Author Topic: Cowboy's titres.....good news and total frustration!!  (Read 2856 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Cowboy's titres.....good news and total frustration!!
« on: January 26, 2006, 12:19:24 pm »
After my rant about the cost of titres for Cowboy,($600, in case you missed it  ::)) I just got back all the results.  Good news for him...he's protected on everything!  He doesn't need immunizations for another year!  But here's the part that has me totally frustrated:  it was $200+ JUST for the rabies titre and the results are.....no result!!!  He's protected  but no one will accept the rabies titre because the lab will not give a numerical result; nor for hepititis (I think???).  So I spent around $300 for nothing!  I know he's okay, which is good, but Therapy Dogs International probably won't accept his result...and we risk sending him in to seizure if he gets immunized when he doesn't need it!!!  I'm going to try, though, and if necessary call them to see if they will take him anyway.

Low gutteral growl, here.  It is such bull poop that we have to go through this!! >:(

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy's titres.....good news and total frustration!!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 03:38:06 pm »
That totally sucks!  It worries me to give the puppers unnecessary vaccinations, but we want them to be protected too.  Sheesh--$600!  At least you know he is safe!

Give your doggies hugs from us! :)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 04:00:46 pm »
Wow that is expensive! I know what you mean about not wanting to risk putting him in a seizure.  I'm going the titre way too and the rabies one is $167.00.  I can't believe that they are doing this!

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

k2campbell

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 09:29:00 pm »
That is ridiculously expensive, my gosh!  I'm sorry about the cost (but) am glad to hear Cowboy is protected and healthy!  ;)

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 09:30:13 pm »
I am glad to hear all is well. Gosh it was very expensive though.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 10:16:02 pm »
How many years ago were his last vaccines given?

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 10:33:24 pm »
He had his last immunizations about almost two years ago.....right before we adopted him.  He's three now.  It's just so frustrating that the rabies titre won't be accepted by the State of California! 

Oh, well.  At least he's healthy now!! (and we won't have to face this for another year!);D

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 10:39:51 pm »
If it has only been 2 years did he have to be titred for TDI?
I was told they will accept vaccines for 3 threes before you need to and it reads that on their site also.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 10:44:38 pm »
The renewal form that I received required a physical, vaccines, and a fecal test (which he had in December when he got so sick).  I was surprised as well but they said that is their annual requirement... :-\

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 11:46:31 pm »
The renewal form that I received required a physical, vaccines, and a fecal test (which he had in December when he got so sick).  I was surprised as well but they said that is their annual requirement... :-\

Hmm I'm going to have to ask my friend about this since I know she does not vaccinate yearly or run titres. Since I will not either if this is a new thing I won't even bother with TDI.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 01:32:40 am »
As I understood it, Cowboy had his puppy shots and the first rabies immunization is good for a year.  Then they get the second immunization that is good for three years.  That's the one he hasn't had.  He's only had the first one.  He started seizing at about 14 months (a guess, since he wasn't with us then) so we haven't done any immunizations.  He was titred last year for his TDI...but the rabies was still good then.  And you are right. It is a legal issue.  According to State law he has to be immunized against rabies.   But there is a fairly good chance that he could seize from it.....we've been through that before and if we have to do that, of course we would.  It's just the longer we go between episodes, the better chance we have of "healing" the seizure track.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 11:26:14 am »
Be sure to call TDI since according to my friend who is an evaluator for them and who does not vaccinate yearly (do to a dog with reacions) vaccines are ok with TDI for 36 months without the need for titres. Also your vet can send a letter  saying the dog "should not be vaccinated for (blank) reason" too.
Won't help with the rabies vaccine laws but atleast you would no longer need to titre or vaccinate for the others.