouos that you are not spending enough time with your dogs.

I have never heard of a non-dog hobby. Even my time spent training to hunt and shoot better is for the express purpose of making it easier for the dogs to retrive the game.

NON DOG HOBBIES .. that is hearsy of the most gross nature......

Thanks for being judgemental.  There's a fine line between enjoying your dog and being obsessed.  I think it's fair to say that about everyone here on BPO spends more time with their dog than the average person, these aren't neglected dogs by any means.  Instead of a-huntin' and a-shootin' all the time, you should work on your spelling.  It's H-E-R-E-S-Y.  Just an FYI fer ya, in case you decide to throw around any more big words.  ;)