Author Topic: Allie's still having problems ....  (Read 8117 times)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Allie's still having problems ....
« on: January 25, 2006, 11:37:53 am »
I wrote about problems I was having with Allie last year , about still going potty in her kennel . So I moved her kennel in our room , and she did okay for awhile but still poops all over herself at least 2 times a week ! ( I just finally got my computer running or I would have wrote sooner ) I honestly cannot leave her in the kennel for longer than 3 or 4 hours or there will be a huge mess . I don't feed her after 4 pm , and she doesn't get put to bed until around 11 or 12 at night and by 3 am when my husband gets up for work there's a horrible mess . She doesn't whine or anything to let us know she needs to go . Is it just unreal of me to expect an 8 month old newfie to hold it for that long ? I've had her examined by my vet and everything looks fine , he thinks maybe one of my neighbors is feeding her without my knowing , but now I stay outside with her to make sure that's not happening and she still does it . Please help me as this is getting very old ! It's too cold to be dragging a kennel outside to hose it out so I have to wash it out in my shower ..... and bathe her in it too... yuck !  :-\
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Allie's still having problems ....
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 11:43:59 am »
I have NO idea!  That's so strange!  She really should be housebroken by now.  How much time does she spend in her kennel all day?  Is she getting lots of exercise?  A good walk right before bed might help her move stuff through at the appropriate time and place (outside!!! ;D ;D).

Maybe talk to a good trainer who can give you ideas?  Poor you!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 12:55:47 pm »
That is just so odd!!!  and so un-Newf like!  I've had four of the darling beasts and have never had a moments problem (okay, I take that back....my female was much more difficult than the males, but still, she was completely trained by 4 - 5 months....).  And the chewing thing stopped before a year...

All I can think of is a lot more exercise and lots of rewards when she does it outside....

Sorry, I can't be of more help!!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 06:55:46 pm »
Do you know what conditions the breeder had her living in? And when she was a puppy was she in the crate for long periods of time? One problem that you can run into is that if a puppy cant hold it and is forced to soil its crate, it can stop looking at it as a clean place and loose its sense of hygiene.

RIP former BPO

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 07:08:59 pm »
Im wondering if maybe you should get her a new crate? I have never crated Judge so I know anything about it but I know Judge goes in the same place outside all the time. Talking to a trainer would be a good idea too.
Chewing?? Judge chewed like a mad man but stopped around 1 year. At 8 and 9 months he was at his worst. I used to tell everyone that Judge never chewed shoes. He likes my table and head board best. ::)
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 07:17:01 pm »
Coonie may be onto something with a different crate. We had a wire crate--Farley would pee in it all the time. like this one  http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441809365&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302035804&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1138317169429
He would even go and open the door during the day just to pee in it ::)  Then I bought one of the plastic  ones like this http://www.epetpals.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=029695214004 except I go it at petsmart)

He loves it and does not pee in it. :o

Good luck with things.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 07:18:42 pm by Icerotti »

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 07:26:12 pm »
My mom had the whole housetraining issue with her puppy. It was solved when she started taking him for walks and she put up a long run for him between 2 trees. She puts him out often, about every hour on the run, and walks him for an hour every day. No food at night, no food or water in the crate. He does get a cookie if he goes right in the crate though, and his toy or his bone. It has really helped. He sleeps in the crate, but doesn't spend that much time in it, except when they are not home
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 07:35:32 pm »
Has she been spayed?  The peeing in the house could be the result of spay incontinence but there are drugs that help....I know cause our aussie has to take it...the cheapest one is Proin, I think.  Did the vet do blood, stool and pee tests?  Also the crate switch could also be a good idea...but as far as the peeing inappropriatel y it sounds alot like spay incontinence.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 07:44:34 pm »
Do you know what conditions the breeder had her living in? And when she was a puppy was she in the crate for long periods of time? One problem that you can run into is that if a puppy cant hold it and is forced to soil its crate, it can stop looking at it as a clean place and loose its sense of hygiene.

I was actually just going to ask a similar question - if you know what conditions she was raised in before you acquired her... 

Sometimes dogs that are raised in conditions where they are caged pretty much all day have no choice but to go potty right where they sleep, eat, etc.  They can be MUCH harder to potty train than dogs raised under other conditions, because they don't have that innate sense of not wanting to soil their "living area" - they have no boundaries, so to speak. 

I am NOT saying that this is the case here, but it is just something to keep in the back of your mind if you think there might have been a chance she was raised like that.

You are obviously a great Mommy with a lot of patience - it just may take a little MORE patience to get her through this...   ;D  Hang in there!

Now that your computer is back up, any chance of a picture?   ;)
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 01:53:49 am »
Hmmm I don't know what to tell you. When I was having trouble potty training (I didn't have a problem like you do with messing in the kennel, and it was only a prob with pee...anyway) The best advice that I got was to start from scratch with the training. Take her out every 20 min and really praise her when does the deed. Other than that I really don't know what to tell you, it seems like you are trying everything. I would also talk to a trainer like others have suggested. But as long as you are consistent with training it will get better.
Good luck ;D

Nina
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 01:54:13 am by Nina »
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline charlieinnj

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 11:35:45 am »
At her breeders she was kept in a kennel type setting with outdoor runs and they always used to potty outdoors there .

I would definitely do as the others have recommended and start back at square one with the potty training. IMO, Allie seems to have rec'd the wrong message during her time at the breeders. A kennel with an 'outdoor run' is nothing more than a supersized crate with plenty of room to go the bathroom at one end and sleep at the other. She needs to be reprogrammed to not go potty during confinement, regardless of it's size.

Offline wrknnwfs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 10:54:19 pm »
How much are you feeding her?
Jane, Hugo, Piper...
and Yogi (waiting just beyond)
Heart of America Newfoundland Club
http://www.hanc.net
Lickskillet Dog Training
http://www.lickskilletdogtraining.com

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 11:05:06 pm »
Try feeding her in her crate, I did this with my little nala who was hard to crate train and now she refuses to do anything in her crate. When she is not feeling well she will use one corner and not go near it until I get home to clean it out.  She could also be nervous, do you know if she has separation anxiety, since you are pretty much with her during the day then at night she is not directly with you and she could feel that if she pottys that is a way to get your attention (good or bad does not matter) and have you closer to her more often. I have went through that but it was them begging to go outside or purposely making noise until I got up and talked to them. Both of my girls (6 mos and 1 yr) are out of crates at night and generally sleep at the foot of the bed or on the floor. Tonka (1yr) sleeps directly beside me on the floor and if I move she is up and ready. 

Offline wrknnwfs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 08:14:36 am »
6 cups a day is a whole lot more than most Newfs need. Even puppies. If she is older than 6 or 7 months, she should be on two meals a day. 4 cups/day would be plenty and maybe too much. My adults eat 1 to 1/5 cups per meal, twice a day.

She is probably getting so much food that she can't help but poop all the time. Cutting her back will help control the amount that comes out but you will still have to go back to house training.

Also, some dogs don't tolerate Canidae very well so consider switching her to something else. If her poop smells or is soft,  she probably isn't tolerating it well.

Feel her ribs. If you can't feel them, she is too fat and is getting too much food. How much does she weigh? At 8 months she should be around 80 lbs. maybe less for a bitch. Much more than that MAY mean she is too fat and getting too much food.

Some Newfs are difficult to house train. Most are not but some are. I have one that wasn't house trained for over a year due to anxiety problems. She would poop in her crate and smear it too. She was a stress pooper. Any stress or big excitement made her poop. So we worked on those issues to get her more relaxed.

I have a boy who was 9 months old before he could be trusted to be loose at night. He picked up housetraining quickly but if not confined at night, he would poop in the living room. I took on a foster girl at that time and he quit soiling at night. Probably too embarrassed. LOL

Just be patient and stick with your plan. Don't get angry with her or she may start eating it. The girl I spoke of above also had that problem but dealing with her anxiety cured it.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 08:32:54 am by wrknnwfs »
Jane, Hugo, Piper...
and Yogi (waiting just beyond)
Heart of America Newfoundland Club
http://www.hanc.net
Lickskillet Dog Training
http://www.lickskilletdogtraining.com

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 08:16:04 am »
Has she been checked for separation anxiety. Tonka was diagnosed with it yesterday and they gave me a medicine to try for a week to see how it reacts with her it is Calmican(sp).  Basically we all know she loves her vet and has a favorite one there. He came in to see her and played with her then told me to leave the room. She went absolutely nuts whining, pacing the floor, etc... Also last week she jumped the fence right after brandon left and has never done this before. My friend's Samoyed would poop allover the place when she would leave her house and destroy everything due to his anxiety. Try talking to your vet or a trainer regarding separation anxiety issues. Good Luck