Author Topic: Kitty trouble - Urinary obstruction FLUTD?  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Kitty trouble - Urinary obstruction FLUTD?
« on: January 26, 2006, 01:57:06 am »
Very upsetting night here. My boy kitty Gus was not himself this evening when I arrived home from work. He seemed pretty normal at lunchtime when I came home to walk Sadie. He was howling when I walked in the door this evening and his belly was very swollen. I immediately took him to the vet and was informed that he had a urinary obstruction or Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease. It is apparently very serious. Had I waited the night to see if he was ok in the morning, his kidneys would have failed from the toxins and he would most likely have died according to my vet. He had emergency surgery this evening to remove the obstruction and they just called to let me know that he's out of surgery and stable. Now all I can do is wait to see how he does when the catheter comes out.  Both my girls are beside themselves, as am I. Sadie is not her normal bouncy self - she's been very quiet and just kind of sitting by me. Maggie is running around the house looking for Gus. It is breaking my heart. She's been with him since she was 8 weeks old with the exception of one night when she was spayed. He's like her big brother - she follows him everywhere. I'm trying to be positive but if anything goes wrong and I lose my little boy I think I'll die. Does anyone have any experience with this? Anyone know anything about it? I looked it up online and found some information. It can be related to stress. Could this have happened because I brought Sadie home? He didn't seem stressed at all, in fact he was playing with Sadie just this morning.  But I'm feeling so guilty thinking I might have caused this. If anyone has any info about this condition, I'd appreciate it. I'm worried sick and terrified that this is my fault somehow.

I can't tell you how awful it was to sit there with my little boy in my arms, listening to him scream and not be able to do anything for him. Then to sit in the exam room while they're working on my cat out back and have a vet tell me my two options are an expensive surgery or euthanasia. Where's the option there? I don't understand. Sorry just needed to vent I guess.

Say a prayer for my boy please?
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

cricket36580

Re: Kitty trouble - Urinary obstruction FLUTD?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 08:25:09 am »
Oh bless your heart!  I'm sure he'll be fine.  Boy anything will develope urinary problems and it just happens.  There are LOADS of factors and sometimes you still can't point a finger at any one reason.  Just keep an eye on him when he gets home.  I think if it happens once it will again.  Not very encouraging but it's best to be forewarned.  I'm thinking about you guys...{{{hugs}}}

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 09:28:50 am »
Male cats who have been spayed are at increased risk to develop urinary tract blockages. I've never heard that stress can cause it, but because they happen so often I'd imagine almost anything can happen right before a cat gets one.

As for recovering, one of my cats ate a rock, and had an intestinal obstruction. Her kidneys were in the process of shutting down at that point. She had surgery, and recovered quite well. So it's good that you caught it in time!

A vet recommended to me that a reasonable daily intake of water may possibly help avoid urinary blockages. Since you can lead a cat to water but you can't make him drink, one way to accomplish this is to feed canned food daily. Then you know he's getting at least some liquid every day. That's what I've done for my male cat, who is now 15 years old and going strong.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 09:34:13 am by mtaig12 »
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 11:32:14 am »
MY parents cat had a nasty infection like yours ans they were given the same options as you, expensive surgery or pts. They got the surgery, and he's is fine now. They feed him canned food daily and he does get some dry stuff too. With the canned food they put a little bit of water in it and mix it up. He hasn't had an infection since the surgery. I'm sure that Gus will be fine. I'm sending prayers your way.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kitty trouble - Urinary obstruction FLUTD? UPDATE
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 12:33:37 pm »
<Oh I'm so sorry!  We've been dealing with FLUTD with our youngest kitten, but knock on wood, no obstructions yet, just nasty infections.  Did your vet tell you what type of obstruction was removed?  A lot of times there will be calcium deposits, or crystals, in the urethra that get stuck.  Increasing water and using canned food are defintely ways to help get those nasty things out if they start to build up.  What kind of catfood are you currently using? >

Vet just called to let me know that he's in "fair" condition. They can't get him to eat, but he has taken a little water. Vet says he's head butting all the vet techs and being really affectionate (that's my boy!) so they think he must be feeling much better as he wouldn't be doing that if he was still in pain. Vet diagnosed him with urinary obstruction struvite crystals. He said most likely a special diet will be necessary to increase the acidity of his urine. They're still not sure when he'll be able to come home, but I can go visit him tonight. Should I visit or will it just upset him when I leave? I miss him horribly, but I don't want to make it harder on him.

I just have to vent a little here, hope that's ok. I mentioned that the vet came in and told me with the obstruction my options were surgery or that awful E-word. The surgery was incredibly expensive but what choice did I have? Those were my options? Where's the option there? Of course, I had to do some financial magic, but it's worth it. But there was another woman in the ER with me who had a kitty, don't know what was wrong with him, but she basically got the same options I had only she didn't have the money. She was pleading with them to help her and they simply said that they don't offer payment plans and what did she want to do? She was on the phone trying to figure something out when I left. Is it this way at every veterinary hospital? How can they do that to you? You're desperate, and you'll do anything and they hit you with incredibly expensive fees and give you no options for financing.  I just think that's awful and terribly unfair. What are you supposed to do? And I'm facing the very real possibility that this condition of my boy's may be something that I can't afford in the long run. I'll make it work somehow, I'll refinance my house if I have to, that's my CHILD. But what about people who don't have that option. Do they just have to put their animals down or let them die? That's awful!

Anyone here have pet insurance? How worth it is it to have it? Also anyone in the Southern NH/Northern MA area know of any 24 hour clinics who will work with you financially? Hopefully, he'll just be ok and it won't happen again but just in case.

My little princess Maggie was lost this morning without Gus. She wouldn't eat anything and just kind of wandered around. Sadie was being really sweet with her, trying to get her to play and giving her kisses, but she wasn't having it. She misses her brother. Hopefully, when I go home to check on everyone at lunch I can get her to eat something. She's still a kitten really, she's only 8 months old and she's never been away from him except for when she was spayed. I call them my bookends because wherever he is, she is. I don't know what we'll do if something goes wrong. I don't know how I'd ever live without him. He's so special. He's more like a dog than a cat really, even friends of mine who hate cats love him. There's just something about him. He's a tough little guy though, I have to have faith in him. Thanks for the prayers guys, I really appreciate it. Keep em' coming! My furry little family needs all the help we can get!
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline loden

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 10:06:29 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear about Gus, I hope he is doing better. Low magnesium food is really important; you might also consider giving him vitamin C, it can help to acidify urine. Hugs and best wishes to gus!!!!!

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kitty trouble - (Update)
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 12:24:08 am »
I went to see my boy this evening and he looked just awful. I keep trying to tell myself that he just had surgery and that's why he looks so bad, but it's hard to see your baby like that. I was really glad I went because he was so happy to see me. Even though he was totally out of it, he knew who I was and gave me a little "hello". When he meows it sounds like he's saying "Mom", always cracked me up before, tonight it made me bawl my eyes out. He kept trying to head butt but he had a lampshade on. He is running a very high fever, probably an infection and they're trying to bring it down with antibiotics and fluids. Looks like he won't be coming home tomorrow. Depends on how he does once the fever breaks and the catheter comes out. Poor boy, he's so uncomfortable and I wish I could make him feel better.

My Dad, who loves Gus almost as much as I do told me not to worry if it gets more expensive. He said he knows how important he is to me and he'll help me out if I need it. That was a relief. Hopefully, he'll just be ok after this but it's nice to know the support is there if I need it. I'm very lucky to have a Dad like that.

My poor girls are freaking out. Sadie seems to know something is wrong and she's so quiet. Maggie is still not eating and she won't come down from on top of the refridgerator. I'm exhausted and sad and scared. Things have been so stressful with Sadie coming home, this was just the last thing we needed right now. But I've got faith in the little guy. He's a Superstar, he'll get through this. Thanks for all your prayers and information.
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 01:57:36 am »
I'm so sorry to hear of your kitty baby's trauma!!...Right now, my Maine Coon, girl is battling a bowel obstruction which we are aggressivly treating with cat laxative, moist food, & olive oil...I'm shampooing the carpet alot but it is well worth "fixing" her without the trauma of surgery...I am sending prayers for a speedy recovery for your hissy baby!