Author Topic: Newfies and Fleas  (Read 2186 times)

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Newfies and Fleas
« on: January 27, 2006, 07:06:49 pm »
I appreciate there may well be a difference between U.S. & U.K. fleas. but how many Newfie owners have found fleas on their dogs?

I ask simply out of curiosity. I have never found fleas on any of my newfs, an odd sheep tick maybe. (its mainly sheep round where we live.) but fleas never seem to appear? Both my current dogs swim just about every day, and I show them, so I am always up to date with grooming but I never find a trace of fleas. I put it down to the swimming and the oil in their coats. Or have I just been lucky?

I fully realise that having started this thread my next one will no doubt be "Help I'm inundated with fleas." but hey ho, such is life.

Has anyone any thoughts on the matter?

Andy
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Newfies and Fleas
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 07:29:09 pm »
I haven't had a problem either....but that said, we do use Frontline and Advantix (depending on who's getting it!)   We do get the odd tick...which I HATE!  That's darling husband's job!  I can't stand the little creepycrawlers!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 07:41:46 pm »
I think it's all in where you live.   I have to spray the yard about once a month here in the summer, as using frontline and sentinel both aren't enough, I'm in South Alabama (swampy and hot) and they're really bad here.  It seems the little black kind of ticks are really bad here as well.  (deer ticks maybe?)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 11:13:31 pm »
Kali's never really had any problems but last year wasn't bad for ticks and fleas.  Both dogs get Frontline or Advantix.  Occasionally we get ticks if they're out in high grass but that's it.  The main infestation problems are in kennels and the swampy areas.  I remember one year it was really bad but we haven't really had any problems since.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties